Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a 981 Boxster S PDK and struggling with PASM and PSE. For those that have had either or both, if you had to choose one or the other, which would you ensure was on your car? Or might it be both onbly LOL? Thanks for your time, very much appreciated.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have PASM and no PSE. I want the handling and don’t need the noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: RickH

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
If I could only pick one - PASM, hands down.

Reactions: RickH and ddodd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I could only pick one - PASM, hands down.
Unfortunately locally they have not had either a PASM or PSE vehicle roll I yet for me. I have always been kind of focused on the PSE as a must have, but the more I read I am starting to wonder if I had to choose between the two, that in fact the PASM is the better option of the two? Especially since our roads here suck.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
PASM! PSE can be retrofitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am in the market for a 981 Boxster S PDK and struggling with PASM and PSE. For those that have had either or both, if you had to choose one or the other, which would you ensure was on your car? Or might it be both onbly LOL? Thanks for your time, very much appreciated.
If you can, get both. I did not have either on my 981 Boxster base and 991 Carrera base, but do have both on my CGTS. PASM makes the ride so much more comfortable and PSE just puts a smile on my face every time I drive my car. My next Porsche will have both too.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I have PASM and no PSE. I want the handling and don’t need the noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly. PASM is seamless and very effective. I find the stock exhaust loud enough, and it doesn't mask the music coming from the engine.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I couldn't find a PASM equipted car in the color and options, so I'm not PASM. Car with 20" is fine without PASM, of course I'm comparing it to a C5 Corvette and a 1970 914, both gone replaced with the 981.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have both and I also added, in the last minute, PTV. PASM is useless to me because I can feel the difference only on the track, don't know about others. Roads around here are horrendous so it is always off. When I hit smooth stretch of tarmac, I am going way too slow (twice speed limit into some corners, at least 66% over in most corners) to tell the difference, frankly. However, that said, X73 was NOT an option for me (driveway, roads around me), so PASM it was.

If I were building a 981 again, and there was money for only ONE option, that would be PSE. If I were building a 981 and have money for TWO options only, that would probably be PSE and PTV.

Please keep in mind that these cars have very different intended uses by their owners. I am still, at 50, a teenage hooligan that likes to make stupid noises on the road and I bought my 981 primarily for training on empty roads and track driving, I never use it for mundane duties. Your intended use could be a LOT different and that should decide which option(s) to get. Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 981 CS has neither. I would have loved PASM but got impatient on my purchase.
You can always add PSE or other aftermarket , but you cannot add PASM.
I added PSE to my PDK, but didn’t like the highway drone... so, I removed it - in fact I need to list it for sale.

·
Registered
832 Posts
PASM, In spite of what some claim, it is softer than stock when not activated and firmer than stock when engaged. I love PSE on other peoples cars. It sounds great, but I've heard it still drones at hwy speeds so for me its a no go.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have both on my Spyder and liked them both so much I made sure my next car had them both (911). I like the firm ride and noise but turn everything off when on trips with my wife in the cars. Any future cars of mine will have both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have both and I also added, in the last minute, PTV. PASM is useless to me because I can feel the difference only on the track, don't know about others. Roads around here are horrendous so it is always off. When I hit smooth stretch of tarmac, I am going way too slow (twice speed limit into some corners, at least 66% over in most corners) to tell the difference, frankly. However, that said, X73 was NOT an option for me (driveway, roads around me), so PASM it was.

If I were building a 981 again, and there was money for only ONE option, that would be PSE. If I were building a 981 and have money for TWO options only, that would probably be PSE and PTV.

Please keep in mind that these cars have very different intended uses by their owners. I am still, at 50, a teenage hooligan that likes to make stupid noises on the road and I bought my 981 primarily for training on empty roads and track driving, I never use it for mundane duties. Your intended use could be a LOT different and that should decide which option(s) to get. Good luck!
So on rough city roads, PASM on and in sport mode is just too harsh? I like a firm ride, feel the road, so I was starting to think PASM might be more important than PSE..but never thought of this and the fact it might be to stiff?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pasm is always on, it's the default comfort mode.

On sport setting its a bit stiffer. But in any case it's way more comfy on bad road conditions then with the default suspension.

I would get Pasm every time over pse.

·
Registered
256 Posts
vote for PSE if you had to choose between the two, I'm looking to add it at some point when I find the right ppl to do it. X73 is a great option later to do on your own, just did it myself and couldn't be happier with it. Have a review in the mods section if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
So on rough city roads, PASM on and in sport mode is just too harsh? I like a firm ride, feel the road, so I was starting to think PASM might be more important than PSE..but never thought of this and the fact it might be to stiff?
It is not harsh. What I meant is that rough surface upsets the chassis so, form all the hopping, you really cannot tell the difference. When you are on smooth road, hitting the corner at 70 mph while still being at around 5/10ths of the car makes no difference with PASM on or off. You can feel PASM working past 7/10ths when you start steering the car with your feet and suspension is almost fully loaded in the corner.

Again, it is only my opinion. PSE and PTV are so easy to enjoy and you can tell difference on the street while, at least in my case and opinion, PASM is truly felt only on the track.

·
Registered
200 Posts
vote for PSE if you had to choose between the two, I'm looking to add it at some point when I find the right ppl to do it. X73 is a great option later to do on your own, just did it myself and couldn't be happier with it. Have a review in the mods section if you're interested.
I just read that. Blows my mind you got it all done for $800 including alignment. Seems like a no-brainer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pasm is always on, it's the default comfort mode.

On sport setting its a bit stiffer. But in any case it's way more comfy on bad road conditions then with the default suspension.

I would get Pasm every time over pse.
Thank you. Seems like PASM is getting a few more must have votes over PSE..although I keep thinking PSE would bring many smiles to my face..haven't found anyone saying much to the contrary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.