Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family and I are getting into amateur tracking and autocross. I own a 22 Cayman S, but I want a second, less-expensive car that I'm willing to punish a bit.

For a starter track toy, does it matter whether I start with Cayman S or Boxster S?

It seems like 981 Boxsters are much easier to come by, so I lean that direction.

But should I be patient and wait for a Cayman? It seems like for safety and future competition requirements it's the better choice.

I don't know what I don't know at this point, so I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks!

· Registered
2014 Cayman S GT Silver over expresso
92 Posts
I would just use your 22 if it is past the break in stage. It is certainly a fine autox machine, probably tracking as well. I’m sure it will be fine unless there is a real desire to have a second Cayman for other reasons like not trusting other drivers to not crash…

· Registered
28 Posts
I would just use your 22 if it is past the break in stage. It is certainly a fine autox machine, probably tracking as well. I’m sure it will be fine unless there is a real desire to have a second Cayman for other reasons like not trusting other drivers to not crash…
I agree. If you other reasons for second car, go for it. If not, you are very good with your 22 S.

Don't worry about 'punishing' your 22. You have a warranty that covers any serious mechanicals, which you probably won't have with an older car.
FWIW, for the past 10 years I've tracked the pants off a couple CPO Porsches in the advanced group - each had one issue (camshaft bolt, leaking shock) that were covered by Porsche.

For DE, do upgrade to track brake pads and brake fluid, and a get track alignment. And when you wear out your tires, buy stickier ones.
You will have a ton of fun!

· Registered
680 Posts
If you are looking for a track only car, I might try and find something easier and less expensive to work on than a 981. If you are getting a second car and want a convertible that you can have fun with the Boxster is fun in that regard. I have used my Boxster on dozens of tracks and have never encountered any restrictions... all depends on what's in your vicinity. Definitely worth looking into before you buy.

I'm currently in the same boat. I am doing more and more events and getting to the point where I want to push harder.
Trying to find something I can toss around a track with, if not reckless abandon, less worry. Depends on what level you're at and what kind of events you're running. PCA HPDE's are among the safest and well organized events you can find and I've seen more than a couple cars leave on flatbeds. Things happen. Other organizations can be a bit more wild and woolly so no matter how careful you are, there are plenty of other jackasses to worry about subjecting your daily to.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oldboy said:
I would just use your 22 if it is past the break in stage. It is certainly a fine autox machine, probably tracking as well. I’m sure it will be fine unless there is a real desire to have a second Cayman for other reasons like not trusting other drivers to not crash

You hit it exactly. I want others to be able to drive it for non-competitive autocross and open track days, as well as let friends and family have a little fun with it. There's no way I would trust my $100k 22 Cayman S to a friend or my son. ;)

There's also the issue of my pending trade-in with the Cayman. I'm waiting for my 911 allocation to come in, and when I get that I'll be trading the Cayman back.

The plan is two cars: a) a beautiful 911 for daily driver and b) a older Cayman/Boxster for autocross/track, and maybe eventually some light competition.

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
958 Posts
I drive my 981 Boxster S with NASA, PCA, and member days at a couple tracks in the Dallas, TX area. The only group I'm aware of that does not allow Boxsters with OEM rollover protection is BMW CCA, but I recommend you check with whatever groups you're interested in running with.

In capable hands, the Boxster S can more than match the Cayman S and a good chunk of 911 variants on the track, so don't let that dissuade you.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are looking for a track only car, I might try and find something easier and less expensive to work on than a 981.
So that's an issue I'm trying to figure out.

In the long run, is a manual 987.1 S cheaper to maintain and less hassle than a 981 S? Gut instinct seems like a newer car would have less maintenance and repair issues.

I'm terrible at anything mechanical, so pretty much any repairs are going to need to be handled in a shop. I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

But if I'll be there just as much with a 981 as a 987.1, then there's no reason to pay more. Thoughts?

· Registered
680 Posts
I'm of a couple thoughts on this as it's something I'm wrestling with myself. I just came to the conclusion that I'm not the trailer a track car guy. So now I'm looking at a mostly if not fully dedicated track car that I can drive to and from events.

Now, the smart money is on just getting a Mustang, Camaro, or Miata and calling it a day, but even though you can bring any car to a PCA event, I would like to keep it in the family so to speak.

I'm personally looking for something like a 944 or 928 to trash or even a 914, but that's because I have goofy notions about what's "cool" and what isn't.

As for the 987.1, I think you'll find there are so many aftermarket parts dialed in for that, it might be a better long-run choice. Also, if you are relying on a shop for everything, it will get spendy no matter which way you go, but I think there will be less of a Porsche tax on the 987.1.

Your results/interests may vary, this is just my take. Personally, I would go older and also play around a bit with trying to fix things yourself. There are You Tube videos for almost everything. Start with simple things and eventually you'll get comfortable figuring things out.

End of day, getting on the track is a blast. The smart guys put their egos aside and just do it. F the rest of the world!!*

*but always wave faster guys by.

Reactions: freshelectric

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
958 Posts
Here are a few thoughts...

1. A Porsche (no matter which you choose) is relatively expensive for consumables and relatively expensive to fix if you break it.
2. The 987.1 (M97) has some engine design issues that were fixed with the 987.2/981 (MA1). Plenty of people track them, but plenty stories of bore scoring and spun rod bearings as well.

You'll hear that Miata is always the answer, and there is good reason for it. The consumables are dirt-cheap. If you blow an engine, you can pick one up for less than a car payment on a 718.

I put about 40 track weekends on my 981 before I decided to get serious and bought a dedicated race car. If you're just planning to use it at the track, you can pick up a fully-prepped (roll cage, fire suppression, lots of track goodies) race car for a lot less than a 981.

I ended up with a BMW E36. I wasn't really looking for a BMW, but it was a $12K ready-to-go-racing deal that kind of just fell in my lap. There are deals to be had out there. Lots of people getting out of racing or moving to different cars, so there are always track cars out there that you can get for a fraction of the cost of building one yourself, and they are safer than a street car.

Some are street legal as well. Mine was when we bought it. It's not now since we pulled the cats.

· Registered
2014 Cayman S
10 Posts
So my family and I are getting into amateur tracking and autocross. I own a 22 Cayman S, but I want a second, less-expensive car that I'm willing to punish a bit.

For a starter track toy, does it matter whether I start with Cayman S or Boxster S?

It seems like 981 Boxsters are much easier to come by, so I lean that direction.

But should I be patient and wait for a Cayman? It seems like for safety and future competition requirements it's the better choice.

I don't know what I don't know at this point, so I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thanks!
if you are just starting out, it is better to learn on an older (cheaper car). Things are a lot different on the track than even the best of twisties. Both POC and PCA have great instructors that can help you with becoming a better driver.

· Registered
22 Posts

My 2014 Boxster S has been a blast on the track. I run every event with the top down. Daytona was by far one of the coolest experiences so far... 158 mph and able to look totally around you. Only modifications are: stainless break lines, motul brake fluid, hawk DTC pads, coil heat shields, track alignment and nankang CRS tires. Its been a blast. Also use it for AutoX. Have run at Homestead, PBIR, Daytona and Sebring without issues always topless. Cayman will likely be safer so it depends on how serious/how often you will go.

· Registered
295 Posts
I have a 14 BS MT with X73, ECU tweak, Soul catless headers, Brombacher sport muffler, Numeric shifter and comp cables, race pads and brake fluid and DOT race tires for track use. My usage is both PCA track days and street.

A Cayman would have been a better choice for more dangerous wheel-to-wheel racing—-somewhat stiffer chassis, more amenable to safety upgrades like cage, race seat, HANS and 6-point belts, more “outside intrusion’ protection—but the Boxster is fine for much safer PCA track days. The joy of top down street driving is important, especially to my family. I am very happy with my choice for PCA track days and street use.

· Registered
22 Posts
I have a 14 BS MT with X73, ECU tweak, Soul catless headers, Brombacher sport muffler, Numeric shifter and comp cables, race pads and brake fluid and DOT race tires for track use. My usage is both PCA track days and street.

A Cayman would have been a better choice for more dangerous wheel-to-wheel racing—-somewhat stiffer chassis, more amenable to safety upgrades like cage, race seat, HANS and 6-point belts, more “outside intrusion’ protection—but the Boxster is fine for much safer PCA track days. The joy of top down street driving is important, especially to my family. I am very happy with my choice for PCA track days and street use.
How many track days have you done with this setup? Can you shed any light to the improvements on the straight aways relative to the older GT4's and older 911's? Any regrets about tuning or making the exhaust changes?

· Registered
295 Posts
This is a brilliant car. I have done maybe 10-12 DE weekends. The ECU tweek (Softronic) greatly improved torque in the 4-6500RPM range, where on-track cars spend much of their time. HP is in the 375-380 range. It pulls very strongly against the older GT4s and 911s. X73 is very well balanced and predictable through corners of all speeds, and the exhaust setup is OK in downtown Minneapolis below 3000 and a joy anywhere else above 3000 RPM. I will keep this ‘’forever.’

· Registered
22 Posts
This is a brilliant car. I have done maybe 10-12 DE weekends. The ECU tweek (Softronic) greatly improved torque in the 4-6500RPM range, where on-track cars spend much of their time. HP is in the 375-380 range. It pulls very strongly against the older GT4s and 911s. X73 is very well balanced and predictable through corners of all speeds, and the exhaust setup is OK in downtown Minneapolis below 3000 and a joy anywhere else above 3000 RPM. I will keep this ‘’forever.’
So you pull faster than the older GT4's on the straights? Or you hang with them pretty well? Great info thank you!

· Registered
295 Posts
Yes I do, especially with 93 10% ethanol (the secret elixir; don’t tell).

Max negative camber F-R is 1.9/ 2.2. There are more aggressive settings available, but this is a good balance for street wear/ track cornering bite, amenable to a broad range of DOT race tires. Simple, a great virtue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts