Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I've been looking to enter the community for awhile now and I found a car I'm really interested in.

The biggest concern I have is the one (rear?) tire with only 4/32" of tread left vs the rest with at least 7. At only 5.5k miles this seems off. I will of course have a PPI done if I move forward, but if this is a major red flag then I'd rather skip out now. Everything else makes it look pretty great too me and the price is hard to beat around here. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Most likely explanation: Left rear tire replaced when it was worn down by 2/32".

Rationale: Rears wear faster than fronts, so if all four original tires were still on the car both rears would be at 5/32 and fronts at 7/32. If one rear was indeed replaced, it would have a more recent date code on the sidewall.

I'd say this is nothing to worry about. Replacing tires in pairs is only warranted when the tread wear difference is more pronounced.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Total mileage on car would be helpful. If it's closer to 20K than 10K, I suspect exactly what 'couver described. If closer to 10K, it's the first Cayman I've heard of that wears front and rears at the same rate.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts