Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the 981 owners who are also golfers...

Have you used your car to go to the range or course? I have seen several mentions here and there within threads dating back a few years.

Most recently, I saw a perspective buyer (Lifevicarious) asking within another thread asking if he could avoid having to put the clubs in passenger seat.

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/77000-anyone-regret-getting-base-model.html

There is a older Youtube video (five years) showing two sets of clubs being and bags being packing into the trunk. Here, all the clubs were removed from the bag and placed in the bottom of the trunk, then the bags were packed on top of the clubs and the trunk lid closed.

2 Full Golf Sets in Porsche Boxster Boot - YouTube

As I understand it, the 981 trunk space was slightly increased, so clubs should fit even better. I recently took my driver and a few irons to the range and they fit great in the trunk. I have not tried my carry bag and all clubs, have been too damn busy driving:burnout:

There is also a 981 video as well of a person unloading a bag with clubs in the bag, without the driver, driver is separate in the bottom of the trunk.

Golf clubs in the new 2013 Boxster - YouTube

I will be digging out my carry bag out of storage, I don't think my cart bag will fit (haven't tried yet). Since moving to Houston, most all my golf has been riding carts, used to walk much more in Alaska.

So how about other 981 golfers? Have you loaded up and taken your Boxster out to the course? I certainly plan too, and I'll be seeing if my golf buddy's gear fits as well as soon as we get a chance to get out again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
yes, the passenger seat is perfect for a set of clubs. i haven't seen clubs with collapsible shafts (twist locks) but if it works on my tripod, why not? i find the best place for the driver is behind the wheel facing forward with mirrors properly adjusted, i can't see very well if i am in the bottom of the trunk.

are you sure the golf questions shouldnt have been posted in the cayenne chat?

no, i don't regret the base model decision for a second. the 50 extra hp are a waste, imho (but i used to have fun in a series 1 sprite and a Honda 90 bike). i'd sooner spend the 10k on things that i would really want and use regularly - for me, bixenons, some good vacations, meals, etc.

·
Registered
441 Posts
See my response on the first thread you listed. -G

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for posting this as well as the video. That's greatly helpful. My standard bag right now is a similar size carry bag (Sun Mountain) so that would be perfect. It would probably shave a couple off my hdcp if I left the driver at home anyway! :) Worst case scenario, I could put the driver in the passenger seat, even if someone else was sitting there. We used to do this in my friends 911.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
I am not a golfer, but I wonder if scuba equipment still fits ;). I still remember an article in the German dive magazine "tauchen" from the late 1990ies where they did a diving road trip having the tanks and gear all loaded into the 986!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do not own a 981 yet, but do golf so I was interested in this. I will not take all the clubs out of the bag, that is ridiculous, just the driver sure, but all of them, no chance. That one video is funny, guy with a Suit jacket on.

I have a cart bag, will just put it in the front seat if needed.

I am curious if the average Cart bag minus the driver will fit though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Not a golfer, but I practice iaido (Japanese swordmanship), so the important thing is that a katana sword in a carrying case fits! It does... I need to make sure that the tip is placed firmly against the lower right hand side corner of the rear trunk, then I can get the other end in...

Valuable consumer advice for martial arts practicioners considering a 981 :cool:

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Not a golfer, but I practice iaido (Japanese swordmanship), so the important thing is that a katana sword in a carrying case fits! It does... I need to make sure that the tip is placed firmly against the lower right hand side corner of the rear trunk, then I can get the other end in...

Valuable consumer advice for martial arts practicioners considering a 981 :cool:
I do kendo, and have no problem fitting all the gear and shinai/sword bags, and overnight laggage for *2* people, if necessary!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I do kendo, and have no problem fitting all the gear and shinai/sword bags, and overnight laggage for *2* people, if necessary!
There you go! A 981 is a multi-purpose vehicle, fits every need! :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
It really is a practical sportscar. I do wisk the rtrunk was just a bit wider though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It also will fit a keg of beer in the front trunk :)

Reactions: type981s

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I used to play a lot of golf but had to give it up.....that darn wind mill thingy kept getting in my way and it was way too frustrating.:hilarious:

I'm sorry about that. I couldn't stop myself even though it's a very old joke.

:cheers:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I used to play a lot of golf but had to give it up.....that darn wind mill thingy kept getting in my way and it was way too frustrating.:hilarious:

I'm sorry about that. I couldn't stop myself even though it's a very old joke.

:cheers:
How about that big green dinosaur... it's not very sporting! :taunt:

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, I have been lurking around trying to decide between a 987.2 S and a 981 base Boxster. Well I drove the 981 Base over the weekend and had decided to go with the 981. I had previously driven a 987.
I forgot to bring my golf clubs with me to test since many are saying the trunk is bigger. I went today and they do not fit. I took out the driver and 3 wood and the hybrid and my belly putter and they would not fit. Then I took out the 3 iron and my 4 iron and I could get them in but just like the you tube video I ended up dumping the clubs out. My bag is a wilson carry bag which is smaller than a cart bag. This is a major hassle and there is still not enough room to put the other clubs back in the trunk.
What it looks like is that since the wheel base is longer you can't get stuff into the corner of the trunk. My clubs are also a 1/2 long making this even worse.
Unfortunately this is a deal killer. I always keep my clubs with me since I hit the driving range on the way home from work at least two days a week and sometimes three.
Fortunately I really like the 987 so this makes my decision easier.
SlideRuyle

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK, I have been lurking around trying to decide between a 987.2 S and a 981 base Boxster. Well I drove the 981 Base over the weekend and had decided to go with the 981. I had previously driven a 987.
I forgot to bring my golf clubs with me to test since many are saying the trunk is bigger. I went today and they do not fit. I took out the driver and 3 wood and the hybrid and my belly putter and they would not fit. Then I took out the 3 iron and my 4 iron and I could get them in but just like the you tube video I ended up dumping the clubs out. My bag is a wilson carry bag which is smaller than a cart bag. This is a major hassle and there is still not enough room to put the other clubs back in the trunk.
What it looks like is that since the wheel base is longer you can't get stuff into the corner of the trunk. My clubs are also a 1/2 long making this even worse.
Unfortunately this is a deal killer. I always keep my clubs with me since I hit the driving range on the way home from work at least two days a week and sometimes three.
SlideRuyle
The left rear well is deeper than the right. I can get my driver to fit if I put the club head in the back left side first. Doesn't work the other way around. See if that helps? I haven't tried to fit a whole set in the rear yet. I need to give it a shot and report back.

Reactions: r5turbo2

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
SlideRuyle
My experience also. I'm thinking the 987 trunk interior is wider side to side and possibly the trunk opening is a bit wider. I have a carry bag that fits with the short irons but can't get in with the driver of 3 wood. I used to get my 47" shaft driver in the 987 if I took it out of the bag; never happen on the 981.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use the 981 Cayman to go to my course. As this was my worry, the worst came to light after taken delivery.
I therefor have posted the thread about golfclubs in the 981 cayman incl pictures.

look at the golf in 981 thread incl picture

The size of the trunk opening has reduced in width and not good ability to put the stand bag in east/west but 2 easily fit north/south.
This does expose them and more over on an emergency brake you need to be afraid the clubs smash the front window!

·
Premium Member
2013, Porsche, Boxster, S PDK SC PSE
4 Posts
The left rear well is deeper than the right. I can get my driver to fit if I put the club head in the back left side first. Doesn't work the other way around. See if that helps? I haven't tried to fit a whole set in the rear yet. I need to give it a shot and report back.
I've had no problem getting my clubs in the trunk of my 2013 981 Boxster if I take out the driver/3 wood and fit them into the extra long space at the back of the trunk. The rest of my bag fits fine in the main trunk space minus the woods. Had a friend with a 981 Cayman and the same approach worked for him too. This is just for the bag and clubs. Pull cart likely won't fit.

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S
4 Posts
Interesting thread as I just went through the same thing: my golf bag that fit in my 987.1 BS not longer fits the trunk of my 981 BS. This was quite a shock since it's my understanding that the 981 was wider than the 987. Also, had no idea that the niche on the 981's left was deeper than the one on its right. I now must put the woods in the empty passenger side and the bag with irons in the trunk. I know that the Japanese would never make a car without considering space for golf bags - my 350z would hold two bags. Apparently, the Germans don't really care that much about the sport.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Interesting thread as I just went through the same thing: my golf bag that fit in my 987.1 BS not longer fits the trunk of my 981 BS. This was quite a shock since it's my understanding that the 981 was wider than the 987. Also, had no idea that the niche on the 981's left was deeper than the one on its right. I now must put the woods in the empty passenger side and the bag with irons in the trunk. I know that the Japanese would never make a car without considering space for golf bags - my 350z would hold two bags. Apparently, the Germans don't really care that much about the sport.
I lived in Germany for 4 years. I didn't see many golf courses.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts