Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my first Porsche, 2015 Cayman, and as I wait for her to be built I am thinking about the required tools needed to change the Oil & Filter. In reviewing many of the other threads on this subject (thank you everyone), I see that it will be difficult without raising the rear end a little.

Thus my question to those of you who have experience in this task: Is it easier to use the drive on ramps (Rhino Ramps) or to use a hydraulic jack and Jack stands?

My level of owner maintenance will be limited to changing the Oil, Oil Filter, Air filter, Cabin filter, etc.... the easy stuff. All the rest I will leave to the professionals. I change the oil & filters in my current vehicles, yet do not need to raise them to reach the oil drain plug or oil filter. So I will need to invest in some additional tools and maybe a Durametric cable to reset the service indicator light.

Thanks in advance for your insight..... Ramps or Jacks ??

Registered
I use both. I back-up the ramps then use two floor jacks (after the initial drain is well underweight) to level the car to get more complete draining of the sump. If you have a sloped drive its not as much of an issue.

Registered
Ramps that are not constructed out of metal as in the case of Rhino ramps are not my favorite. I speak from experience as I own a set of these rampsHere is why: The 981 rear tires are as wide or slightly wider than the average tires that the ramps were designed for. This means that it is pretty easy for the larger and sticker tires to pull the ramp under the car when backing up on to it. If you have a car with X-73 as I do the clearance is very tight. It will work, but you need to be careful.

Registered
Ramps are fine and much more convenient to use. Just have a spotter if you are worried.

Premium Member
Ramps that are not constructed out of metal as in the case of Rhino ramps are not my favorite. I speak from experience as I own a set of these rampsHere is why: The 981 rear tires are as wide or slightly wider than the average tires that the ramps were designed for. This means that it is pretty easy for the larger and sticker tires to pull the ramp under the car when backing up on to it. If you have a car with X-73 as I do the clearance is very tight. It will work, but you need to be careful.
So your Rhino Ramps work OK in the back, even with X73? I have a set, but haven't tried them yet with my BGTS w/ X73. I was thinking I might have to get the Race Ramps. For sure I will need them if I ever want to lift the front.

Just ordered my first Porsche, 2015 Cayman, and as I wait for her to be built I am thinking about the required tools needed to change the Oil & Filter. In reviewing many of the other threads on this subject (thank you everyone), I see that it will be difficult without raising the rear end a little.

Thus my question to those of you who have experience in this task: Is it easier to use the drive on ramps (Rhino Ramps) or to use a hydraulic jack and Jack stands?

My level of owner maintenance will be limited to changing the Oil, Oil Filter, Air filter, Cabin filter, etc.... the easy stuff. All the rest I will leave to the professionals. I change the oil & filters in my current vehicles, yet do not need to raise them to reach the oil drain plug or oil filter. So I will need to invest in some additional tools and maybe a Durametric cable to reset the service indicator light.

Thanks in advance for your insight..... Ramps or Jacks ??
Ramps are fine and much more convenient to use. Just have a spotter if you are worried.
I have a set of Rhino Ramps that I used to change the oil on my 987S. I have a moderately sloped driveway. I would back out of the garage, and onto the ramps. This would leave the car nearly level, with plenty of room to work underneath. Backing up onto the ramps is a little hairy, you will definitely want a spotter. The ramps are very strong, I have no concern about that.

Registered
Correct. I use Rhino ramps on a flat surface with no other aids. I have only used them on the rear and have not tried the front. X-73 makes it a very close fit, however not bottoming out is occurring here.

So your Rhino Ramps work OK in the back, even with X73? I have a set, but haven't tried them yet with my BGTS w/ X73. I was thinking I might have to get the Race Ramps. For sure I will need them if I ever want to lift the front.

I have a set of Rhino Ramps that I used to change the oil on my 987S. I have a moderately sloped driveway. I would back out of the garage, and onto the ramps. This would leave the car nearly level, with plenty of room to work underneath. Backing up onto the ramps is a little hairy, you will definitely want a spotter. The ramps are very strong, I have no concern about that.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for your input! I see mention of "Race Ramps".... In searching on the internet, it appears that these Race Ramps are similar to the Rhino Ramps, yet with a longer sloped section, and maybe a higher tire stop (I can't really tell).

Can anyone confirm the difference? Are the Race Ramps much better than the Rhino Ramps?

Thanks again. :thanks:

Registered
Thanks to all for your input! I see mention of "Race Ramps".... In searching on the internet, it appears that these Race Ramps are similar to the Rhino Ramps, yet with a longer sloped section, and maybe a higher tire stop (I can't really tell).

Can anyone confirm the difference? Are the Race Ramps much better than the Rhino Ramps?

Better? Probably. More expensive? Definitely (especially including shipping). Worth it? Doubt it - especially if you've already got Rhinos.
One way Race Ramps are marginally better is the lesser slope makes it easier to drive up them. Probably you will need very little throttle. Therefore less likely to slip/slide or overshoot the stop.
As said - you can effectively make Rhinos the same (reduce the initial slope) with a little bit of lumber.

Premium Member

I have Rhinos, but I would say the Race Ramps are better in a few ways: they are solid, where the Rhinos are not, they have a flatter slope, and they are light (much lighter than wooden ramps). As RSchwerer states, they are much more expensive. But they appear to be a good product. Rhino Ramps are not an option if you want to lift the front of your car, especially if you have X-73. It would take a pretty good amount of time and lumber to make them work for this application. The Rhinos are fine for lifting the rear.

Registered
I have an X-73 Cayman S. The Rhinos work actually pretty well. No lumber is needed on a flat surface. No scraping. All good.

I have Rhinos, but I would say the Race Ramps are better in a few ways: they are solid, where the Rhinos are not, they have a flatter slope, and they are light (much lighter than wooden ramps). As RSchwerer states, they are much more expensive. But they appear to be a good product. Rhino Ramps are not an option if you want to lift the front of your car, especially if you have X-73. It would take a pretty good amount of time and lumber to make them work for this application. The Rhinos are fine for lifting the rear.

Premium Member
I have an X-73 Cayman S. The Rhinos work actually pretty well. No lumber is needed on a flat surface. No scraping. All good.
You're talking about the rear, right? My post that you quoted was also talking about the front, for which the Rhinos definitely would not work with my car.

Registered
Sorry about that. Yes I am speaking about the rear of the car. I have not tired to raise the front since the engine is in the other end.

You're talking about the rear, right? My post that you quoted was also talking about the front, for which the Rhinos definitely would not work with my car.

Registered
The issue with these lightweight platic ramps is not whether you need a spotter or not. The issue is that if you drive up them with the drive wheels, especially with wide soft/sticky tires it s very easy for the tire to grab the lightweight ramp and pull it under the center of the car while attempting to drive slowly up them. The key seems to bethat you need to aproach them from a few feet away and have some momemtem so that you can have your foot off the accerator pedal by the time you are rolling up.

The ramps do not stick to the ground very well but they certain will stick to your tires has anyone else experiened this happening?

[email protected];898061]Here's a good way to keep from overshooting service ramps when you don't have a spotter to help guide you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwP3AbQBeJk[/QUOTE]

Registered
Race Ramps have a large rough surface area in contact with the pavement. They don't slide out from under the drive wheels like 2x10s or hollow plastic ramps. You can find a lot of videos on YouTube with people struggling with the hollow ramps or damaging their cars when using wooden ramps to get their car into a trailer. Safety minded DIYers choose Race Ramps.

Premium Member
The issue with these lightweight platic ramps is not whether you need a spotter or not. The issue is that if you drive up them with the drive wheels, especially with wide soft/sticky tires it s very easy for the tire to grab the lightweight ramp and pull it under the center of the car while attempting to drive slowly up them. The key seems to bethat you need to aproach them from a few feet away and have some momemtem so that you can have your foot off the accerator pedal by the time you are rolling up.

The ramps do not stick to the ground very well but they certain will stick to your tires has anyone else experiened this happening?
I haven't experienced this problem, but I have not used them with the drive wheels. Have you had this happen? It sounds scary.

Registered
I haven't experienced this problem, but I have not used them with the drive wheels. Have you had this happen? It sounds scary.
I've been using Rhino Ramps for 5 yrs and at least 10 oil changes (plus other maintenance) with my 987. I have the wider version so they are a little wider than my tires. I have not had any problem backing up them. They have rubber pads on the bottom that reduce slipping. You just need a small running start - a few inches will do. Maybe more with a manual transmission. It depends on how skillful you are at finessing the clutch.
I suppose it also depends on the floor surface. If your floor has a slippery epoxy finish, you'll need to set the ramps on some anti-skid throw-rug or something similar. My garage floor surface smooth (an old coat of floor paint), but not as slipper as a newer finish.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts