Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
241 - 260 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Awaiting shipment from Henry (OneTimeCS) for his clear engine cover. Order was processed and shipped super fast. He has been fantastic to deal with - responding quickly to inquiries, etc. Looking forward to the install in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To answer your questions:

• If you're referring to the metal trim piece, it's made of brushed stainless steel.
  • Weight reduction: I didn't weigh the parts for comparison, but the clear engine cover weighs just about the same as the stock cover. This is because the carpet for the stock cover has a heavy foam underside.
  • The chassis tab caps are 3D printed and are made of black ABS.
  • The lighting harness is 100% plug-and-play, and requires no modifications to your car's wiring harness.
  • The underside of the clear cover is painted matte black. I could consider different colour options but there would be additional cost and the set would need to be paid for in advance (as opposed to standard sets, which I ask for payment only just before shipment occurs). I can't be responsible for the risk if a custom colour combo doesn't look right.
  • I chose not to countersink the screws because that would require higher dimensional tolerances in order to avoid over-constraining the assembly. All cars have slightly different dimensions, so there needs to be some float designed into the holes to make up for the lack of precision. For example, the interior trim in my car is shifted to the left of the car's centerline by around 1 mm.
  • I'm not sure what shape you're suggesting to be heat-formed, but the tooling required for heat-forming 1/4" thick PC would be cost-prohibitive.
  • I don't have the ability to etch the clear covers, and in fact do everything I can to avoid scratching them. They have anti-abrasion coatings on both sides that may make etching a bit more difficult.
  • One customer has put PPF on both sides of the clear cover, and the results seem good. I don't apply PPF because of the drop in clarity, plus as I mentioned above I have an anti-abrasion coating applied. If a customer wants to apply PPF themselves, I can provide a cut template for their wrap shop to use. PPF won't have any effect on NVH. In fact, the only thing that will appreciably bring the sound signature back to stock is to cover the entire area in an inch of dense foam (as the stock cover does). Regarding vibrations, the clear engine cover has braces, gaskets, and felt flocking in strategic areas to prevent rattles.
Aloha, where can I get one of those clears covers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I only ship within the US for now, maybe Canada in the future. The issues with shipping to the UK or other faraway countries are the shipping costs ($900 USD to the UK) and VAT (something like 22% to the UK). It makes the effort prohibitively expensive.

Hello! I would like a quote/estimate for the full kit (including Racing Yellow covers) for my 2014 Cayman please. My email address is [email protected]

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
453 Posts
I’d be interested in the clear engine cover and red plenum covers for my 2016 Cayman ([email protected])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
749 Posts
OneTimeCS, your work is a piece of art and I think it completes the beautiful design of the 981. It's also something that cannot be done in a 911. This mod will get more attention than a nice and expensive wheel.
How long does it take to remove the clear cover to clean the engine bay? Is there a sealant to replenish before putting it back?

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Thanks, I appreciate it!

There are 6 screws that are removed with an allen key, so it's less than 1 minute to get into the engine bay. Once in there, a quick dusting with a microfiber cloth is enough (assuming it's just a few months' worth of dust, not 6 years' worth). There are rubber gaskets that seal everything, and they don't need to be replaced every time the cover is removed. Some of the gaskets are natural rubber, which I'm finding deteriorate the quickest. After 3-4 years the natural rubber gaskets will look worn out, but not absolutely necessary to replace. All of the gaskets, screws, etc, are available on McMaster Carr, and I provide the part numbers so finding replacements is easy in the US.

Below is a photo of the underside of the clear engine cover, where you can see some of the gaskets and flocking that are applied underneath. The aluminium brace is there to tune the engine sound that goes into the cabin, specifically to keep the sound consistent regardless of engine temperature.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Bumper Tire

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome project! glad someone is doing this. I'd be down to buy one once you feel you got a good prototype. I heard engine heat and excessive level of noise could be an issue, do you have a plan to address?

Also, found a shot of the 9A1 engine bay painted a bit vs. all black OEM. This person did a good job painting the right pieces to dress it up I think. Showing the all black plastic look engine as is might not be worth it.

View attachment 191753
The 981 engine definitely needs a bit of sprucing up, but first things first - gotta make a clear cover, then I can work on making the engine look nicer. I really like those red accents on the Porsche plates, and will probably do that to my engine.

I've run the car without any cover over the engine, and it's definitely too loud. That plus the heat motivate me to seal off the engine bay as best as I can. It's going to be difficult because the engine bay opening is highly curved and packaging gets tight towards the front of the engine bay (above the accessory belts).

Heat and noise can't be much different than in a 987, so hopefully it'll be ok in the 981 too.

On the plus side, while driving with no cover on I kept a carbon monoxide meter in the cabin and it registered 0.
I have a 4k monitor so for me personally I love big sized pictures. Allows me to see the detail much better. If I would have my way I would recommend a little bit larger pics :D
Hello,
I have been searching far and wide for a clear engine cover for 981 Cayman S 2014. I would like to know how long this will take to make and ship to El Paso Tx, Cost and shipping. Please email this information to vluvy69 at hotmail com. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate it!

There are 6 screws that are removed with an allen key, so it's less than 1 minute to get into the engine bay. Once in there, a quick dusting with a microfiber cloth is enough (assuming it's just a few months' worth of dust, not 6 years' worth). There are rubber gaskets that seal everything, and they don't need to be replaced every time the cover is removed. Some of the gaskets are natural rubber, which I'm finding deteriorate the quickest. After 3-4 years the natural rubber gaskets will look worn out, but not absolutely necessary to replace. All of the gaskets, screws, etc, are available on McMaster Carr, and I provide the part numbers so finding replacements is easy in the US.

Below is a photo of the underside of the clear engine cover, where you can see some of the gaskets and flocking that are applied underneath. The aluminium brace is there to tune the engine sound that goes into the cabin, specifically to keep the sound consistent regardless of engine temperature.

View attachment 277783
Hello,
I have been searching far and wide for a clear engine cover for 981 Cayman S 2014. I would like to know how long this will take to make and ship to El Paso Tx, Cost and shipping. Please email this information to vluvy69 at hotmail com. Thanks

241 - 260 of 281 Posts