Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

981 Audio options sorted

52K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  chrismm 
#1 · (Edited)
The Porsche website is massively confusing when it comes to the audio options available, and salesmen frequently muddy the waters further. Attached is a chart attempting to clarify same. All the information was taken directly from the Porsche website, configurator, 981 brochure, and Service Information book available from Suncoast. If any of the information looks fictional, Porsche is the author, not me.

View attachment 981 Audio options v.2.pdf
Note that either Bose or Burmester can be combined with PCM.

Sticky?

Attachments

#54 ·
I checked my build sheet, and it says CDR audio system with SP+, 9 speakers, 235W. Anyone know where the speakers are located? And if it's SP+, should I have a USB port? I've never seen one, and it's certainly not next to the 3.5mm audio input socket in the glove box...
Still sounds crappy. Sound symposer makes nicer noise...

#56 ·
I was just at a dealer today, and they were trying very hard to figure out exactly what came with the Cayman GTS ... ? I wanted to see what in fact came with the base system for the GTS .... Out of all the confusion, I just went with the Nav and sound package (infotainment package ) for the Porsche Config ( still mulling over a few other options )
I believe it was around 4K OUCH ... I just wonder if its really worth getting that ??? The SA thought that the breakdown was 700 for the bose upgrade 1700 for CDR+ and that would leave 1600 for the Nav .... Frankly I am a bit clueless :wall:
BTW they told me the USB is in the glove box ?
Regards
Ed

#58 ·
Has anyone heard the CDR System with Sound Package Plus? Without ponying up for the PCM/Nav option, it's the best possible spec for the GT4. Now, while I'm obviously going for the "hair shirt" version of the 981, I still like listening to music when I'm in commuting mode. As such, a modicum of sound quality will be appreciated.

Related question: Does the Universal Audio Interface (AUX-IN) include a USB port that allows you to play MP3 files stored on a memory stick? Or is it just a headphone jack?

Observation: The useful spreadsheet created for this thread mentions Sound Package Plus, but makes no mention of the touchscreen that it appears to add, even to the base CDR spec (at least, that's the way it's spec'd for the GT4).

Thanks all.

#59 ·
Actually the PCM/Nav option in the GT4 is without the entertainment package, but includes parts of the CDR+ package (the radio, USB connection and I assume the SPP speakers). It does not include the XM nor the HD Radio. You have to order them separate.

Reactions: M. Schneider
#60 ·
CDR with Sound Package Plus is standard equipment (at least on Canadian spec GT4s). I don't want XM or HD Radio (never use 'em) but would dearly like the ability to play MP3s through a USB port. Are you saying that the only way to get this capability is to pony up for the $3K PCM/Nav option?

#66 ·
Not in Canada, unfortunately. We from the Great White North always get to sit at the kids table. Has anyone modified the CDR system to add other capabilities, or does it require yanking everything out and replacing with aftermarket stuff?

#67 ·
On the suncoast parts website, they do say that it is possible to upgrade to the PCM-Nav, but only if you have Sound system plus installed. I wonder if they would sell the CDR+ system and if your can get it coded to work.

On the other hand the blue tooth audio connection is workable. See 'Bluetooth streaming with base audio - $40'

#68 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. The upgrade costs more than spec'ing it with my build, which makes me think just the CDR+ upgrade might be close to the cost of the Nav. I might just bite my tongue and get the nav - I'll see. Need to get a confirmed order first.

#69 ·
Amazing how complex the audio options are!
I am considering upgrading from Base Audio (on a 981 GTS, US config) to CDR Plus <mostly forced to in order to get backup camera>. I'd rather get it done cleanly from the factory vs dicking around with aftermarket - possibly paying more for a mediocre install.

Not clear if the CDR Plus has the same 4 speakers and 50 watts output as the base - or does this automatically get me to 9 speakers, 235 Watts, that I have seen referenced at times.

Looks like the helpful PDF sorting the options may be incorrect.

thanks

#70 · (Edited)
It is confusing and the std audio options on the S Cayman are different than on the Base Cayman.
In the US if you get CDR+ it will include the Sound system plus option if that is not all ready include in the base audio system.
On the 981-S or 981-GTS the base audio includes the 'Sound system Plus'

Base 981CDR+$2400(adds sound 'Sound system Plus' hence the additional cost)
S 981CDR+$1700(std already includes 'Sound system Plus' )
GTS 981CDR+$1700(std already includes 'Sound system Plus' )

Look under the 'Standard Equipment' tab on the Cayman GTS configurator screen to see the options for the GTS.

GTS Configuration
CDR audio system with Sound Package Plus - 9 speakers and 235 Watt output, 7-inch color touch screen, AM/FM radio with double tuner, single in-dash CD drive, also plays music in MP3, AAC and WMA format

#71 ·
Canada doesn't get CDR plus, and the cost of the factory nav is so outrageous. I said f**k this, and I'm going aftermarket for my satnav and USB hookup needs. It's so much cheaper this way, and honestly, with the Suncoast double DIN bracket, it will look quite good, based on previous examples on this and other sites.

#77 ·
so this is definitely not the most technologically advanced method, but there's always the option of burning MP3 CDs... does anyone else do this? I just placed an order for a 2016 CS and the base audio system supposedly supports it.
Yes, I do this for my Miata, which has a fairly old aftermarket stereo. Before a road trip, I'll burn a stack of CDs, randomizing the tracklist for each (about 100 per disc or so). It does take a bit of prep and you'll be stuck with a single playlist, but it does work well.

#78 · (Edited)
I have read thru the entire thread. I have to reply that I am not looking for what "package" the dealers are offering I am trying to discern what size speakers are where. If I had to guess I would say probably; 1 x 3" center channel in top middle of the dash, 1 x 3" on each side of dash under/behind the vent, 1 x 6" x 9" in each front bottom of doors, 1 x 3"x 5" box behind each seat. So if i had to do my own upgrade i'm thinking
2 or 3 x 3" Alpine or pioneer speakers up front, it would be ok to leave the center one in place or disconnect it, IMHO not really needed (2 = Approx 50$)
2 x 6" x 9" 2 or 3 way kickers, pioneers or alpines in the doors, (2 = Approx 100$)
2 x 3" Kicker smaller subwoofers behind each seat, each may need its own seprate special made enclosure, (2 = Approx 50$)
1 x 2 Jbl amps that could push a solid 25-50 per speaker Approx 150$ each)
headunit: so many personal preferences out there.. i wish it could maintain the original pcm and driver it thru a better system but I would probably settle on a kenwood or pioneer head unit that runs a great nav or wait for something that runs waze. As i posted in an earlier thread..there are head units that run waze ported/or streamed from your phone> I am willing to wait for one that runs straight from the head unit. Time will tell what i end up with after my first year with the 2014 boxster but I cannot stress enough that the existing porsche head unit and systems, all of them, underperform. Cheers and hope to check in later this year with my own update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.