Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Any pictures of one of these clear covers on a 981 GT4? If so what does it cost?
I don't have any pictures of the cover installed on a 981 GT4, but everything looks like it does on the other 981 Caymans. It's a different story for the 718 GT4, as that car has a unique intake manifold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately I'm only shipping within the US and Canada. I don't know enough about international shipping to be able to ship covers out with high confidence and support.
I'm interested in purchasing a clear engine cover for the 981. I'm in South Florida.

·
Registered
2016 Cayman GTS (6speed!)
1 Posts
I looked at your install guide and I think I know the answer, but wanted to confirm if this is reversible without any permanent modding?

I am interested in purchasing a kit too if you wanted to PM me when you get a chance!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I looked at your install guide and I think I know the answer, but wanted to confirm if this is reversible without any permanent modding?

I am interested in purchasing a kit too if you wanted to PM me when you get a chance!
Yes, the installation is completely reversible and does not involve any permanent modifications to the car. The electrical connections for the lighting is plug-and-play (no splicing) and the hardware bolts into the stock mounting locations. Once you're familiar with the process, you can swap the clear engine cover out and reinstall the stock cover in about an hour with hand tools.

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
239 Posts
Stunning!
How different was the noise (or vibration) levels before and after cover was installed? Thanks.

Good luck with the project. My wife’s car gets a lot of attention and compliments because of the clear cover. We get asked by 981 owners all the time where they can get one for their car.

View attachment 191913

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Stunning!
How different was the noise (or vibration) levels before and after cover was installed? Thanks.
This thread is a bit long so it's easy to miss all the details, but I did a writeup about sound in post #124 (on page 7) along with follow-up comments shortly afterwards. I was hunting for a temperature-related rattle for 6 months that I thought was related to the clear engine cover, but was eventually found to be from the rear hatch trim. The clear engine cover ended up getting a lot of anti-rattle treatment in the process, which I've left in despite not being necessary.

The great majority of owners have been happy with the sound. One person's wife didn't like it when the car was cruising around, as she thought it was a step backwards in refinement. I'm guessing she didn't like hearing all the air intake sounds, as the clear engine cover makes the intake sound like a CAI system was installed. When driving the car hard, she said that she understood why people would like the sound, as it's more exciting and visceral. Nobody has yet complained about the difference in overall volume, so it seems that the clear engine cover is keeping the noise levels down sufficiently.

EDIT: I just realised that you might be asking about clear engine covers for the 987. My comments above are with regards to the clear engine cover I designed for the 981/982.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a user of the clear cover for my 981, one comment that OneTimeCS made that was particularly poignant is that following installation, there is a "bedding in" time. I found that after a week or so, going back through and retightening the bolts significantly improved the sound deadening to the point where it is very close to the original. Yes, you can hear the injectors a little more, but I play music and have conversations perfectly fine. I wholeheartedly recommend this cover and OneTimeCS's engineering. Seeing the engine every time I walk up to the car takes the experience to another level. One note...I do not have the sports exhaust, so I actually wanted to hear more.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Cayman 987.2 2.9 PDK
239 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing!!
Mine's still stock for now... and just enjoying the 987.2 Base as-is … for now! Hmmm, what mods coming up!? We shall see...

This thread is a bit long so it's easy to miss all the details, but I did a writeup about sound in post #124 (on page 7) along with follow-up comments shortly afterwards. I was hunting for a temperature-related rattle for 6 months that I thought was related to the clear engine cover, but was eventually found to be from the rear hatch trim. The clear engine cover ended up getting a lot of anti-rattle treatment in the process, which I've left in despite not being necessary.

The great majority of owners have been happy with the sound. One person's wife didn't like it when the car was cruising around, as she thought it was a step backwards in refinement. I'm guessing she didn't like hearing all the air intake sounds, as the clear engine cover makes the intake sound like a CAI system was installed. When driving the car hard, she said that she understood why people would like the sound, as it's more exciting and visceral. Nobody has yet complained about the difference in overall volume, so it seems that the clear engine cover is keeping the noise levels down sufficiently.

EDIT: I just realised that you might be asking about clear engine covers for the 987. My comments above are with regards to the clear engine cover I designed for the 981/982.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure if its been discussed in this thread, but Porsche did make similar intake covers for the Bergspyder.

·
Registered
Sapphire Met Blue 2015 Porsche Cayman Base, PDK, 20" Carrera whls, Bose, Prem Pkg, 14 wy Sprt Sts
18 Posts
I have spent the last 2 hours reading this discussion from the first post. Let me join the many others for congratulating you on the phenomenal job you’ve done...and the posts describing the process, issues and solutions. I’m in absolute awe.....this from someone who rebuilt his Fiat Abarth 750 “double bubble” engine in the bathroom/bedroom of his shared apartment while in college with just 6 tools...and no guidance, documentation or experience. I was 19 and had no fear....

I’ve had my 2015 981 Cayman base for 3 years and have often wondered what was underneath the covers..and were they necessary. Now I know.

What is your current production state and have you priced out the various components? I would love to know, thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Thanks for the kind words! The clear engine cover is a mature product now, meaning that I no longer make changes to the design. About the only new changes I make are custom colours for the intake plenum caps. I sent you a PM with pricing info (I want to keep the "commercial" side of things out of the forum). There's a wait list, and when a production batch is ready they all go towards the list.

I've had me clear cover on for almost 2 years now, and it's still working as well as it was when new. The abrasion-resistant coating has held up very well, especially when my kids play in the back with their Lego Porsches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I followed this mod from the early stages of development, .. and what an amzing mod it is. i ordered one for my GT4 and i have not yet mustered the courage to install it. So it is still in the box for almost 2 years. I intend to tackle the install this summer. While the step by step instructions seem quite easy to follow... was also hoping to see a video posted somewhere of the installation process by now. I am really looking forward to finally tackling this mod.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I followed this mod from the early stages of development, .. and what an amzing mod it is. i ordered one for my GT4 and i have not yet mustered the courage to install it. So it is still in the box for almost 2 years. I intend to tackle the install this summer. While the step by step instructions seem quite easy to follow... was also hoping to see a video posted somewhere of the installation process by now. I am really looking forward to finally tackling this mod.
If interested in selling it, message me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
I don't have any videos of the installation process, but when you're ready to install just let me know. I can always help you through Zoom, Facetime, etc. Or if you take it to a shop that installs car stereos, they could probably handle it very easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have any videos of the installation process, but when you're ready to install just let me know. I can always help you through Zoom, Facetime, etc. Or if you take it to a shop that installs car stereos, they could probably handle it very easily.
Awesome.... going to do it once spring gets here. Will definitely be in touch

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post! Just picked up a 981 and will be around. Just a few general questions about the cover in its current run:
  • What material is the shroud made from?
  • Do you know what if any weight reduction is gained?
  • Are you still 3D printing the chassis caps? What material are those?
  • Does the lighting harness youre making still need modifications to clip in properly?
  • Is the underside of the PC painted or is it a vinyl mask? If vinyl are there color/pattern options?
  • Did you considered using a depth-set countersink on the PC with a flat-head cap screw?
  • Did you consider making a buck and heat forming the PC?
  • Do you have capacity to etch the PC?
  • Did you consider putting something like PPF (clear and soft) on the underside of the PC for NVH?

181 - 200 of 208 Posts