Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2014 CS, MT, 19" tires. I've used the original equipment Goodyear Eagle F1's on my last replacements, but I'm wondering about other choices. Are the Porsche N-spec tires really necessary? My mechanic is high on Continental tires in general and I see a Continental ExtremeContact Sport on Tire Rack. Any experience with those? I'll be replacing only the front tires...ok to mix brands (rear are still the Goodyear Eagle F1's)? Appreciate any recommendations as well as experiences on longevity. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I am not tire engineer, I can only offer my opinion.

1. I personally started drinking N-spec juice lately. I switched all 4 tires from OEM to not-N-spec last year and, while the new tire is in EVERY way superior to OEM N-specs, there is just something that doesn't feel right when you really step on it. I cannot even describe it. For some reason it just lacks something the moment after you turn in - not the fake feel of immediacy with slightly harder sidewall, it is not that - I just cannot explain it. It simply feels a bit wrong and you do not trust the car 100%, maybe only 98%. Mind, this only applies on the track or at, what all normal people would call, stupid speeds. I replaced N0 rated Pirelli P-Zeros with not-N-rated Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Also, my current count is 12 tires (8 rears, 4 fronts) bought after the car left dealership new. 4 of those are Michelins, the rest were Pirelli P Zeros - so maybe I just got used to that feel.

2. I personally would not mix the tires, but that is just my opinion. I am sure there is nothing wrong with doing that if you drive like normal people on public roads, but I would rather bite the bullet and replace all 4. Just my opinion. Keep in mind that, for most drivers, the safest solution in mixed tires situation is to have most tread and newest tires on the rear. Keep your nannies on at all times. Especially so if you replace only fronts.

3. Continentals ... I have Extreme Contact DWS06 on my grocery-getter. They are all-season type tire (981s come with summer tires, don't look for those) and I can positively say that I was blown away with those. Stupid grip in cold and warm wet plus in dry - warm and cold. Haven't tried more than dusting of snow as of now. Low noise, no issues with roundness and balancing. YMMV.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My 981BS is a daily driver in Dallas, TX. I had N-spec Goodyear F1's, but the longevity stunk. The previous owner didn't have much luck with them either, having to replace a set at <10K miles due to sidewall cracking. I got about 12K miles out of mine.

I went to non-N-spec Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, and to a non-OEM size 245-275/35R19 as well. I like the look of the car on the lower profile tires, they are loads cheaper, wear much better than the Goodyear F1's, and the performance is comparable, if not superior. I got 26K miles out of the rears and will probably get ~40K out of the fronts, with a few track days sprinkled in (they aren't my normal track tires, but had a couple tires damaged and had to fall back on them). Wet traction has been good, but with nearly 36K on the fronts, the wet traction is starting to fade a bit. The dry traction is still good.

I don't recommend them for track use (or the F1's for that matter). The traction is comparable to the F1's, which is to say not great, especially in the braking zones. I use Nitto NT-01's for track use (also non-N-spec and non-OEM size 245-275/40R18 - on 987 18" rims). Traction on Nittos is night-and-day better on the track, but they are not suitable for non-track use.

I also had some DWS06 that came on the 18" rims when I bought them. I used them for a few months during the winter, and didn't have any issues. Unfortunately, they were destroyed when I dismounted them to put the Nittos on, so didn't get to test the longevity of them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My 2016 CGTS came equipped with the Good Year Eagle F1’s. They lasted almost 18K miles before I replaced them. On the plus side they they lasted relatively long for a summer performance tire and they provided exceptional grip. On the down side they became excessively noisy at about 12K miles and they did not handle expansion joints or any other ” bumps “ in the road well.

I replaced them with Michelin PS4S and they’re much quieter, grip as good as the Eagle F1’s while providing a smoother ride. I currently have ~ 16K miles on the PS4S and tread depth is ~ 4/32 nds all the way around.

It‘s definitely not recommended to to mix brands of tires from front to rear -mothered plenty of info out there on this subject if you do a quick search.

This is with Eagle F1’s- best I’ve gotten from the PS4S was 1.43.

Bottom line I’d recommend switching to PS4S.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S were a profound improvement on my 987.2 Spyder over the stock Michelins. The PS4S are acceptable on the track, but fall slightly short of next step Nito NT01's, imho. (still keep a set of NT01 for that use), and I have done A-B comparison. Highly recommend PS4S and yes, do four of them imho, this is not a Honda Accord.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The PS4S was a nice upgrade to the Pirelli's on car, and even an improvement to the PSS I had on my M3 before changing to these. Feels more responsive in dry and the grip in wet is amazing. For road use, that's my biggest concern.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Feels more responsive in dry and the grip in wet is amazing. For road use, that's my biggest concern.
Agreed, with one caveat. It better be warm. In my experience, Michelins are quite a bit more sensitive to low temperatures, especially so in wet. I know that recommendation is to not use max performance summers below 45 degrees, but I drove them (Pirellis) even in 25 degrees weather, as long as it is dry. Michelins lost front grip easily on 35-38 degrees dry surface.

Just something to be aware of.

That said, the way they grip after a summer thunderstorm ... unbelievable. Might as well be dry. That with almost full tread depth, of course.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2015 CS (bought used) came with Goodyear F1's. Did 2 track days and they were toast with about 19k on them. So really probably not bad for that, and handling was still grippy at VIR later that summer. But after that they went flat 2 times with punctures.

If you have a Costco - you can get N-Spec Michelin PS4s's for 150 bucks off a couple times a year. The tires are meaty, look great, quiet, and are SILLY capable in the Rain and Dry. Cannot wait to see what they will do at a track this fall or just winding through the mountains and foothills this summer.

I really do not think you will find a better tire for our car, you might get a very capable one cheaper, but nothing better.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Another PS4S vote. Switched to these from the P Zero's that came from the factory. Great tire for summer driving and I believe these are generally considered the best street use summer tire currently on the market.

·
Registered
19 Posts
... N-Spec Michelin PS4s's .... Cannot wait to see what they will do at a track this fall or just winding through the mountains and foothills this summer.
imho PS4s won't embarrass you but i would never confuse or substitute PS4s for a track tire. A few laps on NT01 would settle that in ten minutes. I don't anticipate testing ps4s near their deep adhesion limits on the street. I believe they are great for what most of will ever ask of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
imho PS4s won't embarrass you but i would never confuse or substitute PS4s for a track tire. A few laps on NT01 would settle that in ten minutes. I don't anticipate testing ps4s near their deep adhesion limits on the street. I believe they are great for what most of will ever ask of them.
i agree. last year i picked up a 981s and with 20 inch wheels, mounted re71r rubber. while they were good tires, by end of session they felt a little loose. i longed for nt01s. loved them on m 987s. i am having nt01s mounted on 18 inch titan 7 forged wheels for this season. i have not tried the ps4s yet, but it would be a good rain tire for track. r888r are another option, but i like the nt01 better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i agree. last year i picked up a 981s and with 20 inch wheels, mounted re71r rubber. while they were good tires, by end of session they felt a little loose. i longed for nt01s. loved them on m 987s. i am having nt01s mounted on 18 inch titan 7 forged wheels for this season. i have not tried the ps4s yet, but it would be a good rain tire for track. r888r are another option, but i like the nt01 better.
We've now entered into Intel vs AMD territory here. I'm on my 4th set of RE-71Rs for the track and love them. Some people swear by NT01, some by RE-71R. They're in the same category and I think it's personal preference in terms of how they wear.

That said, the OP wasn't asking about track tires. I'm still on my original factory PZeros (2017 CS) for the street but plan to replace them with PS4S when they go to tire heaven. The PZeros do have pretty decent grip for the street. Honestly, if you're getting tires for the street then there are a lot of factors that drive your decision. Do you live in an area where it gets below 40 in the winter? Do you want to drive it in those conditions (even without ice/snow)? Are you more worried about warm dry, warm wet, or both? Max grip or max comfort or a mix of those plus longevity? These are largely specific to the individual driver's preference and situation. TireRack is a great resource for considering the tradeoffs as they describe wet vs dry traction, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We've now entered into Intel vs AMD territory here. I'm on my 4th set of RE-71Rs for the track and love them. Some people swear by NT01, some by RE-71R. They're in the same category and I think it's personal preference in terms of how they wear.

That said, the OP wasn't asking about track tires. I'm still on my original factory PZeros (2017 CS) for the street but plan to replace them with PS4S when they go to tire heaven. The PZeros do have pretty decent grip for the street. Honestly, if you're getting tires for the street then there are a lot of factors that drive your decision. Do you live in an area where it gets below 40 in the winter? Do you want to drive it in those conditions (even without ice/snow)? Are you more worried about warm dry, warm wet, or both? Max grip or max comfort or a mix of those plus longevity? These are largely specific to the individual driver's preference and situation. TireRack is a great resource for considering the tradeoffs as they describe wet vs dry traction, etc.
true. and i did like the re71r for road and rain, and rain on track. i am thinking i will try a ps4s set, as i liked the prior versions. from what i understand they are great in all but mud and snow :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Indeed - not meant to imply they are track tires,,, but probably more fun that 3-4 year old F1's that I first had on it, that's all.. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Last fall I switched from my 2 1/2 set of Goodyear Eagle F1s on my 2014 CS w/20” wheels to PS4S. Purchased at Costco during one of those good sales ?. Unfortunately winter weather hasn’t allowed me to get more than a few hundred miles on them but so far I agree with what everyone else has said about the differences (and had the same experience with the F1s). So far I’m in love... and it helps my peace of mind that Costco gives a 30k mile warranty on them. Have previously kept the CS in the garage when rain threatens but looking forward to having more confidence in the tires during summer in CO.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Another up-vote for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I believe they are made in N-spec and non-N-spec and that there is a very slight tread width difference between the two!

And another up-vote for Costco. Costco (at least over here) runs deals on either Michelin or some other brand. Each month switches between the two. So you might have to wait a month. Also, you can call your local Costco tire center and have them order the tires if they are not in stock. It's likely they are not in stock; in fact it's likely they won't have anything in stock that fits both front and back.

TireRack.com is a great place for reviews and — see paragraph above — you can find the Michelins you like at TireRack.com and then call your local Costco tire center and order them. Then you just pop in the next week when they are delivered to the tire center.

One slightly tricky one... if you have a nail in a tire and want Costco to repair it, you could be stuck if, after dismounting the tire, Costco determines that the tire can't be safely repaired. The trick here is to call ahead by a few days and have Costco order the replacement tire so that it is on-hand in case you need to have a new tire. I managed to have Costco order the tire, but then send the tire back (free of charge to me) when my existing tire was successfully repaired.

I don't know what the 981s do for TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system), but your 2014 TPMS sensors are 6 years old. If you had a 987.1 I'd suggest you find 3rd-party replacement sensors. Easiest to switch the sensors during tire change.

Finally, I think it's a general truism that old tires are noisier and rougher than new tires. So, you'll notice an enormous comfort improvement with any new tires. That said, the Pilots are remarkably better than others I've tried.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Regarding the TPMS sensors, I found OEM 400mghz Huf sensors online for $125 for 4. Has any one used the Michelin pilot sport all season 3+?

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
true. and i did like the re71r for road and rain, and rain on track. i am thinking i will try a ps4s set, as i liked the prior versions. from what i understand they are great in all but mud and snow :)
I went from RE71R to PS4s and they are nicer riding and quieter BUT no where's near the grip. The first AX I did I lost the tail of the car right away and I was "what the …" never had that happen with RE71R. PZ4 that came on the car were amazingly good also. I think better traction than PS4s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 981BS is a daily driver in Dallas, TX. I had N-spec Goodyear F1's, but the longevity stunk. The previous owner didn't have much luck with them either, having to replace a set at <10K miles due to sidewall cracking. I got about 12K miles out of mine.

I went to non-N-spec Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, and to a non-OEM size 245-275/35R19 as well. I like the look of the car on the lower profile tires, they are loads cheaper, wear much better than the Goodyear F1's, and the performance is comparable, if not superior. I got 26K miles out of the rears and will probably get ~40K out of the fronts, with a few track days sprinkled in (they aren't my normal track tires, but had a couple tires damaged and had to fall back on them). Wet traction has been good, but with nearly 36K on the fronts, the wet traction is starting to fade a bit. The dry traction is still good.

I don't recommend them for track use (or the F1's for that matter). The traction is comparable to the F1's, which is to say not great, especially in the braking zones. I use Nitto NT-01's for track use (also non-N-spec and non-OEM size 245-275/40R18 - on 987 18" rims). Traction on Nittos is night-and-day better on the track, but they are not suitable for non-track use.

I also had some DWS06 that came on the 18" rims when I bought them. I used them for a few months during the winter, and didn't have any issues. Unfortunately, they were destroyed when I dismounted them to put the Nittos on, so didn't get to test the longevity of them.
My buddy been looking for a good new set to replace the GY F1 on his 981BS. I'll come over tomorrow to help him install the exhaust and cold air intake kits on his truck. He mentioned trying the nearby track so NT-01 seems a good choice, besides for he got a short distance work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts