Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 Boxster GTS and have plugged in my 80gb iPod classic. If I switch off the car I presume that the iPod does not draw any power (as was the case with previous other manufacturers e.g. Jaguar). The iPod cable doesn't have an indicator light which would draw power. However, I can't find any confirmation on this and would like to avoid having to unplug the iPod every time I switch off just to be sure.

The PCM manual states "Do not leave your iPod®, USB storage device or an external audio source in the vehicle for extended periods of time because extreme ambient conditions (temperature fluctuations, humidity) can occur in the vehicle" but this concerns damage to the actual device and not effect on the battery.

Elsewhere on this forum I've found a reference to a previous study conducted but the link is broken. Any assistance appreciate and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
84 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 Boxster GTS and have plugged in my 80gb iPod classic. If I switch off the car I presume that the iPod does not draw any power (as was the case with previous other manufacturers e.g. Jaguar). The iPod cable doesn't have an indicator light which would draw power. However, I can't find any confirmation on this and would like to avoid having to unplug the iPod every time I switch off just to be sure.

The PCM manual states "Do not leave your iPod®, USB storage device or an external audio source in the vehicle for extended periods of time because extreme ambient conditions (temperature fluctuations, humidity) can occur in the vehicle" but this concerns damage to the actual device and not effect on the battery.

Elsewhere on this forum I've found a reference to a previous study conducted but the link is broken. Any assistance appreciate and thanks in advance.
I did a test on my 2014CS that has the PCM 3.1 with Bose and Navi and it also has the premium plus package with entry and drive so the key fob in your pocket activates the car when you get in the car. So I don't know if your car will respond the same as mine if you do not have the same options.

I first plugged my iPad into the USB port in the glove box and the iPad started to charge. I then got out of the car and checked it a couple of times and it was charging each time I looked but the level of charge remained the same so I assumed that it timed out and turned off but started to charge again when I opened the door to look. For the next test I got a 6' USB cord and put the iPad on the roof and closed the door. When got in the car the iPad would start to charge and when I got out and locked the door the iPad would stop charging after a few seconds. So in conclusion I think that the USB ports does not power the USB port when the car is off and locked and would not put a drain on your battery.
Jim

Reactions: deilenberger

·
Registered
163 Posts
I concur with 981cayman's post. I have a 2014 Boxster S with premium package and entry & drive. I have an old iPod Classic plugged in the glovebox USB and it's been there most of the last six years. No battery drain issues that I'm aware of. Sometimes when I don't drive the car for a while the iPod is slow to be recognized and it starts whatever playlist I have previously selected from the beginning instead of where it left off when the car was parked. Most of the time everything is good to go and I keep a Ctek charger plugged in if it's the garage for more than a few days without being driven.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I chatted to Porsche earlier and they confirmed that when the car is locked there is no power sent to the USB port so no issue with battery drain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You already have the answer and I agree - 2015 CS - I leave my iPod Touch always plugged into the USB port. If I do not drive it for a while the iPod takes a few seconds to wake up and start charging. You are good to go

1 - 5 of 5 Posts