Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe Bose is different on the Cayman, had Bose surround sound on another car and believed that Bose stood for Better Off Something Else. Have the Premium Package in my MB SLK that comes with the Harman/Kardon system and that sounds incredible even with the top down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've just ordered a base cayman, and (in the UK at least) i found that when you add the PCM, you are asked to choose between Sound package plus, bose or burmiester, together with the associated cost.
I went for SPP @ £396

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great job! I'm sure most SA don't know everything that is included in your spreadsheet. Let me add another question..Are the performance metrics (lap time, G force) included in the system no matter what? I thought you had to select PCM to have it as indicated in the Cayman brochure (pages 59 and 61).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great job! I'm sure most SA don't know everything that is included in your spreadsheet. Let me add another question..Are the performance metrics (lap time, G force) included in the system no matter what? I thought you had to select PCM to have it as indicated in the Cayman brochure (pages 59 and 61).
Performance metrics are not in my PCM.... but I have a base boxster (2015)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've just ordered a base cayman, and (in the UK at least) i found that when you add the PCM, you are asked to choose between Sound package plus, bose or burmiester, together with the associated cost.
I went for SPP @ £396

So are we in Korea. I didnt wanna put down chunk of money for less useful PCM ending up just opting for SPO @ $ 900 usd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
My SA didnt even know which option comes with usb. Bluetooth. Aux etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am looking at ordering a standard Boxster/Cayman with the BOSE sound system (not PCM). In this case will my phone be able to connect and stream BT audio?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I am looking at ordering a standard Boxster/Cayman with the BOSE sound system (not PCM). In this case will my phone be able to connect and stream BT audio?
No you can't stream BT Audio w/ the Bose sound system. I recently picked up my BoxsterS w/ Bose and was surprised that BT audio steaming wasn't supported especially since the phone is connected via BT. I have a Lexus CT200h and I stream Pandora on road-trips, but an headphone cable plugged into the glove-box is necessary to do the same in the Boxster.

Reactions: M. Schneider

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
So the base system has only 4 speakers? I assume that is 2 in each door panel? What happens to the wrong speaks (center) and behind the air vents?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No you can't stream BT Audio w/ the Bose sound system. I recently picked up my BoxsterS w/ Bose and was surprised that BT audio steaming wasn't supported especially since the phone is connected via BT. I have a Lexus CT200h and I stream Pandora on road-trips, but an headphone cable plugged into the glove-box is necessary to do the same in the Boxster.

That is disappointing. So CDR Plus is the minimum option needed to listen to streaming BT audio?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Having read through the entire thread, if my GTS has SP+ then it's about the crappiest car audio system I've ever heard! It sounds bad, and there can't possibly be more than 3 speakers (one in each door and one in the middle of the dash), and about 5 mice worth of watts powering them... And if the SP+ comes with a USB port, where is it in my GTS?
I didn't see any post above from someone with a 2015 GTS confirming that it does indeed come with SP+ as the "base system" (read no extra cost.)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Having read through the entire thread, if my GTS has SP+ then it's about the crappiest car audio system I've ever heard! It sounds bad, and there can't possibly be more than 3 speakers (one in each door and one in the middle of the dash), and about 5 mice worth of watts powering them... And if the SP+ comes with a USB port, where is it in my GTS?
I didn't see any post above from someone with a 2015 GTS confirming that it does indeed come with SP+ as the "base system" (read no extra cost.)
There's a speaker under the vent on each side, where you'd think it would blow air up.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I checked my build sheet, and it says CDR audio system with SP+, 9 speakers, 235W. Anyone know where the speakers are located? And if it's SP+, should I have a USB port? I've never seen one, and it's certainly not next to the 3.5mm audio input socket in the glove box...
Still sounds crappy. Sound symposer makes nicer noise...

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I checked my build sheet, and it says CDR audio system with SP+, 9 speakers, 235W. Anyone know where the speakers are located? And if it's SP+, should I have a USB port? I've never seen one, and it's certainly not next to the 3.5mm audio input socket in the glove box...
Still sounds crappy. Sound symposer makes nicer noise...
I was just at a dealer today, and they were trying very hard to figure out exactly what came with the Cayman GTS ... ? I wanted to see what in fact came with the base system for the GTS .... Out of all the confusion, I just went with the Nav and sound package (infotainment package ) for the Porsche Config ( still mulling over a few other options )
I believe it was around 4K OUCH ... I just wonder if its really worth getting that ??? The SA thought that the breakdown was 700 for the bose upgrade 1700 for CDR+ and that would leave 1600 for the Nav .... Frankly I am a bit clueless :wall:
BTW they told me the USB is in the glove box ?
Regards
Ed

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
I was just at a dealer today, and they were trying very hard to figure out exactly what came with the Cayman GTS ... ? I wanted to see what in fact came with the base system for the GTS .... Out of all the confusion, I just went with the Nav and sound package (infotainment package ) for the Porsche Config ( still mulling over a few other options )
I believe it was around 4K OUCH ... I just wonder if its really worth getting that ??? The SA thought that the breakdown was 700 for the bose upgrade 1700 for CDR+ and that would leave 1600 for the Nav .... Frankly I am a bit clueless :wall:
BTW they told me the USB is in the glove box ?
Regards
Ed
Yes the USB is in the glove box.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Has anyone heard the CDR System with Sound Package Plus? Without ponying up for the PCM/Nav option, it's the best possible spec for the GT4. Now, while I'm obviously going for the "hair shirt" version of the 981, I still like listening to music when I'm in commuting mode. As such, a modicum of sound quality will be appreciated.

Related question: Does the Universal Audio Interface (AUX-IN) include a USB port that allows you to play MP3 files stored on a memory stick? Or is it just a headphone jack?

Observation: The useful spreadsheet created for this thread mentions Sound Package Plus, but makes no mention of the touchscreen that it appears to add, even to the base CDR spec (at least, that's the way it's spec'd for the GT4).

Thanks all.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Actually the PCM/Nav option in the GT4 is without the entertainment package, but includes parts of the CDR+ package (the radio, USB connection and I assume the SPP speakers). It does not include the XM nor the HD Radio. You have to order them separate.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Actually the PCM/Nav option in the GT4 is without the entertainment package, but includes parts of the CDR+ package (the radio, USB connection and I assume the SPP speakers). It does not include the XM nor the HD Radio. You have to order them separate.
CDR with Sound Package Plus is standard equipment (at least on Canadian spec GT4s). I don't want XM or HD Radio (never use 'em) but would dearly like the ability to play MP3s through a USB port. Are you saying that the only way to get this capability is to pony up for the $3K PCM/Nav option?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts