Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking the time might be right to sell my beloved 2015 GTS and put in an order for a 2021 Spyder. I've been perusing the various sites trying to get an idea of the value my GTS has and have gotten one quote from a dealer that was, to be blunt, an insult. To be clear, I've bought and sold well over 50 cars in my lifetime, I know the dance. I'm just looking for advice since I know this is one of the most active forums for Porsche enthusiasts on the web and there is a lot of assembled knowledge here.

Here's the spec: The car has 16,500 miles and a brand new set of N0 Michelin PS4S shoes. All service is current and documented.

I'm thinking retail is in the mid $60's and trade should be in the high $50's. The first "offer" was $48K and that's with the understanding I would be placing an order for a Spyder (they have allocation).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt.... its not meant to insult.

The late flat6 GTS is arguably coveted by purists/enthusiasts which has nothing to do with trade in value at a dealer.

You are after a sought after car, allocation or not.
And though you have a desirable model..... black book values are all the dealer will use.

Private sale is the path if I was you....

Your build sheet is quite attractive.

2015/2016 market is strong.... I know of three guys in my neighborhood unloading 2015/2016 GTS's (I'm in Canada so values are nothing the same) to buy the new 4.0

All three of them have pending private sales...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No insult taken. This was mostly to make sure my observations on market price was accurate. I know dealers work off book value but I also remember the days when there was no book for Porsche’s. Another thing to consider is those books are primarily based on auction results, which back in the day were non existent so all it takes are a few people or dealers dumping their cars to skew the book.

I’m 90% sure I’ll be going the private sale route but I just started this journey so I’ll give a couple other dealerships I have dealt with in the past a bite at the apple before I advertise it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ll be watching this thread too; 2015 CGTS and have been thinking about unloading it and holding the cash until the ‘new’ wears off of the 718 GTS 4.0.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I was offered the book wholesale price for my 2016 Cayman S and the dealer made it clear that that was it. I took it, as the tax considerations for my new 4.0 made it pretty much a wash as compared to a private sale.
The OP is a veteran and certainly is aware, but for others, check the tax rules in your jurisdiction. In mine, the trade in price is deducted from the cost of the new car prior to calculating sales tax.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, it gets complicated when you get into tax advantages. For these higher priced cars it can be tough to calculate. For example, the tax advantage for me is 6%, that’s not enough margin for the dealer, they want at least 10% after their costs. For a CPO Porsche that can mean anywhere from $2000 - $3000 in fees to the mothership for the extended warranty in addition to any maintenance and reconditioning the vehicle may need to bring it current and we’ve all seen the ridiculous required maintenance items when you hit high mileage or age. I figure the dealer will want at least 15% margin before costs so $57000 is my target. It’s all going to come down to how well they know their market and cultivate their clientele. About a year ago I got a call from the servicing dealer, they had a buyer looking for a 15 or 16 GTS so they were willing to offer me top dollar but I wasn’t in a position to sell. There wasn’t anything new that tripped my trigger.

I suspect I’m not the only one who was holding a 981 having second thoughts with the 4.0 models. Sadly, that will probably cause our values to go down so I’d like to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. So basically if either of the other dealers I have calls out to offer $55k or more and have an allocation I’ll ink a deal.

Reactions: RustyT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, it gets complicated when you get into tax advantages. For these higher priced cars it can be tough to calculate. For example, the tax advantage for me is 6%, that’s not enough margin for the dealer, they want at least 10% after their costs. For a CPO Porsche that can mean anywhere from $2000 - $3000 in fees to the mothership for the extended warranty in addition to any maintenance and reconditioning the vehicle may need to bring it current and we’ve all seen the ridiculous required maintenance items when you hit high mileage or age. I figure the dealer will want at least 15% margin before costs so $57000 is my target. It’s all going to come down to how well they know their market and cultivate their clientele. About a year ago I got a call from the servicing dealer, they had a buyer looking for a 15 or 16 GTS so they were willing to offer me top dollar but I wasn’t in a position to sell. There wasn’t anything new that tripped my trigger.

I suspect I’m not the only one who was holding a 981 having second thoughts with the 4.0 models. Sadly, that will probably cause our values to go down so I’d like to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. So basically if either of the other dealers I have calls out to offer $55k or more and have an allocation I’ll ink a deal.
I was on the allocation list and got the call from my sales guy. I was hoping the list price would have been just a bit lower. I have about 25k on my 2nd owner with a moderate spec build, thinking low to mid 50’s would be good. Sticker shock set in and I realized I have it pretty good with the one I have.

I’d love a new 4.0, but am looking forward to paying this one off in a few months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 15 GTS w PDK, only 12K miles. I went through all the numbers re a new 4.0 GTS but decided to stay with what I have in large measure due to the gear ratios in the new car making it basically a two gear car in all but most spirited driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 15 GTS w PDK, only 12K miles. I went through all the numbers re a new 4.0 GTS but decided to stay with what I have in large measure due to the gear ratios in the new car making it basically a two gear car in all but most spirited driving.
Yep, the long legs in second gear make it great for Highway on-ramp runs to 80, but that’s about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The success of the elder brother is neither enhanced or assured by holding back the younger.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Considering how overpriced these cars are I am keeping My 981 is not like the new ones are amazingly superior especially for the money they are asking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts