Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow Porsche aficionados, it is time for my brake pads and rotors to be replaced on my 2014 Cayman S. I rarely track the car, but I do drive the car at the north GA mountains, pretty aggressively. After a good search and research in the forums, I finally decided to buy brake pads and rotors from FCP Euro. See image. Cost included 3 day shipping so that I can DIY this week and go for a mountain drive.
Brake Pads are PAGID and rotors are SEBRO cross drilled. We will see how this goes. I will update this thread and share my experience once the DIY is complete. I did call FCP Euro before ordering to get their opinion on the best parts to order, the lady who spoke to me had no knowledge of her own. She simply looked at her system and said this is the combination most of their customers ordered. There was no one else who could give me technical details on the parts, the reliability, brake dust or squeak/squeal, performance, road/track etc. So I am taking a chance here, hope it all goes well.
Not really sure if I can track with these rotors and pads. Not sure if I can drive aggressively on the mountains like I previously did on my stock pads and rotors.
All feedback welcome, good or bad.

Product Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
100 Posts
That should work fine for street driving even if somewhat aggressively. However, if you have desires to take it to the track, I would consider the slotted rotors over the drilled. In a track situation, the drilled holes can created uneven temps across the metal and cracks can appear. Of course, the advantage of the drilled is lighter weight so if not tracking that works fine.

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
60 Posts
You can't go wrong with the option you chose for the street. As @PorscheGreg stated, the drilled are not great for the track due to cracking and the holes plugging up with pad material, but you can run them depending on how advanced you are. The faster you go, the more heat and thus, the faster they crack. As for the pads, I've been running them at the track this season and was surprised to get 3 track days out of a set, and since FCP is kind enough to replace them free, it's worked. The downside is swapping pads at the track in 100-degree heat at least once per weekend. I'll likely switch back to RS-29's at the end of this season for that reason.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
905 Posts
+1 on the Sebro slotted rotors for track use. FCPeuro will exchange with a different replacement type if you decide to go that direction later.

Reactions: GotBox

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S GT Silver over expresso
91 Posts
Can someone comment on the quality and performance of OPs parts list relative to OEM parts? I'm trying to get a feel if I can find something with a little more performance then stock when the time comes to replace my current OEM brakes. Thanks in advance. Lou

Reactions: ELCID86

·
Registered
2015 Boxster S Manual
136 Posts
Hello fellow Porsche aficionados, it is time for my brake pads and rotors to be replaced on my 2014 Cayman S. I rarely track the car, but I do drive the car at the north GA mountains, pretty aggressively. After a good search and research in the forums, I finally decided to buy brake pads and rotors from FCP Euro. See image. Cost included 3 day shipping so that I can DIY this week and go for a mountain drive.
Brake Pads are PAGID and rotors are SEBRO cross drilled. We will see how this goes. I will update this thread and share my experience once the DIY is complete. I did call FCP Euro before ordering to get their opinion on the best parts to order, the lady who spoke to me had no knowledge of her own. She simply looked at her system and said this is the combination most of their customers ordered. There was no one else who could give me technical details on the parts, the reliability, brake dust or squeak/squeal, performance, road/track etc. So I am taking a chance here, hope it all goes well.
Not really sure if I can track with these rotors and pads. Not sure if I can drive aggressively on the mountains like I previously did on my stock pads and rotors.
All feedback welcome, good or bad. View attachment 283016
I used Sebro rotors with Textar pads. I don't track, only spirited driving. I notice no difference from OEM. Not sure about longevity though? I have 10,000 miles on these, so far so good. Good luck.

Reactions: ELCID86

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can someone comment on the quality and performance of OPs parts list relative to OEM parts? I'm trying to get a feel if I can find something with a little more performance then stock when the time comes to replace my current OEM brakes. Thanks in advance. Lou
The Sebro's are very solid rotors and they come at a reasonable cost.

In terms of pads, there is such variety that it really depends. Lots of factors: stopping power, cost, dust, noise, durability, cold temp braking, hot temp braking, etc. It's all a compromise and of course most manufacturers produce a full range to accommodate different needs.

Pagid makes good products. Textar is a good way to go if you want OE performance but don't want to buy Porsche branded pads. I have Hawk HPS 5.0 for street use and PFC for track. In my view the Hawks are an improvement over OE in stopping power and dust creation, but they cost more than the OE like Textar. Ferrodo makes excellent pads as well but I don't have experience with them yet. They might be my next track pad.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks! Noting comment on Hawks being an improvement on dust - am I correct on assuming less dust? Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used Sebro rotors with Textar pads. I don't track, only spirited driving. I notice no difference from OEM. Not sure about longevity though? I have 10,000 miles on these, so far so good. Good luck.
My OEM pads lasted for a good long time, 2 separate track days, and several spirited street driving at the north GA mountains, and my normal every day driving. They are well made.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Personally, I'm more interested in performance improvement. Less dust is a bonus. Up until this point, I was thinking EBC yellows but will replace with Hawk 5.0 HPS on my list. Thanks very much for the feedback.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Parts arrived Saturday, finished installing the front rotors and pads. I reused the clipper bolts, cut the brake wear sensors and electric taped them. Pumped the brake pedal several times slowly but firmly, with engine running. Test drove for a very short distance, right out of the garage, I could hear something rubbing (friction sound), but the noise went away later. Will do the rear rotors and pads next week. Thanks for a good discussion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is in response to the use of Ferrodo pads. I have used them on the track. I get 6 track days out of them. They give excellent bite, and I have never experienced fade. I just put a new set on today. The set I currently use are 2500s. Literally, no squeak on roads and brake dust is not bad. You can go more aggressive, but for driving to and from the track, they are good. My track rating is upper intermediate to advanced.

731 Posts
Of course you can, and I would recommend contacting a company that might have a bit more knowledge of these cars than the big parts websites. Hint, hint. :cool:
Dave @ SOUL

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is in response to the use of Ferrodo pads. I have used them on the track. I get 6 track days out of them. They give excellent bite, and I have never experienced fade. I just put a new set on today. The set I currently use are 2500s. Literally, no squeak on roads and brake dust is not bad. You can go more aggressive, but for driving to and from the track, they are good. My track rating is upper intermediate to advanced.
If anyone is interested I have two sets of front/back Hawk Ceramic pads, one has less that 100 miles and the other has never been mounted. $200+shipping. I have no use for them because they need to be warmed up on a track to be fully affective. Salesman from a Hawk wholesaler didn't tell me that. I wouldn't use them on the street unless you want to sacrifice brake feel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If anyone is interested I have two sets of front/back Hawk Ceramic pads, one has less that 100 miles and the other has never been mounted. $200+shipping. I have no use for them because they need to be warmed up on a track to be fully affective. Salesman from a Hawk wholesaler didn't tell me that. I wouldn't use them on the street unless you want to sacrifice brake feel.
Sorry: parts #s rear HB665 Z.577 and front HB719 Z.668

731 Posts
HB665 Z.577
Quick Q, are you feeling that the pads are not giving you the initial bite of the ones you replaced? Did you follow the break-in procedure for the new pads or just put em on and start driving? According to Hawk, these are supposed to provide a good amount of torque from 0-100 degrees, unlike a track pad that does require coming up to temp. These are a street pad, not a track pad.

I have mixed experience with Hawk pads, which is why I'm asking.

Dave @ SOUL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ceramic pads (whether Hawk or another brand) will not have as much “feel” as regular pads. Their advantage tends to be less dust and pad longevity. But from a performance standpoint they are normally a downgrade from metallic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts