Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Can't send you a DM as I'm a new user apparently, so I'll ask here.

Do you ship to the UK or is this a USA only thing?
I only ship within the US for now, maybe Canada in the future. The issues with shipping to the UK or other faraway countries are the shipping costs ($900 USD to the UK) and VAT (something like 22% to the UK). It makes the effort prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is really exciting and I hope you continue to full production! I'm all the way in Singapore so I'm guessing it'll probably be awhile before you ship internationally.
But when you do, my email is [email protected] - would love to see more and get an indicative price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to chime in on this thread because it made alarm bells go off in my head. In a Ferrari/Lambo/C8 Corvette/Audi R8, the clear engine cover is outside of the passenger cabin. When you drop a rod through your block at redline, the shrapnel can spray in a 360 degree radius that is pointing at the engine cover above, the road below and your fenders, laterally. It may take out the engine cover, but there is still a tempered, heat resistant rear glass panel that is not in the trajectory of the shrapnel and will keep the ensuing fire and toxic fumes out of the passenger cabin. Without a vertical firewall behind the passenger cabin, this design is not safe. Here is another example of how this design could be dangerous:

"After four-years of Cleetus and Cars shows held by Youtuber Garrett Mitchell, better known to his fans as Cleetus McFarland, their luck of having no serious injuries, ran out. According to video shot by attendees during a Cleetus and Cars event at Bradenton Motorsports park earlier this weekend, long-time C&C burnout participant Parker Whitlock in his Fox body buggy kart suffered shocking second and third-degree burns over most his body after a rear-mounted radiator hose exploded behind him, showering Whitlock with hot coolant in excess of 220 degrees."

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I had to chime in on this thread because it made alarm bells go off in my head. In a Ferrari/Lambo/C8 Corvette/Audi R8, the clear engine cover is outside of the passenger cabin. When you drop a rod through your block at redline, the shrapnel can spray in a 360 degree radius that is pointing at the engine cover above, the road below and your fenders, laterally. It may take out the engine cover, but there is still a tempered, heat resistant rear glass panel that is not in the trajectory of the shrapnel and will keep the ensuing fire and toxic fumes out of the passenger cabin. Without a vertical firewall behind the passenger cabin, this design is not safe. Here is another example of how this design could be dangerous:

"After four-years of Cleetus and Cars shows held by Youtuber Garrett Mitchell, better known to his fans as Cleetus McFarland, their luck of having no serious injuries, ran out. According to video shot by attendees during a Cleetus and Cars event at Bradenton Motorsports park earlier this weekend, long-time C&C burnout participant Parker Whitlock in his Fox body buggy kart suffered shocking second and third-degree burns over most his body after a rear-mounted radiator hose exploded behind him, showering Whitlock with hot coolant in excess of 220 degrees."
Thanks for chiming in, and your thoughts certainly have merit. There are always risks with everything we do, with or without modifications. I leave it to the individual to decide what risks are acceptable.

I do not recommend using the clear engine cover for track use. In the cases where someone uses the car for track, I provide guidance and small modifications to the kit (namely the wiring harness for the lighting kit) to allow for quicker swaps with the stock engine cover.

The clear engine cover is .25" thick polycarbonate. It's a very strong material, and doesn't shatter like glass. While I have not run FEA on the cover, I wouldn't be surprised if it contains shrapnel better than the stock cover, which is very thin aluminium. That said, there are no guarantees in life and the risks are always up to the individual.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I can see some validity in your concern...however, I believe most Cayman owners that are putting this cover on their car are not "burnout" participants (like Mr. Cleetus McFarland) and owners with PDK cars have a rev limiter to avoid redlining. The only obvious blown rod incident I found with a quick google search was a guy who was autocrossing his 987 and even that wasn't catastrophic...so the risk is probably very low for most of us "regular" Porsche drivers. As OneTimeCS commented, every driver needs to access the risk in everything in their car and out (it's a risk just driving the roads these days). So, YMMV.

Also, your comment about not having a vertical firewall is perplexing...this clear cover replaces the top horizontal engine cover...the stock vertical engine cover behind the driver and passenger seats is still there.

All points of view are welcome and encouraged. So, thanks for pointing out your concerns and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
stock vertical engine cover behind the
When I say vertical fire wall, I mean rear window safety glass behind your head like in Ferrari, C8, etc. There is nothing to prevent toxic fumes, flames or boiling hot liquid from coming into the passenger cabin of a Cayman if the polycarbonate cover has been breached.

Even if the polycarbonate cover has superior impact characteristics to the stock aluminum cover, it will be deficient in flame resistance and crumple characteristics in an impact, as it would fracture rather than bend, or in a fire, melt and add to the toxic fumes.

The big question is could manufacturers make this as a stock feature of the car? I think the answer is no, that there are safety rules about using materials for firewalls that polycarbonate could not satisfy.

I recently bought a 981S and was checking out the modification threads here. Saw this and thought, oh, this is really cool! But then the science nerd part of me kicked in and the alarm bells started going off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I say vertical fire wall, I mean rear window safety glass behind your head like in Ferrari, C8, etc. There is nothing to prevent toxic fumes, flames or boiling hot liquid from coming into the passenger cabin of a Cayman if the polycarbonate cover has been breached.

Even if the polycarbonate cover has superior impact characteristics to the stock aluminum cover, it will be deficient in flame resistance and crumple characteristics in an impact, as it would fracture rather than bend, or in a fire, melt and add to the toxic fumes.

The big question is could manufacturers make this as a stock feature of the car? I think the answer is no, that there are safety rules about using materials for firewalls that polycarbonate could not satisfy.

I recently bought a 981S and was checking out the modification threads here. Saw this and thought, oh, this is really cool! But then the science nerd part of me kicked in and the alarm bells started going off.
Got it...and, I agree, there are elements to the polycarbonate material that may prohibit manufacturers from making this a stock feature. But, since I've never crashed any of the seven Porsches I've owned in the last 25 years nor has any of them caught fire...I'll take my chances! :) It seems with the abundant sales of the 987 clear cover (no more safe than this cover) there are a lot of 987 owners who've taken the risk too.

As an engineer myself, I can see and appreciate the nerd part kicking in...at least with this cover, it's completely reversible fairly quickly, so if your conscious is killin' ya...put it back like it was.

221 - 229 of 229 Posts