Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any thoughts on the look of a 981 with a carbon fiber hood, ala the 911 GT2 RS look? I always liked this look, just not sure on the 981. Feedback welcomed!

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
The real CF hood on a GT2RS is quite glossy, not like the photo you include. Not saying that's not the real thing, but I've seen one up close and personal and it's as glossy as the paint (I saw a black over black GT2RS). I am also not a fan of the contrast between say silver and black hood, white and black hood. I much prefer the look on a black car. Of course, that's totally a personal aesthetic thing.
Unlike the older 997/987 hoods, I don't think the 981 hood is anything like the 991 hood, so you would have to get a custom made CF hood for your 981 BGTS.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Why not just get it wrapped in black? If you don't like it, you can just peal it off. That would be inexpensive and easy.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If you are considering this as a weight saving mod you are going to be very disappointed because the weight savings is minimal because your existing bonnet is aluminum. If you are doing it as a pure cosmetic mod it just comes down to taste preference. If it is for looks it would be a lot less money just to wrap your current bonnet in carbon fiber wrap.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The real CF hood on a GT2RS is quite glossy, not like the photo you include. Not saying that's not the real thing, but I've seen one up close and personal and it's as glossy as the paint (I saw a black over black GT2RS).
Hmm...I've seen more than one GT2RS in person and they definitely had Matte CF bits, including the hood and side vents. Exactly like this picture here:

http://media.caranddriver.com/image...er-hood-and-badge-photo-367684-s-1280x782.jpg

It's possible that someone could take Matte CF, and polish it to a glossy shine, or get it re clear coated.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It's okay, prefer it more on a black car. It's cheap to wrap it in vinyl, do that first to see if you like it, if you do, spend more to get the real CF hood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts