Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to check on one thing. Today when I was actively driving my 14' Cayman S on streets with my friends in Toyota MR-2 behind me, they told me they saw the grey smoke from my exhaust on high revs.

So we stopped and they have revved the engine while standing and there was some grey smoke or something like that and then the piece of cat flew out of exhaust, see

No CEL light shown before and after this.
The questions are:
1. How bad it is for the engine? Can those pieces of cats be sucked back to the engine and result in bore scoring?

2. I believe cat failures are not rare on Porsches, so I assume the dealer would tell me to wait until I get a CEL and then investigate the issue, correct?

Any other suggestions?

The cars is bone stock with PSE.
The issue appeared on Sport+ mode when flooring the gas pedal.
The mileage is currently at 27500 miles (44000km).

Thank you!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had the same problem with my 986 years ago. Dealer replaced the cats under warranty (there were 4 of them!). Made a rattling sound as it spit out honeycomb pieces. Don't know what causes it, but would expect to get CEL's in the future when the O2 sensor starts reading high levels. It's emissions related, so they should cover it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, the dealer confirmed one cat destruction and they will decide if it is going to be replaced under warranty...

Still interested in the fact if that might cause bore scoring...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I don’t think they have a choice. Isn’t the warranty on key emissions parts much longer than the regular car warranty as mandated by law in most places? I want to say it’s 10 years if recall correctly in the US. Not sure if the same in other countries

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I think the cat is still under warranty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t think they have a choice. Isn’t the warranty on key emissions parts much longer than the regular car warranty as mandated by law in most places? I want to say it’s 10 years if recall correctly in the US. Not sure if the same in other countries
The funny thing is that in Russia, extended warranty does not cover cats :)

However, they have replaced it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
You know that is a key different. A US new car warranty includes a 8 year emissions coverage but usually that will be excluded from an extended warranty plan YES but the original manufacturer's warranty still applies. So if your car is say 6-7 years old and the cats fail, the dealer/mfg. would still responsible for the emissions warranty even though the new car warranty ended years before.
I ran into this on my 2004 BS which I bought from Calif. in 2013 with PPI done and me never seeing the car. It was clear of CEL. Past the PPI (not a Porsche dealer or Indy) but after I drove for a few days I got CEL for cats and oxygen sensors. So I started researching it and found that info on the warranty. Unfortunately my purchase was a little too old.
I did manage to get the cats from dismantler with a 6 month warranty and free shipping and it cost me $900 for the pair instead 3x that for new from Porsche. Did have to replace the sensors. Had the car for 3 years and 4 years after that I believe it is still going strong.

Reactions: looklock

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just recently purchased and replaced my header/cat on the driver's side on my 981BS. I had a different issue (crack in the weld). Bought a replacement on eBay for <$250. DIY was easy. If they don't cover yours under warranty, this is an option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just recently purchased and replaced my header/cat on the driver's side on my 981BS. I had a different issue (crack in the weld). Bought a replacement on eBay for <$250. DIY was easy. If they don't cover yours under warranty, this is an option.
Yeah, was thinking about this too, however they did approve the replace under warranty... So they still do replace cats as an exception....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts