Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away from the Porsche family for the last few years and am thinking of rejoining by buying a 2015 or 2016 Cayman GTS. I used to have a 2007 Cayman S that I ran at a few HPDEs and I was starting to get to the experience level where I was starting to have braking issues with my car toward the end of sessions. My rear calipers were starting to turn a little dark and I knew I was going to have to start looking at some cooling or something.

Also sometimes toward the end of sessions my pedal would start getting a little soft. I was running ATE blue and was going to switch to Motul. I was thinking I wasn't boiling anything because once the brakes cooled things firmed back up and the couple of times I tried bleeding I wouldn't get any bubbles.

If I go the GTS route, what concerns should I have with brake cooling? Searches here so far seem to have a couple of different solutions, but there is some conflicting info. What has been the best and latest solutions. I've read about Turbo brake ducts and GT3 brake ducts. What's been experiences of those that have been actually running these cars?

Lastly, with me being focused on brakes in this thread is there something else that I'm overlooking? Is there something else I need to consider to try and make the car more HPDE ready? I'm pretty much decided that I want a car with PDK. Two of the cars I'm looking at have the sport suspension and PTV (which from my search seems to possibly contribute to rear brake heat). If I could find a PASM car I would like that as I had it in my 987 and liked how it made the car truly the best of both worlds. Anything else I need to consider or look for?

Anyone's experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
For the fluid, you can go with RBF660 or take it up to Castrol SRF. Once you do the latter, you can't really go back because it's some kind of synthetic silicone compound. I use it in the Audi now.

PDK is fantastic on track, even without sports chrono. It's always in the right gear. It also makes the most of the NA motor, which is often outgunned when there are 500HP+ turbo cars all around you.

I am finding Pagid Yellow RS29 is working well with stock brakes. Tons of bite. Just be sure to do a cool down lap. If you're worried about brake temps on stock rotors, don't over tire the car. I ran on 225 front 245 rear in 18" Cup2, mostly to learn the platform rather than throw tire at my errors.

I would avoid PASM if you want to play around with the suspension. There are much better dampers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The GTS has nice brake duct standard so no need to upgrade there.
Have you been using race pads or stock pads. If stock pads, then expect to fade during a session if you are going fast enough.

If you run with PSM off, your rear brakes will be cooler ( but you need the experience to run without the nannies on).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good questions. I recently took my 981 CS with standard brakes to VIR for a CHIN Track Day event. I had some concerns with the amount of heat the brakes generated but the general performance was good. Prior to the event I changed to Castrol SRF and after each run I performed an extensive cool down. With that said I have now changed the pads to Pagid Yellow in front and Pagid Black in the rear with titanium shims front and rear. I have also changed out the stock rotors to solid 350mm GiroDisks in the front and solid 325mm Girodisks in the rear. I'm looking forward to testing this setup at Road Atlanta in August.

Additionally I would suggest you consider adding safety features such as racing seats, harnesses and cage for the your track day events.

Enjoy, the Cayman is terrific fun at the track.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I've only done a few track days with my '15 CGTS. I routinely run Torque brake fluid (though other high temp fluids -- as mentioned above should work).
I also use PAGID pads and have not experienced anything that looks like brakes overheating. Last event, I used titanium shims in the rear.. couldn't tell if there was any improvement but it didn't hurt. Frankly, I think driving style can influence overusing brakes more than anything... and my "style" is "85% and have fun", so I'm not pushing it "too hard". All that, with PSM engaged also, so brake fade at all.
FWIW.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Fresh quality brake fluid (I run Motul 600) and hi temp pads should get you there. Hawk and Pagid are popular brands for DEs. I prefer Raybestos ST-43 pads which are a full racing compound but feel great and last a very long time.

Any time you feel the brake pedal getting soft, do a quick brake bleed in the pits to purge any air bubbles that may have formed. We run AAA Speedway Fontana which is very hard on brakes. By day 2 we often need to do a quick 30 min. brake bleed to get back to 100% pedal firmness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.