Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a used 981 Cayman in the next year. I'm planning on keeping the car a long time, and I'm buying it to drive, NOT as an investment. That being said, I realize that one day I will sell it, and was wondering which model will hold its value best. I really don't need anything more a the base model, but if the "S" model will give a better return on the day I do sell it,I might as well get it now. I'm 60, and know that one day my age will force the sale.

So I thought I'd crowed source an answer from you all. Look in your crystal ball, and tell me which will hold a greater percentage its value in 10 years. Base/Manual, Base/PDK
, S/Manual, or S/PDK.

Thanks!

·
Registered
685 Posts
My experience with my Boxster S is that the base model will command a slightly lower percentage of its original value. Options typically do not hold their value (percentage wise). Manual v PDK? The enthusiasts will want manual, but PDK will have a broader market. I went S/PDK for my Cayman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Obviously the S will have a higher resale value over the base model. Manual vs. PDK - not so much. The PDK MAY have a slightly higher resale value because it's a $3000 option, but that will most likely be offset by higher resale values driven by demand for a manual transmission.

The bottom line is, it's all speculative at this point. I wouldn't worry about it. Buy what you want, not what it'll sell for later. Cars are not investments.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would go for a base model with PDK. I have just bought a base boxster with manual transmission. It is a dream BUT.......... If you see my post from yesterday, you will see that the clutch is causing pretty bad knee pains. I dont know how your joints are (Knee/ankle) but in case you have had any issues with the joints of your left leg in the past (you mentioned you are 60), I would strongly recommend to go for a PDK. I would not care much about the resale value, especially when you intend to keep the car for longer.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think the base 6mt is the best configuration for a street driven cayman. The 2.7 sounds glorious, and you can push it harder without Losing your license. While the S definitely has more shove, the long gearing makes it impossible to redline the car outside of first gear without breaking the law. If you want a gt car that spends most its life at 3-5000 rpm, then get the S in PDK. Otherwise, the base is more fun and the purest Porsche sports car experience. There’s just something special about winding out this 2.7.

As for resale, I think the 6mt flat 6 will be the most desired config. I could see Porsche eventually phasing out the 6mt like Ferrari has recently done. I also believe both the S and 2.7 base will hold the same.

Reactions: iiagdtr and RickH

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would go with a 3.4 PDK. You don't think you need the extra power until you taste it, or have a 2.7 for a while and want for a little. Yes the 2.7 is in a higher state of tune because there is no competition in that size of motor. A little software upgrade on the 3.4 however, and you can have a little more hp than a base 991. Just my two cents. Buy what ever makes you happy, enjoy it, drive the hell out of it, and don't worry about resale value. A flat six loves to be revved past 7,000 rpms. They will all be similar down the road.

·
Registered
392 Posts
When I see a base Cayman, I feel a slight bit of disdain that the guy doesn't have an S. A lot of others - including potential buyers down the road - will probably feel the same. Face it, a Porsche is something of a status symbol (compare your perception of a Porsche to a Corvette) and like all status symbols, "more is more." Get an S.

·
Registered
346 Posts
When I see a base Cayman, I feel a slight bit of disdain that the guy doesn't have an S. A lot of others - including potential buyers down the road - will probably feel the same. Face it, a Porsche is something of a status symbol (compare your perception of a Porsche to a Corvette) and like all status symbols, "more is more." Get an S.
When I see someone in a Cayman, I feel a slight bit of disdain that the guy doesn't have a 911...lol With your insecure logic, no one will ever be satisfied. More can definitely be too much or unnecessary.

I think if status was the main goal, we wouldn't settle for a Cayman over the 911. The fact is, the base is a great car in its own right.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This gal has the base Cayman. If someone feels disdain about that, I think it says more about their insecurity than me. There’s a Heinlien quote about “The boss is the one that does the bossing,” meaning that leadership comes from within, not from a title. It’s the same way with status.

Jalopnik says the base 981 Cayman exceeds the S 987. I’ve driven the hell out of the 987 S, and it is more than enough for a spirited drive.

I think you can get beyond stressed trying to guess the future. Get what you want, drive it now, enjoy it. These are cars that want to be enjoyed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a base PDK and considered the S/PDK for HP increase only, but I found an amazing deal (after searching for 6 months) on a Base with 66k in amazing condition for $29k!!!

The fact that I drive down the road knowing how much I paid and knowing what an S owner paid is very gratifying. An S owner can look down on me all they want. I'm happy as a pig in #$%^.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a used 2014 CS with PDK. If I had ordered it new, as opposed to buying a CPO I would have gotten the manual transmission, although here in CA it has become a rare bird due to traffic. I think in the long run the MT will be the more desirable car simply due to rarity. It certainly is the more engaging drive. Now as far as the S vs the base car goes, I've driven both. Assuming you have no desire to track the car, the base is plenty powerful and because you can ring it out more, it is again more engaging. The key here is to ring it out. When I drove a base with PDK I was very disappointed. It felt like my Audi in that the PDK wants to shift into the highest possible gear ASAP. So you definitely need Sport Mode all the time when in town. However, this is not an issue with the MT, you never get higher than 3rd gear in town. Bottom line: If you get the base, get MT. If you get an S either get PDK or MT but I personally prefer MT and in the long run a naturally aspirated engine and MT will be the collectors ticket.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No question that S will hold value better. Hard call on MT v. PDK value. For now it is close, PDK is slightly better I'd say, but in years that may change as less and less cars are spec'd with sticks. I chose PDK S. I hope others don't feel disdain for fellow Porsche drivers because their cars have 40 or 50 less HP. That's a bit much. Base cars are great too, and I may have chosen base if I didn't track it.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I could see Porsche eventually phasing out the 6mt like Ferrari has recently done.
Recently? That happened back in 2010, when the 458 debuted. Recent is a year, not 9;). But yes, your main point is even more stark. Seems like nobody offers a manual tranny in a luxury brand now except Porsche. I just wish they put a taller 6th (or add a 7th), for quieter cruising (and better range). That's why I reluctantly went with PDK.

It felt like my Audi in that the PDK wants to shift into the highest possible gear ASAP. However, this is not an issue with the MT, you never get higher than 3rd gear in town.
Hey, you know you can drive a PDK in manual, right?;) That's what many of us exclusively do (and in sport mode too). The first 6 gears are basically like the manual, but we have 7th for cruising. And the perfectly executed (aggressive) throttle blips on downshifts with PSE are glorious, along with the 'blats' on upshifts. The only thing missing is a clutch pedal, but the advantages (instant shifts, paddle neutral, park feature, no grinded gears, no overrevs, no burned clutch, etc) are so many that I don't miss a shifter. I'm thinking of adding a Subaru WRX that I'd get in manual for sure, for the opposite reason (the CVT sucks).

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think the base 6mt is the best configuration for a street driven cayman. The 2.7 sounds glorious, and you can push it harder without Losing your license. While the S definitely has more shove, the long gearing makes it impossible to redline the car outside of first gear without breaking the law. If you want a gt car that spends most its life at 3-5000 rpm, then get the S in PDK. Otherwise, the base is more fun and the purest Porsche sports car experience. There’s just something special about winding out this 2.7.

As for resale, I think the 6mt flat 6 will be the most desired config. I could see Porsche eventually phasing out the 6mt like Ferrari has recently done. I also believe both the S and 2.7 base will hold the same.
i never understand this argument
you will.still be doing 127 kmhr at redline in 2nd on the base car vs 131 kmhr at redline in 2nd n the s so both illegal speeds

both cars have excessively long gearing

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
I could live with either gearbox as long as the car has the bigger engine. Even the S still looks and sounds faster than it actually is...I see no reason to settle for the base unless you're really comfortable with a moderate level of power that you will never want to exceed.

This is no longer true for the base 982 or 991.2 for obvious reasons, but 981 is nice and old fashioned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I knew I would ONLY accept a manual and found one at my local Porsche Center. I drove it and loved it. It only had a small handful of options but I was willing to accept that. The sales associate asked if I'd consider a PDK and I firmly said no. He said he asked because he had the same color combination but with way more options in PDK that he thought I could actually get cheaper then the less equipped manual car as it had been on the lot longer. So, I drove the PDK car and surprisingly enjoyed it. I ended up with the PDK and have been surprisingly VERY happy with it. I drive in manual mode 90% of the time and only have it in Auto int he rare occurrence I find traffic. All that said, my next Porsche will be a conventional manual again.

Reactions: RidgeRacer

·
Registered
200 Posts
I knew I would ONLY accept a manual and found one at my local Porsche Center. I drove it and loved it. It only had a small handful of options but I was willing to accept that. The sales associate asked if I'd consider a PDK and I firmly said no. He said he asked because he had the same color combination but with way more options in PDK that he thought I could actually get cheaper then the less equipped manual car as it had been on the lot longer. So, I drove the PDK car and surprisingly enjoyed it. I ended up with the PDK and have been surprisingly VERY happy with it. I drive in manual mode 90% of the time and only have it in Auto int he rare occurrence I find traffic. All that said, my next Porsche will be a conventional manual again.
I can imagine getting used to the PDK. Besides, let’s be honest - there are times where you get stuck in traffic, and you spend hours in first gear. Not fun.

But, that feeling of accelerating into a corner, engine braking down, turning hard, blipping the throttle and rev matching back to third perfectly? That is a level of skill I take pride in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Obviously the S will have a higher resale value over the base model. Manual vs. PDK - not so much. The PDK MAY have a slightly higher resale value because it's a $3000 option, but that will most likely be offset by higher resale values driven by demand for a manual transmission.

The bottom line is, it's all speculative at this point. I wouldn't worry about it. Buy what you want, not what it'll sell for later. Cars are not investments.
I agree with your assessment. Buy what you want. If you want a 6 speed and shift your own gears(who doesn’t!), then get that. For me, I would have a hard time purchasing anything Auto in a Porsche. If you want the extra bump in power, then surely get the S. I’m currently looking, and it needs to be the S and 6 speed, because that’s what will keep the smile on my face.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Resale on these cars is somewhat relative to what you buy it for anyhow, that said, an S will generally be easier to sell for a premium. Just look at any Porsche being sold used today. Don't mess around, 6MT hands down. : )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts