Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

281 - 300 of 337 Posts

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
AutoCar's Britain's Best Driver Car review of the Cayman GTS is full of praise: Britain’s Best Driver’s Car 2014 - BMW i8 vs Porsche Cayman GTS vs BMW M4 | Autocar

You won’t be doing much yearning in the Cayman GTS unless it’s for shorter gearing; the Porsche is the most complete, and completely satisfying, driver’s car of our trio. “Beguiling controls, velvet-smooth powertrain and a forgiving ride make it great on the road or track” was one summation, and that just about nails it.
(there are many more quotes).

Sadly, it did not win though, but was close to the GT3 (last year's winner and this year's 3rd placed):
1. Ferrari 458 Speciale – 16 points
2. Ariel Atom 3.5R – 19
3. Porsche 911 GT3 – 27
4. Porsche Cayman GTS – 33
5. McLaren 650S – 39
6. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray – 43
7. Renault Mégane RS 275 Trophy 54
8. BMW i8 – 64
9=. BMW M4 – 78
9=. Vauxhall VXR8 GTS – 78
11. Jaguar F-type R coupé – 80
12. Alfa Romeo 4C – 93

Reactions: Pokerhobo

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I just read some negative comments about the 981 in a Car and Driver article. I don't have the link, but the writer was complaining that the car was too easy to drive and too forgiving, especially at slow speeds. The writer said he felt bored in the car unless he was pushing it hard ... and only then did it become really fun to be in.

He thought the Corvette C7 was the way to go, because that was a thrill to drive at any speed. Interesting how all a car's strong points can be seen as a negative by someone. He whined about all the things I appreciate in this car. Go figure.

Reactions: bybybmw and Mike R.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just read some negative comments about the 981 in a Car and Driver article. I don't have the link, but the writer was complaining that the car was too easy to drive and too forgiving, especially at slow speeds. The writer said he felt bored in the car unless he was pushing it hard ... and only then did it become really fun to be in.

He thought the Corvette C7 was the way to go, because that was a thrill to drive at any speed. Interesting how all a car's strong points can be seen as a negative by someone. He whined about all the things I appreciate in this car. Go figure.
He obviously wasn't driving a 981 w/6MT.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Autoweek on a highly optioned Cayman S PDK:

2014 Porsche Cayman S review notes | Autoweek

Some good journalism from a variety of editors but most are transfixed on the overall price tag, which, for the test car, is a ridiculous $100K.
I felt like those reviews were terrible written by men who don't appreciate a sports car.

Bitching about the options, its a press car, its supposed to show off everything.

Doesnt sound good below 6k rpms? I love it at 2k rpms as much as 7k rpms.

Steering wheel feels big? Have you been in an M car recently, thats a big old wheel.

Complaning about the sports susp, that's meant for the track or spirited driving on good roads. Don't turn it on when communiting dummy.

The throttle was heavy and making his leg sore? The ****?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Autoweek on a highly optioned Cayman S PDK:

2014 Porsche Cayman S review notes | Autoweek

Some good journalism from a variety of editors but most are transfixed on the overall price tag, which, for the test car, is a ridiculous $100K.
I agree with a lot of the reviews, being a Porsche owner myself, I agree with the ridiculous price, most of those options are a must have (at least for me). A BS and a CS should never be anywhere near $100K fully optioned. You are getting into GT-R, C7 Z06, AM Vantage GT territory with a lot more hp. I know a BS and CS isn't about hp, yada, yada, IT IS ABOUT HP and Prestige, when you are paying $100K plus for a car. BS and CS are nice cars but they have neither (hp or prestige).

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Most of the test drives in the car mags consist of a guy taking a car for a few laps then pronouncing his "expert judgement". It takes more than a few laps or a couple hundred miles to fully appreciate the true character and capabilities of an automobile. Much like being married, you need to live with it for awhile.:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's a valid complaint. The throttle springs in these cars are ludicrously strong.
Ha, compared to what? I drive a decent number of rentals and had bmws for near a decade. I don't notice the difference at all. Maybe its my rock hard calves that make them all easy for me ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
These comments got me thinking. I think the weight of the steering and pedals, control inputs , etc.. is to increase the precision of your input. I suppose it's much like weighted keys on a piano and weighted keys of electronic keyboards. The weight /resistance of keys allows for much greater control. You can articulate the velocity, quick stops and receive much needed tactile and kinesthetic feedback.

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Has anybody seen a head to head compo between a 981 GTS and a 981 S yet? I would be very interested to see something where the cars are similarly spec'd to see how much difference there is. I suspect this may be something not officially endorsed by Porsche...

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Has anybody seen a head to head compo between a 981 GTS and a 981 S yet? I would be very interested to see something where the cars are similarly spec'd to see how much difference there is. I suspect this may be something not officially endorsed by Porsche...
I don't see why it wouldn't be endorsed. Given equal equipment, the performance would be very similar, but the GTS should cost a bit less. So it's not as though people would pass on the GTS because it's not obviously faster.

Now I know that people have done just this in reality based on dealers' willingness to give better discounts on an S, but this wouldn't come up in a review. The conclusion would be "Buy the GTS because it's a bargain".

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm just interested to see if there is any difference in how the cars drive. Couldn't care less about the price. Sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Some people have posted psuedo comparisons, having driven a CS, then a CGTS. Most that I read said they couldn't "feel" the extra 15HP, or 7ftlbs of torque. Many have said the PSE on the GTS is louder than PSE on the S. Other than that, a similarly spec'd S and GTS should be exactly the same as they share the same mechanicals (other than the larger sway bars on the GTS X73 suspension--but I've even heard of people putting these on PASM cars, so it's possible to spec the cars to be mechanically the same.) There is an obvious difference in the aerodynamics--but this is unlikely to have an impact until race conditions are met, and even then maybe not so noticeable.
Perhaps no one has made such a comparison "officially" since it would not reveal much of interest other than "they are the same."
As a future GTS owner, I wish there was more of a performance difference, but for me it's just a way of getting blacked out headlights...

281 - 300 of 337 Posts