Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi – I posting this to both the 981 & 718 chats as I could not seem to post to both simultaneously.

I have two cars as options, and both can be bought for virtually the same price: A 2015 Boxster S with 15k mi or a 2017 Boxster with 30k mi. Both are the same color and trim spec, including 20” 911 Turbo wheels. The ’17 still has 14 months of warranty.

This is likely a long-term purchase - 5 to possibly 10 years and plan to use as a daily driver, though I only put 5k miles per on per year.

What is the better car to have for 5 to 10 years in terms of value, enjoyment, and daily drivability? My inclination is to go for the 981 for the engine, but is the 718 a better daily driver?

Thanks,

DJH

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, between the two I would choose the 981 since they are identical in color and features. The 981 is older and has less miles, so it's probably going to continue to hold it's value especially with that 3.4L F6 engine and S on the back.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Currently have a '14 BS (with 18K) and some exposure to a 718. They are both great cars and very similar in appearance and performance. Overall, I would opt for the 981 for the sound and for the likely better value in the long run. If you are planning to use as a daily driver, there might be some argument for the remaining warranty on the 718, but the 981 should be very robust for a lot of years.

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
508 Posts
I daily drive a 2014 BS, just rolled over 75K miles. Still love it as much as the day I got it. Packs a lot of groceries in the frunk and a set of clubs in the trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies - good advice. I guess it should be no surprise that the 981 forum generated 100% support for the 981, and that 718 forum did the same for that model.

David

·
Registered
88 Posts
The good news is that there is not a wrong choice between the models. They are both world class cars. Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S
1 Posts
It really just comes down to the engine you want IMO

I wanted the 6, so i bought mine. If you wanted the turbo, get that. They are both amazing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts