Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I haven't seen anything done for the 981 Cayman yet, I'm going to attempt to design my own clear cover. After removing the interior trim and engine hatch, I fired up my trusty 3D laser scanner and scanned the engine bay:

20180330_082732.jpg 20180330_082719.jpg

The chassis and plastic trim around the engine bay have quite complex shapes to them, so it'll be difficult designing something that works well. I also want to seal off the engine bay from the cabin, unlike some of the kits I see for the 987. I have a feeling that this will be an expensive project! Here is another view of the engine bay:

20180330_083513.jpg

I'll keep this thread updated!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Since I haven't seen anything done for the 981 Cayman yet, I'm going to attempt to design my own clear cover. After removing the interior trim and engine hatch, I fired up my trusty 3D laser scanner and scanned the engine bay:

View attachment 191713 View attachment 191721

The chassis and plastic trim around the engine bay have quite complex shapes to them, so it'll be difficult designing something that works well. I also want to seal off the engine bay from the cabin, unlike some of the kits I see for the 987. I have a feeling that this will be an expensive project! Here is another view of the engine bay:

View attachment 191729

I'll keep this thread updated!
Awesome project! glad someone is doing this. I'd be down to buy one once you feel you got a good prototype. I heard engine heat and excessive level of noise could be an issue, do you have a plan to address?

Also, found a shot of the 9A1 engine bay painted a bit vs. all black OEM. This person did a good job painting the right pieces to dress it up I think. Showing the all black plastic look engine as is might not be worth it.

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 6.57.52 PM.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome project! glad someone is doing this. I'd be down to buy one once you feel you got a good prototype. I heard engine heat and excessive level of noise could be an issue, do you have a plan to address?

Also, found a shot of the 9A1 engine bay painted a bit vs. all black OEM. This person did a good job painting the right pieces to dress it up I think. Showing the all black plastic look engine as is might not be worth it.

View attachment 191753
The 981 engine definitely needs a bit of sprucing up, but first things first - gotta make a clear cover, then I can work on making the engine look nicer. I really like those red accents on the Porsche plates, and will probably do that to my engine.

I've run the car without any cover over the engine, and it's definitely too loud. That plus the heat motivate me to seal off the engine bay as best as I can. It's going to be difficult because the engine bay opening is highly curved and packaging gets tight towards the front of the engine bay (above the accessory belts).

Heat and noise can't be much different than in a 987, so hopefully it'll be ok in the 981 too.

On the plus side, while driving with no cover on I kept a carbon monoxide meter in the cabin and it registered 0.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Good luck OP!! I always wanted one for my 981.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Wow fantastic project! I would be very curious to see the end result! On another note I always found Porsche motors are just about the ugliest looking motors on the planet lol. Maybe that is why they do their darndest to hide it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! It looks like the pressure is on to make something worthwhile. Here are a few more shots of the 981 engine bay while I work on processing my 3D scan:

20180401_162244.jpg 20180401_162145.jpg 20180330_083549.jpg 20180401_164057.jpg

Let me know if I'm shrinking the photos too small.

While I agree that the stock Porsche engine isn't a pretty sight compared to a Ferrari engine, I think that if Porsche knew that the engine would be visible, they would have added a cosmetic engine cover like many other companies out there such as BMW, MB, etc. Remove the cosmetic cover from a BMW engine, and suddenly it's not so hot looking.

I'll share the results of my 3D scans soon.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! It looks like the pressure is on to make something worthwhile. Here are a few more shots of the 981 engine bay while I work on processing my 3D scan:

View attachment 191817 View attachment 191825 View attachment 191833 View attachment 191841

Let me know if I'm shrinking the photos too small.

While I agree that the stock Porsche engine isn't a pretty sight compared to a Ferrari engine, I think that if Porsche knew that the engine would be visible, they would have added a cosmetic engine cover like many other companies out there such as BMW, MB, etc. Remove the cosmetic cover from a BMW engine, and suddenly it's not so hot looking.

I'll share the results of my 3D scans soon.
I have a 4k monitor so for me personally I love big sized pictures. Allows me to see the detail much better. If I would have my way I would recommend a little bit larger pics :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Interested as well. OK I'm sure this is probably a dumb question, but why didn't you scan the cover instead of the engine bay?

Also, would it be possible to buy another engine cover, cut out the middle part and somehow bond or attach the clear cover to the metal flange? That's assuming the flange would be dimensionally stable enough to maintain it's shape with most of the middle cut out, and that the cover itself doen't have significant curvature in two directions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interested as well. OK I'm sure this is probably a dumb question, but why didn't you scan the cover instead of the engine bay?

Also, would it be possible to buy another engine cover, cut out the middle part and somehow bond or attach the clear cover to the metal flange? That's assuming the flange would be dimensionally stable enough to maintain it's shape with most of the middle cut out, and that the cover itself doen't have significant curvature in two directions.
Good question! The clear cover will need to sit flush with the plastic trim, otherwise it won't look integrated with the car's interior. Unfortunately the metal engine cover is highly curved and recessed below the trim. The stock carpet that covers the metal cover is thickly padded, with varying thickness to conform to the contours of the sheet metal below it. You can get a sense of the amount of curvature and distance between the sheet metal and the plastic trim in this photo:

20180330_082732.jpg

Here is another view of the metal engine cover, showing how curved it is:

20180401_164101.jpg

It would have been nice to use a modified engine cover to hold onto the clear engine cover, but it would make access to the mounting screws impossible plus be very expensive. I assume that the cost of a replacement metal engine cover would be the same as the cost of the rest of the project.

(PS. I'll make the photos a bit larger from now on.)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very cool idea. I have my doubts about the feasability just because of the significance of the curvature and the thickness of the sound dampening and heat protection Porsche felt inclined to put on there, as anyone who has had the thing off probably noticed, but I think it is a neat idea if it can be made to work. My understanding is the 981 cover is much more complicated (to remove, certainly) than 987 even with the same engine underneath.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not confident about the feasibility either, but there's only one way to find out. The fact that HIP Designs looked into it and abandoned the idea is also a warning sign. This is probably going to end up expensive.

I haven't tried to remove the engine cover from my 987 yet, but I heard that it's very easy to do. The 981 on the other hand, requires almost all of the plastic trim pieces in the back to be removed. Fortunately, the trim pieces aren't hard to remove (some can be removed by hand without any pry bars) and they're designed intelligently to not break during removal.

The 981 certainly has a ton of insulation between the engine and the cabin. The metal engine cover has about 3/8 of an inch of insulation on its bottom side, then there's also foam insulation between the metal cover and the top carpet that varies from 1/8 to almost 4 inches thick.

I've driven my car for a few months without the top carpet on. While the exposed metal cover gets luke warm, I haven't noticed any heat reaching me in the driver's seat. Hopefully this remains the case with a clear cover.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good luck with the project. My wife’s car gets a lot of attention and compliments because of the clear cover. We get asked by 981 owners all the time where they can get one for their car.

IMG_0815.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Good luck with the project. My wife’s car gets a lot of attention and compliments because of the clear cover. We get asked by 981 owners all the time where they can get one for their car.

View attachment 191913

Hmmm, that actually looks pretty good, but it seems that both the engine and cover would be a nightmare to keep clean unless you only drive it on clean dry roads. Even then, I'd assume you'd have to clean it at least every couple of months.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm, that actually looks pretty good, but it seems that both the engine and cover would be a nightmare to keep clean unless you only drive it on clean dry roads. Even then, I'd assume you'd have to clean it at least every couple of months.
The clear cover can be removed quite easily by removing some screws, so access for cleaning shouldn't be an issue. It will require occasional cleaning to look good in any case.

That said, the photos of my exposed engine (that I posted earlier in this thread) show how dirty it gets after 3-4 years of neglect. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I think that cleaning/dusting the engine every couple months should be enough.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The clear cover can be removed quite easily by removing some screws, so access for cleaning shouldn't be an issue. It will require occasional cleaning to look good in any case.

That said, the photos of my exposed engine (that I posted earlier in this thread) show how dirty it gets after 3-4 years of neglect. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I think that cleaning/dusting the engine every couple months should be enough.
In that case, painting the engine cover opaque black would hide any dirt and eliminate the need for cleaning altogether. :)

In all seriousness, I wonder if Ferrari designs their engine compartments to eliminate dust/dirt perhaps through filters or aerodynamics. Then again, Ferrari owners don't actually drive their cars so it's probably a moot point. I have always kept my engines as clean as possible (front engine cars), but I could never get them as clean as new. It's especially hard with white cars where the white paint of the engine compartment shows. It's impossible to keep that clean. As much as I dislike not being able to see the engine of my Porsche, I really like that I don't have to look at the engine compartments of my BMW and Mini unless I want to.

Sounds like a fun and impressive project nonetheless...

Found this (some people do drive their Ferraris):
https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/cleaning-458-engine-compartment.372391/

Reactions: Machog

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is my wife’s weekend toy (so it always stays clean, as I want a happy wife). Her daily driver is a C7 Corvette Z51 which also always stays clean.

Seriously, it does stay pretty clean as it’s not driven daily or in the rain. Plus, it’s worth the extra work. The other question people ask is if it makes it a lot louder than then with the stock cover. I don’t think so but it’s hard to tell as the car also has ceramic coated race headers with a Borla exhaust.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is my wife’s weekend toy (so it always stays clean, as I want a happy wife). Her daily driver is a C7 Corvette Z51 which also always stays clean.

Seriously, it does stay pretty clean as it’s not driven daily or in the rain. Plus, it’s worth the extra work. The other question people ask is if it makes it a lot louder than then with the stock cover. I don’t think so but it’s hard to tell as the car also has ceramic coated race headers with a Borla exhaust.

She sounds like a keeper!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts