Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on a year with a 2014 Base Cayman, manual transmission. Drive it every day, all weather, all conditions.

As I had never driven a 911, and had an opportunity to do so recently, I went for a 911 test drive (The 911 was loaded with all the go-fast goodies).

I must say the 911 was gorgeous; big and powerful.

As I returned to the Cayman, it struck me how much I preferred the simple, nimble balance of the Cayman.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Regards,

-SDJ

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Got to drive a '13 Carrera S on-track under managed conditions. Porsche event. Was able to get it at least into 3 figures which was nice. To slow in the corners, though. Also got to drive a '13 Base Carrera up some nice curves around my neighborhood the same year. This was more interesting as my 'driving partner' was a fully insane 80 year old. Still can't believe we didn't end up in the guard rails....so good-on to the Carrera for be VERY VERY forgiving.

Great cars. To big for me. 911's these days are not 'sports cars' but they are amazing GT's. Nothing wrong with that. 987/981 are the reigning go-carts of the Porsche lineup. If I won a new Carrera S in some random competition...I'd just trade it in for a 981.....OR....sell it and try and get a 930. Wishful thinking. LOL.

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
981s are much closer in spirit to what the 911 was in its youth. Not much question about that. Nothing wrong with 991s except for the fact that you're paying so much more for essentially the same hardware. Those two vestigial back seats will likely cost you more than any two artisan-crafted chairs at the swankest boutique furniture store in town.

The smart money buys a 981 plus a new Jeep or SUV for the same money. :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I drove a 991 S and 4S at a Porsche event. Loved the car.

Stylistically it is classic and my mind the pinnacle of classic Porsche styling. That being said I consider the 981 a baby Carrera GT in so many ways aesthetically. I'm torn in this area because both so subjectively awesome. The interior is the exact same in both except instrument cluster has more gauges in the 991.

Definite more power in the 991. It just pulls and feels faster. only drove PDK. They were both fun to throw around and both held their ground.

The 991 is and feels a lot larger than the 981. I feel the 981 fits like a glove. When I test drove I was not biased by owning 981.

Ultimately, I went with the 981 because it just felt more practical in price and what my needs are at this time.

Would I trade for an equally optioned 991S? Sure mainly because the MSRP would be at least double what I paid for the car.

Would I buy one in lieu of my car? Clearly not at least at this point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Test drove a 991 Base with PDK and a 991S with 7MT.

I like the steering on the 981 better.

In terms of sound - the Cayman (particularly the GTS, even with PSE off) gives you a lot more of that for better or worse... It's one of those things that's really cool and fun on short drives, but gets annoying on long ones in my experience.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Definite more power in the 991. It just pulls and feels faster. only drove PDK.
I didn't feel it on the manual. For example, it actually felt like the Cayman S 6MT pulled harder in 6th gear than the 991S in 6th gear (in 7th gear you get practically no acceleration.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I drove both 991 and 981 in various configurations and clearly liked the 981 better in term of driving dynamics and looks. I only wish they would offer a 981 with a 3.8 and 400hp in a regular road going model. That would be a hoot to drive!

For me the only advantage of the 991 is the rear seats, so my kids can come for a drive, but for that purpose I have other cars. I'm grateful that Porsche is offering such a great pure sports car at a reasonable price.

·
Noob
857 Posts
I never got the 911 for a few reasons
1] Cayman looks better
2] mid-engine balance, and also affects [1]
3] Lower base price, so I could add in a whole bunch of options to my liking
4] I have not much use of a 4-seater and have a beater car to deal with that problem if it arises

The only 911 that I would have considered, would have been a GT3, but that was going way out of my budget, considering the options I wanted.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have owned and driven all of these cars so I have a few thoughts.I do not track my cars but have driven them all at high speeds and on plenty of twisty roads. I have had 3 Boxsters,3 911s and 2 Caymans.2 Panameras...I currently have a 2014 Cayman S..I traded in a 2007 911 S for it and have NO regrets.I have spent a decent amount of time in a 991S as well..The 991S is a very good car but I don't think it a great 911..I had a 3.2,993,997S..the 991 feels like a different car..Its too big and to luxurious for me..It is by far a better performer than the 997but I do feel it lacks the character of what I have always liked about 911s..I actually had a 991S as a loaner yesterday and was happy to get my 981S back..the 981S is just more fun to me..This is the only reason I drive these cars..FUN..I don't need backseats.The 981 just feels better connected..The steering and balance feel better to me and its smaller and lighter..this all equals more fun...I do have a 1 year old boy and I am considering getting a 911 and if I do it would most likely be a 997 GTS..Recently I had a 997 GTS cab for a few days and then had a 991C4S cab for a few days..The 991 was by far a better car..faster into corners and a more stable front end feel at speed.But the 997 seemed more like a sports car.It felt more raw..I might go back and get one or move forward and get a Cayman GTS if they are offered as a 2016 model..I just don't think I could do a 991 yet..it just feels plain to me..A very fast and incredible driving experience but not my cup of tea..All of these cars are too fast for the road so I really need a car that makes me smile ...The 981 is really the best car out there and for the money wow its a deal!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have owned and driven all of these cars so I have a few thoughts.I do not track my cars but have driven them all at high speeds and on plenty of twisty roads. I have had 3 Boxsters,3 911s and 2 Caymans.2 Panameras...I currently have a 2014 Cayman S..I traded in a 2007 911 S for it and have NO regrets.I have spent a decent amount of time in a 991S as well..The 991S is a very good car but I don't think it a great 911..I had a 3.2,993,997S..the 991 feels like a different car..Its too big and to luxurious for me..It is by far a better performer than the 997but I do feel it lacks the character of what I have always liked about 911s..I actually had a 991S as a loaner yesterday and was happy to get my 981S back..the 981S is just more fun to me..This is the only reason I drive these cars..FUN..I don't need backseats.The 981 just feels better connected..The steering and balance feel better to me and its smaller and lighter..this all equals more fun...I do have a 1 year old boy and I am considering getting a 911 and if I do it would most likely be a 997 GTS..Recently I had a 997 GTS cab for a few days and then had a 991C4S cab for a few days..The 991 was by far a better car..faster into corners and a more stable front end feel at speed.But the 997 seemed more like a sports car.It felt more raw..I might go back and get one or move forward and get a Cayman GTS if they are offered as a 2016 model..I just don't think I could do a 991 yet..it just feels plain to me..A very fast and incredible driving experience but not my cup of tea..All of these cars are too fast for the road so I really need a car that makes me smile ...The 981 is really the best car out there and for the money wow its a deal!!
Well said Joey! I got your PM and replied, but it said that you can't receive PMs. In a nutshell, I still have the old 911s and they are a hoot!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of these cars are too fast for the road so I really need a car that makes me smile ...The 981 is really the best car out there and for the money wow its a deal!!
:)

Like it.

That's the way the 911 (even the base!) felt for me: too many horses, and too big-a-carriage!

·
Registered
392 Posts
The really smart money buys a 991S AND a Macan Turbo :)
I guess I am not that smart then, I have a 981S (missed it by one digit!) and Macan Turbo :hilarious: (friends are pretty jealous though)

Reactions: KRG and chows4us

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I test drove a 997 GTS before I got the 981S. I have to say the previous gen 911's are beautiful and the GTS with flared rear end and such are great. The 997 was super fast. The car had PDK as it was a 2012 my 981 has 6MT. It was nice but on the freeway on ramp which was a 360 turn I was like wow...I really feel the rear weight bias vs the mid engine. For me... But seriously...fast... when I drove the Cayman after I felt slooooowww... really.

- 911 felt too rear heavy... probably I'd get used to it, but for twisty road fun I really like the Cayman
- the 911 felt too big inside... I know some people need a rear seat, but when I got in I was like wow... I feel like I'm in a regular DD car... I wanted something smaller, special, more of a fighter jet, sports feel.
- The 911 was too quiet...that engine is way out there, even with the exhaust on it seemed silent compared to having the engine of a boxster/cayman right behind your head.
- The 981 was new, newer interior, and warranty.

·
Registered
504 Posts
As a current 981 BS owner with a 991 Turbo on order, I can tell you that there are things I will miss about the BS. I can also tell you that the first time I flatten the loud pedal after a full length exhaust and GIAC stage II tune, I'm not really going to remember what those things are.

Quite honestly, I would like a little more room and a bit quieter cabin. When my wife and I weekend in Albuquerque, the 3 hour drive is a bit frenetic and I'm tired of putting my stuff in someone's lap when I have a passenger. I'm looking forward to a rear storage area and a big fat torque curve.

- Patrick

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Reactions: PMNewton

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
As a current 981 BS owner with a 991 Turbo on order, I can tell you that there are things I will miss about the BS. I can also tell you that the first time I flatten the loud pedal after a full length exhaust and GIAC stage II tune, I'm not really going to remember what those things are.

Quite honestly, I would like a little more room and a bit quieter cabin. When my wife and I weekend in Albuquerque, the 3 hour drive is a bit frenetic and I'm tired of putting my stuff in someone's lap when I have a passenger. I'm looking forward to a rear storage area and a big fat torque curve.

- Patrick
Surely a Boxster has just as much storage space as a Turbo, doesn't it? No back seats, but plenty of room up front (where the Turbo's frunk is reportedly much smaller due to the AWD hardware) and in the rear trunk (which doesn't exist at all in the 911.)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts