1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Nice. Love the ducktail.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Whoa!! So they're actually gonna do the tent thing again eh?

I should probably be happy about this. Sour grapes and all. ;)

Reactions: Odo

·
Registered
966 Posts
Anyone know where these pictures were taken? Outside Las Vegas maybe? Actually looks like car is wearing 2 convertible tops at once... are those bigger brakes too?
The blue pedestrian sign and the yellow turn mark on the road make me think this is not inside the US. Also the "give way to pedestrians" seems somewhat unusual verbiage for US street sign. And the EU license plate in the first pic ...

What in the world could that Cayman prototype be? :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone know where these pictures were taken? Outside Las Vegas maybe? Actually looks like car is wearing 2 convertible tops at once... are those bigger brakes too?

Hi there, these pics were taken in Cape Town, South Africa! Table Mountain in the background and about 15 min drive from where I stay. This has given me a slight distraction from my GT4 dilemma;) It does look like two tops...I really never thought they would bring back the same looking Spyder roof....but this time it looks like it's going to be a fully electric mechanism. Interesting times ahead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, nice find!

If this is your first time posting them, I'd make sure to get some credit for them. There are organizations that will pay for spy shots like this.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I probably deviate from the collective's opinion and flame suit is at the ready but ... I do not want a spyder ... just a high performance flavour of the rag top thank you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi there, these pics were taken in Cape Town, South Africa! Table Mountain in the background and about 15 min drive from where I stay. This has given me a slight distraction from my GT4 dilemma;) It does look like two tops...I really never thought they would bring back the same looking Spyder roof....but this time it looks like it's going to be a fully electric mechanism. Interesting times ahead.

Great shots. This is a significant scoop. It looks like the tail lights might be reshaped like the 987.2 models, as well.

JOE987: I'm curious why you think this top is electric and not a manual top like the previous model.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It does look like two tops...I really never thought they would bring back the same looking Spyder roof....but this time it looks like it's going to be a fully electric mechanism. Interesting times ahead.
I'm not sure why this seems any different from the original to you. Didn't the original also have two pieces to it, just like this? Like... EXACTLY like this even??

·
Registered
966 Posts
I probably deviate from the collective's opinion and flame suit is at the ready but ... I do not want a spyder ... just a high performance flavour of the rag top thank you.
I think the double-hump backlid on the original spyder was super-cool. With the top-down, the Spyder looked great. With the top up, it looked a little silly. Although compared to the 987 Boxster, with its awkward rear window angle, it looked better. But the 981 Boxster top is really well-proportioned, and I personallyh don’t think this 981 prototype with the Spyder-like top looks better than a regular 981 Boxster...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I respect your right to have, and express a different opinion. I think spyders are fugly and a pain in the southern hemisphere. :cheers:

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
966 Posts
Actually, I’m mostly agreeing with you. I don’t think the Spyder roof in these pictures look good on the 981. I think the normal top looks better.

987, different story...

:cheers:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Cayman in front is a prototype of the facelifted 2016 car. The number plates are from the porsche factory.
The Boxster on the picture is the Spyder 100% sure.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
To be honest it almost looks like a spyder top pulled over a regular rag top -- but I'm viewing from my phone and I have 56 year old eyes so not exactly reliable. :cry: that said, the rear deck appears very spyder shaped.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts