Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Porsche website is massively confusing when it comes to the audio options available, and salesmen frequently muddy the waters further. Attached is a chart attempting to clarify same. All the information was taken directly from the Porsche website, configurator, 981 brochure, and Service Information book available from Suncoast. If any of the information looks fictional, Porsche is the author, not me.

View attachment 981 Audio options v.2.pdf
Note that either Bose or Burmester can be combined with PCM.

Sticky?

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the spreadsheet! Great idea to make this Sticky as the audio system was and still is the most confusion option for me to decide.

However, as far as I know the S and GTS models come with Sound Package Plus as standard (9 speakers, 235 Watt). Also CDR+ and PCM will have a higher resolution 7" screen. If someone can confirm you may want to update the spreadsheet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
NO! I have an early 2014 981CS. Based on previous BS and a CS I assumed it would have Sound Package Plus as standard when it was ordered, and was assured by the sales associate this was correct. The window sticker states that it has "4 speakers, 2x25 Watt output". Unfortunately this is correct.

williamr

·
Registered
120 Posts
Did Porsche change this mid model year? If you configure a Cayman online CDR+ is $2400 and Bose is $1400. If you configure a S or GTS the same options are $1700 and $700. This led me to belief SPP is standard equipment on higher trims. Also my GTS configuration clearly lists SPP as standard. Looks like I have to have a talk with my sales rep and get it in writing that my car will come with SPP.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't know if there have been any changes to standard equipment for the CS. The cost for the up-grade to Bose was less for the S than for the Base when my CS was ordered which seemed to indicate that Sound Package Plus was included on the S. Probably its inclusion in the GTS is one of the many extras for that model over the S. I was certainly disappointed to find it "missing" from my car when I looked at the sticker, and even more so when listening to it.

williamr

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know if there have been any changes to standard equipment for the CS. The cost for the up-grade to Bose was less for the S than for the Base when my CS was ordered which seemed to indicate that Sound Package Plus was included on the S. Probably its inclusion in the GTS is one of the many extras for that model over the S. I was certainly disappointed to find it "missing" from my car when I looked at the sticker, and even more so when listening to it.

williamr
I hear you. I most certainly will be pissed if my dealer and the configuration printout indicates I am getting a 7 speaker 235 Watt "kind of decent" sound system and then the $80k car shows up with 4 crappy 25 Watt speakers! I am not looking for high end audiophile speakers, but I want some level of refinement.

So since the internet data is confusing or wrong and some dealers do not know for sure, did anyone took delivery of a late 2014 CS or BS with standard radio and got the SPP?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sound Package Plus is no longer an option on the configurator except on base models with a PCM package, and it's still listed as 7 speakers/185 watts. If it's standard on the S or GTS, that's not stated on the website anywhere that I can find. If someone has a definitive confirmation (i.e. window sticker or GTS brochure) that it's present as standard equipment on the S or GTS, I'll change the spreadsheet.

And yes, it costs about $700 more to add either the Bose or Burmester to a base model than to an S model.

Reactions: M. Schneider

·
Registered
120 Posts
If it's standard on the S or GTS, that's not stated on the website anywhere that I can find.
If you use the configurator and make a PDF of your car it will list SPP as standard equipment:

Electrical Systems
• CDR audio system with Sound Package Plus - 9 speakers and 235 Watt output, 7-inch color touch screen, AM/FM
radio with double tuner, single in-dash CD drive, also plays music in MP3, AAC and WMA format
• Universal Audio Interface (AUX-IN) in the glove compartment for connection of external audio sources, operated
through external device
• Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone connection, using Hands Free Profile (HFP)

I will try to confirm next time I am at my Porsche dealer and report back.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you use the configurator and make a PDF of your car it will list SPP as standard equipment:

Electrical Systems
• CDR audio system with Sound Package Plus - 9 speakers and 235 Watt output, 7-inch color touch screen, AM/FM
radio with double tuner, single in-dash CD drive, also plays music in MP3, AAC and WMA format
• Universal Audio Interface (AUX-IN) in the glove compartment for connection of external audio sources, operated
through external device
• Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone connection, using Hands Free Profile (HFP)

I will try to confirm next time I am at my Porsche dealer and report back.
OK, will add to next iteration of spreadsheet. Do you know if that applies to both S and GTS?

·
Registered
120 Posts
OK, will add to next iteration of spreadsheet. Do you know if that applies to both S and GTS?
If the configurator data is up to date this is what you get without checking any option boxes:

Base Cayman
• CDR audio system with 4 speakers and 2 x 25 Watt output, 7-inch color touch screen, AM/FM radio with double tuner,
single in-dash CD drive, also plays music in MP3, AAC and WMA format

Cayman S and GTS:

Like you said in your first post highly confusing and I really lost faith in the trustworthiness of this data. William got a 2014 CS with only 4 speakers, so until I see a CS with 9 speakers at my dealer with my own eyes I have no clue what I will get in August.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Porsche website is massively confusing when it comes to the audio options available, and salesmen frequently muddy the waters further. Attached is a chart attempting to clarify same. All the information was taken directly from the Porsche website, configurator, 981 brochure, and Service Information book available from Suncoast. If any of the information looks fictional, Porsche is the author, not me.
So the question I have is that if you order the:
Infotainment Package with BOSE® Surround Sound System

Which includes these features:

• BOSE Surround Sound System
  • Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
  • Navigation Module
  • SiriusXM® Satellite Radio ReceiverHD Radio Receiver
  • Online Services (which includes the AHA app integration)

I can't tell if it includes every piece of:
CDR Plus Audio System

Which includes these features:

• CDR Plus (I think so, yes)
  • Universal Audio Interface (this appears to be missing)
  • Sound Package Plus (The Bose Infotainment system has "more")
  • SiriusXM® Satellite Radio Receiver (yes)
  • HD Radio Receiver (this appears to be missing)

However, if you try to piece together the options you want by selecting:
CDR Plus Audio System
BOSE® Surround Sound System

The addition of:
SiriusXM® Satellite Radio Receiver

Deselects
CDR Plus Audio System

I'm not sure any of these package includes Bluetooth streaming, and the Universal Audio Interface is missing from the Bose Infotainment system.

It appears you can't get Bluetooth streaming, or the USB interface if you select XM Radio.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I was at my Porsche dealer yesterday and he confirmed that a Cayman S does not come standard with the CDR with Sound Package Plus. The Porsche configurator indicates that it is part of the standard equipment but also lists it as a $1700 option. They confirmed that if I want it on my S I will have to pay $1700 for it. Now I have to decide if the Bose is worth the money.......

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was at my Porsche dealer yesterday and he confirmed that a Cayman S does not come standard with the CDR with Sound Package Plus. The Porsche configurator indicates that it is part of the standard equipment but also lists it as a $1700 option. They confirmed that if I want it on my S I will have to pay $1700 for it. Now I have to decide if the Bose is worth the money.......
If you order a 2015 SPP should be standard. $1700 will give you CDR+ which i think is way overpriced unless USB or backup camera is a must have for you.

·
Banned
548 Posts
So this is where it gets really confusing and I'm going to say your dealer is probably wrong because there is no evidence on the configurator to indicate that Porsche has made a mistake. Until someone orders a 2015 981S with no audio upgrades, we won't know for sure, but here it is:

CDR = the base audio system in the car
CDR+ = upgraded screen and electronics (HD radio, sat, etc.)

Sound Package Plus = speaker package only

For 2014, both the base and S came with just CDR standard. This much as been confirmed. The upgrade to CDR+ was $2400 on the base car and $1700 on the S. It included Sound Package Plus for both, and as far as I know, there was no way to get Sound Package Plus without getting CDR+ or Infotainment. The description for CDR+ across the two models was identical, like copy/paste identical.

For 2015, both the base and S come with CDR standard, but the S includes Sound Package Plus. The upgrade to CDR+ again costs $2400 for base and $1700 for the S, and on the base this also includes Sound Package Plus. If you read the description for CDR+, it is no longer identical between the two models; the description for CDR+ on the S does not mention Sound Package Plus. Instead, if you follow the "Standard Features" link for the S, you will see the S includes CDR with Sound Package Plus.

I think your dealer is just confused and probably thinks CDR+ and Sound Package Plus are the same thing. The fact that he says the configurator shows it (CDR with Sound Package Plus) as being standard but also lists it as a $1700 option means he didn't look very closely at the configurator. The option that is $1700 is not CDR with Sound Package Plus. It is CDR+.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts

View attachment 47474
Note that either Bose or Burmester can be combined with PCM.

Sticky?
:thanks: Karen,

A wonderful and major effort for sure. Sticky indeed GREAT.
Tabular info in this confusing options area was much needed, Let's hope PAG just keeps configurator/SAs up to date.:hilarious: Porsche are you listening and reading P9?;)

:cheers:

PS - Could/should be required posting on all PCNA Dealer SA Office walls. And a great thing if so.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My goal when ordering my 15 Cayman S was to get every thing included in the PCM plus Bose speaker package minus Navagation. I did this by ordering CDR+ and Bose for 2,400. The PCM and Bose is 4,000. That NAV system costs 1,600!

·
Registered
120 Posts
My goal when ordering my 15 Cayman S was to get every thing included in the PCM plus Bose speaker package minus Navagation.
Not sure if it matters to you, but I assume beside navigation you will also NOT get the 40GB harddrive and

Online Services***
A direct interface with customer's smart phone via the "AHA-Radio" app – available for iPhone® and Android® devices with features like Web-Radio and personalized Web-Music, news-feeds, Podcasts and Audio-Magazine, local based content with voice announce (e.g. gas station prices, restaurants), weather information, online Point of Interest search with take over as navigation travel destination, and Facebook.

Still not worth $1600 if you ask me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You are correct. These additional items were of no interest to me. Had the hard drive on an Infiniti and never used it. May be of interest to others however.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You are correct. These additional items were of no interest to me. Had the hard drive on an Infiniti and never used it. May be of interest to others however.
Full Ack! It is beyond me why anyone would use the harddisk if 64GB USB sticks can be bought for $20, but Web radio sounds kind of cool (e.g. having German radio stations while driving in the US).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts