Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my hands on a borla exhaust for my Boxster. Does anyone know how long a mechanic would take to install?

I live in San Jose, no access to a lift. Places around here are charging around $190/hour.

or any reputable Porsche mechanics on this forum in the South Bay?

·
Registered
336 Posts
2.5-3 hours would be a fair estimate.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
If the header to exhaust bolts don't cause a fuss of any kind, the swap is incredibly easy. Especially on a lift. But you just can't predict if that one portion is going to be super easy, or make you work for it.

I'm fortunate to have a lift AND the time to pre-soak those potentially fussy fasteners. Removal and install was a breeze.

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
107 Posts
So I finally got my hands on a borla exhaust for my Boxster. Does anyone know how long a mechanic would take to install?

I live in San Jose, no access to a lift. Places around here are charging around $190/hour.

I purchased the FVD catback exhaust (installation similar to your Borla). I had a local independent shop who specializes on European cars do it. They charged $400 and it came out great. I don't know if I overpaid or not, but that's what it cost me.

Good Luck

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the flange bolts come off with an impact/socket then it will take about 1-2 hours. If the flange bolts need to be ground off, it will take significantly longer. I did mine in my driveway on jackstands in about 3 hours by myself. I got lucky because I was able to get the flange bolts out with an impact gun and then a hammer.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
658 Posts
OP, insist on the shop to put Nickel based anti-seize compound to the bolt treads. The exhaust bolts' design are on a rust prone location. Any extra protection will help.

·
Registered
760 Posts
with an impact gun and then a hammer. Wow you are lucky good for you. That action sounds like the answer to a google search on how to most likely snap off exhaust bolts. The least amount of torque to loosen the fastener is the way to approach the job and careful observation while you do so, that way you can stop at the first sign there is a possible shearing as that should theoretically make the altered plans for extraction easier. If the threads can be saved that's a beautiful day.

·
Registered
1 Posts

RMG Enterprises in Sunnyvale is a great Porsche shop - perhaps give them a ring?

I'm local and would love to hear it once you have it installed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
with an impact gun and then a hammer. Wow you are lucky good for you. That action sounds like the answer to a google search on how to most likely snap off exhaust bolts. The least amount of torque to loosen the fastener is the way to approach the job and careful observation while you do so, that way you can stop at the first sign there is a possible shearing as that should theoretically make the altered plans for extraction easier. If the threads can be saved that's a beautiful day.
My system didn't require me to reuse the nuts and bolts from the stock exhaust. The impact gun was my best chance at removing the rusted nut after trying to do it by hand. It worked. The bolt is splined so it is incredibly difficult to remove unless you hammer it out.

I don't find my approach terribly unusual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts