Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

321 - 337 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
First reader comment at the end of that article:

“After driving this you won’t be able to drive anything else for a month. This car will ruin you.” –T. Quiroga
True, Tony. I was ruined, as in deaf, after driving the Boxster on a trip at freeway speeds. The engine is right behind your ears, and at freeway speeds, it makes so much noise in sixth gear (manual transmission), that it not only drowned out the radio, but it left my ears ringing. In 60 years of car ownership, I have never dumped a car so soon after purchase.
This is the perfect example of the disconnect between Car and Driver test impressions and real world ownership.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I suspect he's a troll e.g. "in his sixty years of car ownership" that makes him ~78 ;) ........anyhow they're pretty benign with a standard exhaust and melodius in a sports car like way with PSE.

The reality is some people like the idea of a sportscar but have requirements that are better matched to a luxosled. A test drive should sort the wheat from the chaff in that regard.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think he's a troll. I suspect he might be Nick Murray's mate (see Nick's YouTube reviews of his NSX and C2S).

Anyway, his comments had me perplexed so on the way home from Katoomba today decided to conduct an experiment. Instead of just cruising on the freeway in 7th (Cayman 2.7 PDK) at 2000 rpm, put it into 6th. At 120 kph in 6th I'm pulling 3000 rpm. Car wasn't noisy at all. In fact, I could hear more wind and road noise than engine noise. I suspect a Boxster would be quieter still.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I don't think he's a troll. I suspect he might be Nick Murray's mate (see Nick's YouTube reviews of his NSX and C2S).

Anyway, his comments had me perplexed so on the way home from Katoomba today decided to conduct an experiment. Instead of just cruising on the freeway in 7th (Cayman 2.7 PDK) at 2000 rpm, put it into 6th. At 120 kph in 6th I'm pulling 3000 rpm. Car wasn't noisy at all. In fact, I could hear more wind and road noise than engine noise. I suspect a Boxster would be quieter still.
My 981 CS w/ 20" wheels can be uncomfortably noisy at highway speeds on certain rough roads if we're talking about a long section (15+ minutes?). Probably more a function of the wheel/tire combo though. As for engine & exhaust noise- I bought a 981 CS with PSE because of the amazing sound. Wind that baby up to redline and it doesn't get much better than that. As much as I loved driving the 718 (a superior car overall, IMO) I couldn't get past the WRX sound of the exhaust and, ironically, noticed a droning noise fairly quickly. Wonder how those 718s are on a long trip.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Cool article; thanks for posting. One "buyers' tip" I'd offer for this generation is that the 2013 Boxster, specifically, does not have automatic downshift-rev-matching in with the manual transmission. I consider this a plus, but buyers should be aware in any case...
I have a 2014 CS with a 6MT. I wasn’t aware of this feature.

Do you know where this is mentioned in the owners manual?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2014 CS with a 6MT. I wasn’t aware of this feature.

Do you know where this is mentioned in the owners manual?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have to have a BS or a CS with the sports chrono package for the rev match for 2014 and up.
I believe it works when you are in sports + mode only.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You have to have a BS or a CS with the sports chrono package for the rev match for 2014 and up.
I think that's right. In my mind, the preferences for this feature are:
1- None
2- Always
3- Mode dependent (which I think is kinda dangerous, unless you *always* drive in the same mode)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks.

I curiously still can’t find mention for this feature in the online Porsche Manual.

But thanks for the clarification, I don’t have either of those features in my CS, so I am learning to do blips the old fashioned heel and toe method. :)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Well, since no one took me up on the offer to put the various 981 articles into our Articles section here, I took the time to do it for nearly all of them while sitting around in my father's hospital room with not much else to do. I am a bit disappointed that more members haven't been contributing to our Articles section, especially when something like uploading a magazine article excerpt is so easy to do (as opposed to say crafting an article on your own).

I understand that many 981's aren't in the hands of owners yet, but some are, especially Boxsters. We've had several 981 Boxster owners active in this forum but as of yet there isn't a single 981 "How To" article in our Articles section. Compare that to the plethora of 987 articles. I'm not saying that an article has to be elaborate, certainly that's up to the author, but something as simple as "How do I change my air filter" or "How do I change my oil", simple service items on a 981 are well within the capability of our members.

One of the things that separates this forum from others is the stated goal of members helping other members. This forum is not supposed to be a place for "Hey look at me" posts but rather members helping other members so that we ALL get more out of our cars. This means that members need to contribute as much or more than they consume. I am not a one-man show, I am not going to do all of the content creation for this site, the site really shines when members are contributing.

The forums and posting a mesasge in the forums is ONE way of contributing on this website, but there are many more, for example:

1) Creating an Article for the Articles section
2) Uploading photos to our Gallery (and sharing those in the forums too)
3) Uploading Files to our Files section that can help others

There are three good ones right there, and of course still more. It takes time and effort to help keep things organized on the website or to help focus items for the consumption of others. If you are only posting in the forums you are participating in the most active portion of the site, but you are only scratching the surface as to the resources that this site provides. Please take a few minutes to consider contributing to this site in other ways, and no I'm not talking financial (although that's nice too) I'm talking about in creating or organizing content that is helpful for others.

We have areas of need that I'm always needing volunteers for:
1) coordinators for regional sections to help drive local interest/events among members
2) Gallery moderators to help keep our gallery in order
3) Article moderators to help keep articles in order and drive participation and encourage other members to create articles
4) Designers to help create logos for badges or other items to offer our members, etc.

With all this being said, I did take the time to create as many articles in our Articles section that are excerpts from press articles and magazines, etc. about the 981. I have posted them all to the following location:

Magazine Articles - Articles

I hope you enjoy these articles and having them all in one easy to find location but that you will also consider contributing press articles I have missed as well as creating articles that may be of interest to other members.

Sincerely,
Ken
Greatly appreciated and I will attempt to do my part. I have found this forum an excellent source over the years.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is not true; I don't have an S (I have a base 2.7 manual) and I have the SC with rev matching.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know what issue of Road and Track magazine was the first to introduce or test the 2015 Boxster GTS?

321 - 337 of 337 Posts