Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird vibration noise

The past couple weeks of noticed some weird vibration noise coming from my passenger side. I finally think ive figured out the source. It appears to be the mesh windscreen thing directly behind the seat, not the middle windscreen. Has anyone else notices this? It happens most under moderate acceleration at lower speeds.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: Weird vibration noise

I have a rattle in the exact same spot. I'll check it out when the car comes out of storage soon. Did you remove it and the rattle go away?

Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have a rattle in the exact same spot. I'll check it out when the car comes out of storage soon. Did you remove it and the rattle go away?

Thanks for the heads-up.
I just put some pressure on it while driving and the sounds stopped. Haven't had time to investigate removing it....I guess it just pops off?

·
Registered
86 Posts

I think I have the same thing. At first I thought it was the windscreen but found that it really was near where the middle of the fabric top connected to the back windshield. Putting my hand there stopped the noise. Something up in the roof must be rubbing the fabric.

I just keep it above 5k rpms; seems to solve it.

?

·
Registered
33 Posts

The past couple weeks of noticed some weird vibration noise coming from my passenger side. I finally think ive figured out the source. It appears to be the mesh windscreen thing directly behind the seat, not the middle windscreen. Has anyone else notices this? It happens most under moderate acceleration at lower speeds.
Did you ever find a solution to this? I've been experiencing this for a while and have tried many, many times to address it, including taking it to the dealer 3 times.

Driving me absolutely nuts.

·
Registered
832 Posts

Early on in my 02 Boxster ownership the top got a bit floppy/noisy at highway speed.

I took it to the dealer and asked for the top to be made a bit tighter. Not sure how this is done but it was done and the top has been quiet ever since.

The windscreen can make some noise. It can be installed incorrectly, that is not fully secure. In fact, I've had it come loose once or twice until I got the hang of how to properly install it.

Also, the SM at my dealership (Livermore) drove the Boxster - he picks up/drops off my cars when they are to be serviced -- a while back and noticed some rattle from that area and told me the next time I had the car in for service he'd have this addressed. I seem to recall thin pieces of felt with adhesive backing being mentioned.

Which reminds me the car in currently in for service (oil/filter service and new rear tires and new front brakes) so I'll send him an email reminding him of this promise to have this minor rattle addressed.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Did these issues ever get fixed / resolved?

·
Registered
832 Posts

Been so busy I have not had time to pick up the Boxster. I did test drive it one night after work and it sounded quieter but I do not know if the SM had someone apply the windscreen rattle fix.

Probably won't have the Boxster and be using it for any length of time until this weekend. I'll have time to pick it up this Saturday.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The sound went away on its own....but now its back. It seems to be related to temperature. Or maybe it has to do with me not hearing it with the top down or when the top is down the way the wind behaves stops it. In any event now that its back im going to look into it.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Please let me know. I have had vibration issues for a long time with my Lexus convertible likely due also to big temperature changes here in toronto

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I was certain it was the mesh thing behind the passenger side but I pulled that out and it still makes it. Checked the seatbelt...nothing. I have no idea and will be swinging by the dealer this week. It happens most around 50mph and about 4k rpm...but it really bugs me.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts

I was certain it was the mesh thing behind the passenger side but I pulled that out and it still makes it. Checked the seatbelt...nothing. I have no idea and will be swinging by the dealer this week. It happens most around 50mph and about 4k rpm...but it really bugs me.

I have such a noise with the roof up behind my right. My theory is that something rattles and vibrates in the roof mechanism while up...

·
Registered
33 Posts

I've had a similar annoying sound coming from my top (when up) as well. Will be taking to the dealer soon to address issue.

The sound seems come from within the roof membrane panel between the rear window and the rollover bar (mesh wind deflector removed during winter). To describe the sound I would say it sounds almost like velcro rubbing together with some light squeaking (my uneducated guess is that the various sound proofing materials are either not taut? perhaps cooler temperature adds to issue?). Taking right hand off the wheel and applying pressure to roof panel (again just above & behind head) stops the noise. Not as noticeable with stereo on of course, but annoying none the less.

If other members have had a similar issue and successful resolve I'd be interested to hear about it. :thanks:

·
Registered
56 Posts

Mine has vibrations at around 2400-2900 RPM's. This happens in 6th gear or just about any other gear when you are cruising and start to accelerate moderately. This is where it sounds like your have a loose bee in the back. The sound is in the back right rear side some where behind the passenger side. Most annoying this ever.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Any resolution? My theory is the cause is the mechanical flaps that open and close with the roof. When the roof is up, they're open in a vertical position right behind the headrests. I've flicked them with my finger and they rattle. I'm trying to figure out a solution because it annoys me also.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts

Any resolution? My theory is the cause is the mechanical flaps that open and close with the roof. When the roof is up, they're open in a vertical position right behind the headrests. I've flicked them with my finger and they rattle. I'm trying to figure out a solution because it annoys me also.
Still have been too lazy to bring it in... I am just having to much fun driving it ;)

Reactions: KRG

·
Registered
8 Posts

I had the same problem - a distinct resonance at 2900 rpm that was driving me nuts. It happened in all 6 gears and was a bit less severe under heavier load (going up hill). The dealer blew it off as normal, and so did a couple of other mechanics, which I'm sure you all know is infuriating. Well, I now go to a small shop that specializes in Porsche and the last time I had it in for service, the mechanic said "oh, by the way, your tail pipes are touching the bumper (not centered in the cutout)...we straightened that out so they're centered again"....

I didn't realize until the next morning that the resonance was gone (you tend to block it out after a while), and it never came back. That's all it was!:dance:

·
Premium Member
83 Posts

I've noticed the same thing through the winter. Like a buzzing behind the passenger seat. Definitely more noticeable when it's cold. Strangely had something similar that I never figured out in my 978 CS. Now it's warmer, I haven't heard it, and defiantly not with the top down.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts