Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys new to the forum. recently got a 981 boxster s with pdk. stock exhaust is a bit too quite you have to really step on gas pass 5k rpm then can hear some engine scream which sounds not bad.

have been reading few pse retrofit posts here see people saying the drone is different on cayman or boxster also depending on the gearbox.

so i would like to ask anyone here with a boxster s that retrofitted a pse to share some experience, really don't want much drone on highway speed would be annoying even though i occasionally do highway trips. is the drone acceptable on the boxster s with pdk box?
for anyone done the retrofit do you regret doing it? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have PSE, if anything I'd like it a bit more radical when it's on but Porsche did a magical job of making sure there is no drone and when it's off and the top is up its civil. If you purchase the factory system and install it I can't see why the result would be any different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're not wedded to PSE I'd consider the Soul Performance valved exhaust - I had one installed on my BS earlier this year and couldn't be happier with it. There is very slight drone around 2200-2400rpm, but it's pretty mild and only becomes noticeable if the engine is under load going up an incline... and it absolutely screams if you open the valve. Completely changed the driving experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On the drone (or resonance) topic, there are a few things to consider:
1. It is more pronounced in a Cayman. This is due to the roof structure (incl the rear glass section) and rear trunk working as a "sound enhancer".
2. Porsche made changes to the PSE for MY 2016 (according to german car magazines).

I have a -16 CGTS and the resonance is there around 3500 rpm, but I think it is more related to the fact it is a Cayman than the PSE. The PSE is superb in transforming the sound picture when needed.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
811 Posts
I have PDK 2016 Cayman & PSE is "ON" all the time. Very minimal drone and only at about 2,500 rpm. Never intrusive and tiring on long drives for me but I also know that different people have different sound sensitivity and sound frequency tolerance.
Adding PSE will always be the best thing you will ever do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cayman S 2015, manual gearbox, retrofitted PSE not so long ago. Honestly - I forgot that anyone even mentioned drone. Best upgrade, I only wish I could control pops and burbles with a knob. :) To tone them down a little bit.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I am really not aware of any drone on any rpm in my factory installed PSE. Cayman S.

I might try 3,500 rpm next warm season. If I remember correctly, 80 mph in 6th MT is still around 3,000 rpm, so I do not recall ever driving at that rpm for prolonged period. Maybe the drone would be there if I downshift to 5th or 4th on the highway, I just never heard it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts