Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got 14 base. Love it. Wonderful sounds, it never gets old. Just wondering how you S guys deal with not hitting higher RPMs on city streets at reasonably illegal speeds. I even have trouble hitting 6-7k on city streets. And I mean driving as you should not artificially riding around slowly at 5-6k. i Have certainly driven faster cars, my modded 04 WRX is faster, but they are not as fun as this car. Winding out the 2.7 really is something. And the stock exhaust really surprises me how good it sounds. I had so many plans to spend more money on this car, but thinking why when it’s so much fun as is. just to clarify no tracking for me, just spiritred driving. I can certainly see the S for the track. But I am just loving this base cayman.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Glad this is your experience but it's not new. Growing up driving Fiat 124 spiders, coupes, 850 series spiders and coupes and even my X1/9, none were fast. Particularly if you contrasted them to Detroit V8 muscle cars. We took this jacked up Mustang in on trade, big wheels in the rear, side pipes, it was over the top. My brother and I both wanted it. My father let us each drive it wearing dealer plates and promptly sold it. Compared to say my friend's GTO in cornering manners predictability and joy in the twisties? It was the Fiat's all day long. Hundreds of pounds lighter, 4 wheel discs and wearing Pirelli's or Michelins when few Americans even knew those companies. In a red light sprint? Embarrassment for any Fiat, most imports actually. My brother had a 1.9 liter Opel GT, that car was way cool but again, slow compared to other cars of the time. The Europeans were onto something though because even boxy lightweight 128 sedans were a revelation in a corner compared to a Maverick or Pinto, it all just depends on what someone wants. Personally, I will never see a 4000 pound large sedan like a Challenger as a sports car even though nearly everyone who owns one believes they are.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Just got 14 base. Love it. Wonderful sounds, it never gets old. Just wondering how you S guys deal with not hitting higher RPMs on city streets at reasonably illegal speeds. I even have trouble hitting 6-7k on city streets. And I mean driving as you should not artificially riding around slowly at 5-6k. i Have certainly driven faster cars, my modded 04 WRX is faster, but they are not as fun as this car. Winding out the 2.7 really is something. And the stock exhaust really surprises me how good it sounds. I had so many plans to spend more money on this car, but thinking why when it’s so much fun as is. just to clarify no tracking for me, just spiritred driving. I can certainly see the S for the track. But I am just loving this base cayman.
The 2.7 L motor is one of the best sounding Porsche engines of all time. I had a 981 S, which I traded for my GTS 4.0. The 3.4 also sounded wonderful. Your dilemma regarding the difficulty reaching higher RPMs in the City is common and the answer is you can't do it unless you want to go to jail. You need to find some nice back roads or go to the track to really stretch the car's legs and hear that song of joy.

If you have some spare change, apparently the 2.7 sounds even better with PSE, which can be retrofitted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only concern with PSE is perhaps too many oops and burbles. They are are so many BMW idiots around here going 10mph with insane backfires. It gets old. Wish there was a way to reduce them. Other than that the YouTube vids of the PSE do sound good.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
My only concern with PSE is perhaps too many oops and burbles. They are are so many BMW idiots around here going 10mph with insane backfires. It gets old. Wish there was a way to reduce them. Other than that the YouTube vids of the PSE do sound good.
I hear you. I didn’t have PSE in the 981 and didn’t miss it. I have it in the GTS and it is fine, but there are no backfires or burbles in this version.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burbles are my only concern. Let’s see maybe next year if I can find one I will give it a try. If it’s too much burbles I can always take it off and sell. I do my own work so no install charge.

It’s funny because before I bought the 981, I figured I would do the PSE, tune and X73 with no doubts. Still want x73 if i could find it, but I don’t necessarily think a tune and PSE are a must. She’s pretty good stock for spirited street driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spent a year saving my money for a 3.4S but with the price rise over the last couple of years I could only afford a 2.7 in the end. Why i didnt drive one sooner is beyond me. The 2.7 is more than enough on the roads, just wish i had driven / bought one sooner and that being the case i could have got a better spec'd car sooner!

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes enjoy that 2.7!!! my gts 4.0 is too fast on street so it surely got a lot less fun. And sounds a lot worse too so u are not too motivated to rev it out lol....that's a great car which i regretted selling for 1/4 the price of a gts and 1/7 the price of a gt3

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes enjoy that 2.7!!! my gts 4.0 is too fast on street so it surely got a lot less fun. And sounds a lot worse too so u are not too motivated to rev it out lol....that's a great car which i regretted selling for 1/4 the price of a gts and 1/7 the price of a gt3
This was my thinking when I was going to save more and hold out for a 981 GTS. Mainly I did not want to wait, but since I was street driving only, I figured the 2.7 would be great and it is. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a base 981 with PSE. If you turn off Sport mode, then the burbles and crackles don't happen when you get off the gas suddenly. I believe that this is a deliberate design feature to add a bit more drama when PSE is activated in Sport mode. Love it!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Burbles are my only concern. Let’s see maybe next year if I can find one I will give it a try. If it’s too much burbles I can always take it off and sell. I do my own work so no install charge.
I added it to my 2.7 and the install, while invasive if you go the full monte with the factory switch as I did, is not difficult whatsoever. Suncoast has the complete setup as a kit and any dealer can enable the switch. Best $2000 spent. I also opted for the big red brake upgrade they sell as well. For selfish aesthetics really but a pretty massive upgrade to the brakes. Again, not that they really need it.
My only wish is they’d release the kit for Sport+ with rev matching. I don’t get why they don’t, they have it for the Macan and Panamera. Heck even my 21 GTI has it.

I have a base 981 with PSE. If you turn off Sport mode, then the burbles and crackles don't happen when you get off the gas suddenly. I believe that this is a deliberate design feature to add a bit more drama when PSE is activated in Sport mode. Love it!
I was about to say this too, but even in Sport, the burbles and pops don’t last that long honestly. Unlike some that are over the top, PSE might last 5-6 seconds on decel.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I’m just wrapping up a 14 year, 220k miles relationship with a 2.7 5 speed Cayman (13 winters in northern NY). I live and commute on mountain twisties every day. Serious mountain curves, 12% grades, straights.
Next week I pick up a 2015 981 Cayman base with 28k and PDK. 😃
Holy CRAP! That is awesome! Congrats...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m just wrapping up a 14 year, 220k miles relationship with a 2.7 5 speed Cayman (13 winters in northern NY). I live and commute on mountain twisties every day. Serious mountain curves, 12% grades, straights.
Next week I pick up a 2015 981 Cayman base with 28k and PDK. 😃
Mountain twisties is where this car shines. Wish i Had that commute instead of straight down the Garden state parkway. But I don’t commute in the 981, it is mostly for twisties in Harriman state park and other country roads about 15-20 min from my house. i think you will love your new car. And the interior is much nicer. Hopefully 14 more good years.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I thought the softronic tune can eliminate the burbles? I hate that sound too. Like you mentioned, the tuner kids have completely ruined that noise. Cops should be issuing tickets to them for it, imo. But anyway...yea...Softronic w/ eliminating the cracks/burbles should do it, I think.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know this would be more expensive but I wonder how catted headers and the stock exhaust would compare to the PSE with stock headers. I really like the stock exhaust just want a little more volume. Windows closed it sounds great, but open windows it quiet with all the wind noise. Plus headers and tune would give a little more power. Only downside is over 3000 dollar price.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts