Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since no one took me up on the offer to put the various 981 articles into our Articles section here, I took the time to do it for nearly all of them while sitting around in my father's hospital room with not much else to do. I am a bit disappointed that more members haven't been contributing to our Articles section, especially when something like uploading a magazine article excerpt is so easy to do (as opposed to say crafting an article on your own).

I understand that many 981's aren't in the hands of owners yet, but some are, especially Boxsters. We've had several 981 Boxster owners active in this forum but as of yet there isn't a single 981 "How To" article in our Articles section. Compare that to the plethora of 987 articles. I'm not saying that an article has to be elaborate, certainly that's up to the author, but something as simple as "How do I change my air filter" or "How do I change my oil", simple service items on a 981 are well within the capability of our members.

One of the things that separates this forum from others is the stated goal of members helping other members. This forum is not supposed to be a place for "Hey look at me" posts but rather members helping other members so that we ALL get more out of our cars. This means that members need to contribute as much or more than they consume. I am not a one-man show, I am not going to do all of the content creation for this site, the site really shines when members are contributing.

The forums and posting a mesasge in the forums is ONE way of contributing on this website, but there are many more, for example:

1) Creating an Article for the Articles section
2) Uploading photos to our Gallery (and sharing those in the forums too)
3) Uploading Files to our Files section that can help others

There are three good ones right there, and of course still more. It takes time and effort to help keep things organized on the website or to help focus items for the consumption of others. If you are only posting in the forums you are participating in the most active portion of the site, but you are only scratching the surface as to the resources that this site provides. Please take a few minutes to consider contributing to this site in other ways, and no I'm not talking financial (although that's nice too) I'm talking about in creating or organizing content that is helpful for others.

We have areas of need that I'm always needing volunteers for:
1) coordinators for regional sections to help drive local interest/events among members
2) Gallery moderators to help keep our gallery in order
3) Article moderators to help keep articles in order and drive participation and encourage other members to create articles
4) Designers to help create logos for badges or other items to offer our members, etc.

With all this being said, I did take the time to create as many articles in our Articles section that are excerpts from press articles and magazines, etc. about the 981. I have posted them all to the following location:

Magazine Articles - Articles

I hope you enjoy these articles and having them all in one easy to find location but that you will also consider contributing press articles I have missed as well as creating articles that may be of interest to other members.

Sincerely,
Ken

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Well, since no one took me up on the offer to put the various 981 articles into our Articles section here, I took the time to do it for nearly all of them while sitting around in my father's hospital room with not much else to do. I am a bit disappointed that more members haven't been contributing to our Articles section, especially when something like uploading a magazine article excerpt is so easy to do (as opposed to say crafting an article on your own).

I understand that many 981's aren't in the hands of owners yet, but some are, especially Boxsters. We've had several 981 Boxster owners active in this forum but as of yet there isn't a single 981 "How To" article in our Articles section. Compare that to the plethora of 987 articles. I'm not saying that an article has to be elaborate, certainly that's up to the author, but something as simple as "How do I change my air filter" or "How do I change my oil", simple service items on a 981 are well within the capability of our members.

One of the things that separates this forum from others is the stated goal of members helping other members. This forum is not supposed to be a place for "Hey look at me" posts but rather members helping other members so that we ALL get more out of our cars. This means that members need to contribute as much or more than they consume. I am not a one-man show, I am not going to do all of the content creation for this site, the site really shines when members are contributing.

The forums and posting a mesasge in the forums is ONE way of contributing on this website, but there are many more, for example:

1) Creating an Article for the Articles section
2) Uploading photos to our Gallery (and sharing those in the forums too)
3) Uploading Files to our Files section that can help others

There are three good ones right there, and of course still more. It takes time and effort to help keep things organized on the website or to help focus items for the consumption of others. If you are only posting in the forums you are participating in the most active portion of the site, but you are only scratching the surface as to the resources that this site provides. Please take a few minutes to consider contributing to this site in other ways, and no I'm not talking financial (although that's nice too) I'm talking about in creating or organizing content that is helpful for others.

We have areas of need that I'm always needing volunteers for:
1) coordinators for regional sections to help drive local interest/events among members
2) Gallery moderators to help keep our gallery in order
3) Article moderators to help keep articles in order and drive participation and encourage other members to create articles
4) Designers to help create logos for badges or other items to offer our members, etc.

With all this being said, I did take the time to create as many articles in our Articles section that are excerpts from press articles and magazines, etc. about the 981. I have posted them all to the following location:

Magazine Articles - Articles

I hope you enjoy these articles and having them all in one easy to find location but that you will also consider contributing press articles I have missed as well as creating articles that may be of interest to other members.

Sincerely,
Ken
Good points... Unfortunately I am still far off from my first oilchange... and I try to do videos (like my recent smartop install) or post things in my blog... I guess I need to add links in the article section? Or how would you prefer us to handle that?

Cheers
Mike

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points... Unfortunately I am still far off from my first oilchange... and I try to do videos (like my recent smartop install) or post things in my blog... I guess I need to add links in the article section? Or how would you prefer us to handle that?

Cheers
Mike
I'd prefer the info in the Articles section, the body of the article can contain text, photos and video just like a post in the forums. You can also post in your blog but I would prefer it in the Articles section first since that is where most people will look for it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, since no one took me up on the offer to put the various 981 articles into our Articles section here. I am a bit disappointed that more members haven't been contributing to our Articles section, especially when something like uploading a magazine article excerpt is so easy to do (as opposed to say crafting an article on your own).
Hello Ken & al;

Well, - I won't speak for anyone else - but I'm not all that enthused about the 981. Or the 911. Or pretty much any other car.

Oh - if I come across a link to something that sounds interesting I'll take a look. Like the other day there was a list of "Top Ten Supercars" and there was a Lambo Countach there (which I though was the sexiest Lambo ever made) and a Porsche 918 Spider (which with my dyslexsia I almost posted to the 981 group :))

Then there was a list of "Top Ten cars you never thought you could afford but you can" and it had things like the Ferrari 308 series that you can pick up for around $25K and it said "they are pretty reliable for being a Ferrari" ;)

But I don't go surfing the web LOOKING for car stuff.

Maybe when my dealer gets a 981 Cayman in, I'll be interested - but right now I'm enjoying my 2008 Cayman and I'm completely satisfied - other than I'd like to sell it and get a white one so I could get it painted with the Martini and Rossi logos...

Google Image Result for http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m58vv7v51Z1rse1ipo1_r2_500.jpg

regards,
tony.podrasky

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Ken & al;

Well, - I won't speak for anyone else - but I'm not all that enthused about the 981. Or the 911. Or pretty much any other car.

Oh - if I come across a link to something that sounds interesting I'll take a look. Like the other day there was a list of "Top Ten Supercars" and there was a Lambo Countach there (which I though was the sexiest Lambo ever made) and a Porsche 918 Spider (which with my dyslexsia I almost posted to the 981 group :))

Then there was a list of "Top Ten cars you never thought you could afford but you can" and it had things like the Ferrari 308 series that you can pick up for around $25K and it said "they are pretty reliable for being a Ferrari" ;)

But I don't go surfing the web LOOKING for car stuff.

Maybe when my dealer gets a 981 Cayman in, I'll be interested - but right now I'm enjoying my 2008 Cayman and I'm completely satisfied - other than I'd like to sell it and get a white one so I could get it painted with the Martini and Rossi logos...

Google Image Result for http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m58vv7v51Z1rse1ipo1_r2_500.jpg

regards,
tony.podrasky

As a point of note, someone doesn't have to own a particular model car to post up an article having to do with that car. A member who owns a 987 could run across an article about the 981 and still post it to the Articles section in order to help out other members who might be interested in the 981 even if the member who posts it isn't or doesn't own one. Just asking members to be on the look out for things to contribute to the site...
:thanks:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'd love to also see a collection of the best video reviews of the 981. Are those anywhere?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Reactions: 981WC

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I'm finding, as I hang out here more and more, that there are surprisingly few owner "reviews" of their new 981's.

Given all the enthusiasm shown by the many waiters, myself included, I would have expected a slew of write-ups highlighting the first reactions to actually owning and driving those long awaited vehicles. There have been a few, but very few compared to the number of forum members who've actually gotten their cars.

Over the years, I've been an active member of BMW, Audi, and Corvette forums. I never had to wait too long before someone would be posting their personal reviews of their new cars. Those were usually followed by updates as the cars accumulated more miles on them. Many of these reports were very analytic, and pointed out both the strong and weak points of the cars.

I don't know how you'd get more members to send in their own reviews of their cars. I personally promise to do a thorough write-up of my 981 when it finally crosses the ocean and makes it all the way to New Hampshire.

:cheers:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm finding, as I hang out here more and more, that there are surprisingly few owner "reviews" of their new 981's.

Given all the enthusiasm shown by the many waiters, myself included, I would have expected a slew of write-ups highlighting the first reactions to actually owning and driving those long awaited vehicles. There have been a few, but very few compared to the number of forum members who've actually gotten their cars.

Over the years, I've been an active member of BMW, Audi, and Corvette forums. I never had to wait too long before someone would be posting their personal reviews of their new cars. Those were usually followed by updates as the cars accumulated more miles on them. Many of these reports were very analytic, and pointed out both the strong and weak points of the cars.

I don't know how you'd get more members to send in their own reviews of their cars. I personally promise to do a thorough write-up of my 981 when it finally crosses the ocean and makes it all the way to New Hampshire.

:cheers:
Takes away from time behind the wheel :hilarious:

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
613 Posts
Has anybody found the Car Magazine full length review on the Cayman? The short online review alluded to one. Can't get this magazine where I live.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Has anybody found the Car Magazine full length review on the Cayman? The short online review alluded to one. Can't get this magazine where I live.
Never mind...
They have an iPad app. I bought it on line for $6. I've always enjoyed Georg Kacher's writing. He's been a big 911 supporter for a long time and his online review teaser of the Cayman, unlike others, was not flat out glowing so I was curious to see what he would say. Will post some snippets after I've read and digested.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Georg Kacher Prefers the Base Carrera over the Cayman S

A couple of notable snippets from the full Car Magazine Review:

George briefly drives a base Carrera and a Cayman S, both PDK, back to back in pseudo winter conditions with snow tires. Verdict:

"In Sport Plus, it lets the (911) rear end run wide to an extent that makes you cringe, then smile. The Cayman needs to be kept on a shorter leash which, by a fraction, reduces the entertainment. You always know what the 911 will do but the less talkative Cayman may catch you out".

"...but if this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to stretch to a 911, then go for it. It may not do all things as expertly as its in-house challenger, but it is ultimately the more memorable drive".

"Cayman is brllliant, but skilled drivers (and skilled drivers with small kids) all chose the 911".

In comparing the Boxster to the Cayman:

"I would take the soft top any day of the week. After all, it is two cars in one, it solves the luggage problem in a more elegant fashion, it costs less and is every bit as much fun to drive. There are those who prefer the coupe for integrity, stability and flexibility reasons, but I am convinced that, even when you drive the two Porsches back-to-back, the difference in handling prowess and roadholding talent is going to be marginal".

He also makes a pint that a used M3, 997 or (I imagine very used) R8 are worthy contenders.

All in all, I would say this is the most negative review on the new Cayman I have read. Granted, he is testing the car in winter conditions (road was clear but it was cold) on winter tires. But he clearly has a bee in his bonnet and is quite critical of the steering as well as the care required at the limits of adhesion. Very interesting.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The articles will come in time. Allot will depend on warranty time expiring and how many people actually have the mechanical skills to do something. :hilarious:
As prices on these cars keeps closing in near $100k I more people will be doing less work on their car.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
What Car? drives a 6MT Base Cayman

2013 Porsche Cayman review - What Car?

Bit of an odd pairing because this little base car comes with yellow brakes and sport techno wheels, two options not likely to find their way onto a base car. Definite love-in building for the base model over the S. Interesting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: What Car? drives a 6MT Base Cayman

2013 Porsche Cayman review - What Car?

Bit of an odd pairing because this little base car comes with yellow brakes and sport techno wheels, two options not likely to find their way onto a base car. Definite love-in building for the base model over the S. Interesting.
I don't think their car had carbon ceramic brakes and sport techno wheels, that picture at the bottom is a cayman S and the picture is taken from the autoexpress review of the S.

New Porsche Cayman review | Auto Express

·
Registered
613 Posts
1 - 20 of 337 Posts