Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since designing a clear engine cover for the 981 over 3 years ago (see my thread about it here), I've been wanting to design some kind of cover to hide the unsightly shift cables. I'm working on a new accessory I call the engine "centerpiece" that will hopefully achieve this goal. The centerpiece will be compatible with all 987.2 and 981 engines only. Here is the first conceptual draft:

Textile Rectangle Line Art Font

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Hood Trunk Keyboard

Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

I made a mockup from paper cardstock and 3D printed ABS. The real part will likely be made of anodized aluminium and carbon fiber. I haven't decided how to implement the Porsche emblem yet - it'll either be a flat GT3-style decal, metal emblem from the front hood, and/or no badge at all. The front hood badge is quite pricey (around $120), so that's a consideration.

Since designing the first draft, I got some valuable feedback from owners of the clear engine cover. The resulting design changes thus far look like this:

Eye Sleeve Rectangle Headgear Collar

Green Rectangle Art Pink Font

The centerpiece is designed to be installed without any tools or fasteners: there are some 3D printed bases that are mounted onto the intake plenum's clamps using double-sided foam tape, after which the centerpiece clips into place. The foam tape is rated at 30 PSI bonding strength, so it would take around 230 pounds to pull the bases off the intake plenum once installed.

I'll keep this thread updated as I work on the design, prototyping, and finally production.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may/will get into some trouble producing something with the Porsche crest on it. I would suggest either a design without it or one where the user can add their own (from Porsche or a licensed third party).

I think this looks terrific!
Thanks, that's a very good point. The emblem(s) I'm considering are authentic Porsche parts (ordered one from Suncoast a couple days ago), but perhaps there's a problem if it's pre-mounted onto the centerpiece. It might be ok if I include the emblem as a separate part that the users mount themselves. I'll have to ask a lawyer friend about this.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it may be a bit more pricey but it would look amazing if that whole piece where the grill is would be a one whole piece of carbon fiber and the metal emblem sitting on top, maybe as an option instead of the partial carbon trim?
I might be able to do this, even as a one-off, if my shop allows for it. They might have a minimum order quantity that gets in the way. It helps if others want a solid carbon middle section as well. I'll make a rendering of a solid carbon top when I get a chance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I prefer the anodized aluminum and the carbon fiber trim to be separate pieces...that way I can paint one of them a contrasting color.

Regarding the emblem, you would be better off having the centerpiece setup to accept the emblem to be bought and installed by the user with instructions you provide...selling it in a kit might be a legal snafu.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer the anodized aluminum and the carbon fiber trim to be separate pieces...that way I can paint one of them a contrasting color.

Regarding the emblem, you would be better off having the centerpiece setup to accept the emblem to be bought and installed by the user with instructions you provide...selling it in a kit might be a legal snafu.
One way or another, there will be an aluminium body that's separate from the carbon fiber trim. I didn't know that it's possible to paint anodized aluminium, but apparently all you need is an etching primer before painting. I'll try to accommodate as much personalization as practical.

Regarding the emblem, I agree that it would probably be safer for the user to purchase their own. I'll make some kind of base for the emblem to mount to, so that it would be as simple as dropping it in place and tightening a couple nuts. The base would also provide another piece of trim that can be painted/customized.

I know it may be a bit more pricey but it would look amazing if that whole piece where the grill is would be a one whole piece of carbon fiber and the metal emblem sitting on top, maybe as an option instead of the partial carbon trim?
Here is a rendering of a solid carbon top:

Sports gear Sleeve Bag Font Headgear

Green Rectangle Textile Art Font

I don't think a solid top will be offered by default, but hopefully it can be an option.

·
Registered
296 Posts
So cool. I love innovative creative ppl. The “wholly” one is very nice. (And offering to add the official badge to the shipment or pointing ppl to where to get it seems legit).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually, since I have no carbon fiber in my car, and my dash trim, seatbelts and intake covers are all red, I would paint the trim of the centerpiece red and leave the aluminum alone...especially if it's finished in brushed aluminum to match the metal trim piece you did on the clear cover kit.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I LOVE the enthusiasm and creativity! I have a 3D printer too and do a lot of 3D work with in my line of work, but this isn’t really my cup of tea for the 981. It’s too Ferrari/Lambo for my taste and not very Porsche(y). I bit too blingy and look at me in your face.

Porsche tends to be a bit more conservative. But as they say, to each their own and I think everyone should be comfortable doing what they want with what they paid for.

I’m not bringing down what you’re doing, just a different point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OneTimeCS

·
Registered
420 Posts
I LOVE the enthusiasm and creativity! I have a 3D printer too and do a lot of 3D work with in my line of work, but this isn’t really my cup of tea for the 981. It’s too Ferrari/Lambo for my taste and not very Porsche(y). I bit too blingy and look at me in your face.

Porsche tends to be a bit more conservative. But as they say, to each their own and I think everyone should be comfortable doing what they want with what they paid for.

Fair Point. I grant you that.

But the first time I put my Boxster into "service mode", essentially just accessing the motor compartment as I tinkered with some things for a few days, I was enamored with actually SEEING that beautiful architecture/design of the car's layout. AND apparently that was true for a few fellas that saw it in my shop while in service mode.

The comments were all similar to "wow, I knew the motor was back there somewhere but I didn't realize how......." (lots of complimentary comments from guys that were NOT complimentary of the Boxster beforehand)

That clear cover might be a little blingy for Porsche, but it showcases what arguably is the genius of these cars. And if you are going to put a window there, dressing it up a bit is only natural. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Fair Point. I grant you that.

But the first time I put my Boxster into "service mode", essentially just accessing the motor compartment as I tinkered with some things for a few days, I was enamored with actually SEEING that beautiful architecture/design of the car's layout. AND apparently that was true for a few fellas that saw it in my shop while in service mode.

The comments were all similar to "wow, I knew the motor was back there somewhere but I didn't realize how......." (lots of complimentary comments from guys that were NOT complimentary of the Boxster beforehand)

That clear cover might be a little blingy for Porsche, but it showcases what arguably is the genius of these cars. And if you are going to put a window there, dressing it up a bit is only natural. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I’m with you. As I said to each their own. Enjoy it the way YOU want to. That’s what I always say to guys who say “should I …”. Please no one but you. It does look well thought out, it’s just not my thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, since I have no carbon fiber in my car, and my dash trim, seatbelts and intake covers are all red, I would paint the trim of the centerpiece red and leave the aluminum alone...especially if it's finished in brushed aluminum to match the metal trim piece you did on the clear cover kit.
Anodized aluminium has a satin finish to it, so it'll look different than the brushed stainless steel trim on the clear engine cover. I had considered brushed stainless steel first, but have concerns about corrosion resistance inside the engine bay. I also considered chromate conversion similar to the goldish aluminium parts in the McLaren F1 engine bay, but that coating isn't as wear-resistant as anodizing.

Now I'm considering if the anodized part should be clear anodized (showing the raw colour of the aluminium) or if it should be tinted a darker shade like gunmetal. Clear anodizing might be too bright for the engine bay. Whatever I choose, all sets will have to be the same due to minimum order quantities. In the example below, clear anodizing would be the lightest shade on the right, and gunmetal would be the second shade on the left.

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Beige Material property

Here is a rendering with the carbon trim and emblem base painted red:

Photograph Product Rectangle Pink Bag

Rectangle Bag Font Badge Pattern

I hear you. Porsche has gone the way of hiding their engines. Porsche has the conservative look covered, which is a safe bet for wider user acceptance. Porsche sports cars will always have a timeless, classic look because they don't try to push the design too far. That said, I wanted a bit more flair for my car, so it's nice to have a choice.

When starting on the centerpiece concept, I looked at the 918 for inspiration:

Hood Grille Motor vehicle Kitchen utensil Automotive design

It has the circular-hole mesh and anodized aluminium that I incorporated into my design. It also has the "911 grille" slats in the aluminium pieces that I tried to incorporate, but couldn't get to look right.

Then I looked at the Macan engine:

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Product Car

Overall it looks like they slapped a plastic toboggan on and called it a day, which I didn't want to mimic. However, the Macan engine cover has the faux intake runners, 3 going to each side, which is a design element I incorporated in the wings of my design. At the bottom of the Macan photo you can see the diamond mesh that I used for my first concept. I also considered adding some badges for "981", "3.4L", "2.7L", "GT4", etc, but the design gets too busy. My first concept was already too busy, so much of the effort goes into simplifying and softening things.

I made a mockup of the latest design:

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Gear shift Car

You can't really tell in the photos, but the centerpiece is pitched incorrectly such that the rear end sits higher than the front end. I'm fixing the pitch, then will make another mockup.

Regarding the emblem, my trademark lawyer friend advised that I should not include one in the kit, but can include an installation base for it as well as directions on where to buy one separately. This means that any inclusion of an emblem, or what kind, will be completely up to the end user. The kid in me wants to install an Autobots emblem. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep. The rendering you did below is close to what I would be looking for...I like the anodized part clear anodized (showing the raw color of the aluminium which would be close to the color of the trim where the oil filler and coolant filler caps are located). I like the carbon trim painted red like the intake covers. I would leave the emblem base painted black (like the rendering below) just like the screws.

Rectangle Bag Sleeve Font Sports gear

Awesome job Henry!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Anodized aluminium has a satin finish to it, so it'll look different than the brushed stainless steel trim on the clear engine cover. I had considered brushed stainless steel first, but have concerns about corrosion resistance inside the engine bay. I also considered chromate conversion similar to the goldish aluminium parts in the McLaren F1 engine bay, but that coating isn't as wear-resistant as anodizing.

Now I'm considering if the anodized part should be clear anodized (showing the raw colour of the aluminium) or if it should be tinted a darker shade like gunmetal. Clear anodizing might be too bright for the engine bay. Whatever I choose, all sets will have to be the same due to minimum order quantities. In the example below, clear anodizing would be the lightest shade on the right, and gunmetal would be the second shade on the left.

View attachment 276377

Here is a rendering with the carbon trim and emblem base painted red:

View attachment 276378

View attachment 276379

I hear you. Porsche has gone the way of hiding their engines. Porsche has the conservative look covered, which is a safe bet for wider user acceptance. Porsche sports cars will always have a timeless, classic look because they don't try to push the design too far. That said, I wanted a bit more flair for my car, so it's nice to have a choice.

When starting on the centerpiece concept, I looked at the 918 for inspiration:

View attachment 276380

It has the circular-hole mesh and anodized aluminium that I incorporated into my design. It also has the "911 grille" slats in the aluminium pieces that I tried to incorporate, but couldn't get to look right.

Then I looked at the Macan engine:

View attachment 276381

Overall it looks like they slapped a plastic toboggan on and called it a day, which I didn't want to mimic. However, the Macan engine cover has the faux intake runners, 3 going to each side, which is a design element I incorporated in the wings of my design. At the bottom of the Macan photo you can see the diamond mesh that I used for my first concept. I also considered adding some badges for "981", "3.4L", "2.7L", "GT4", etc, but the design gets too busy. My first concept was already too busy, so much of the effort goes into simplifying and softening things.

I made a mockup of the latest design:

View attachment 276382

View attachment 276383

View attachment 276384

You can't really tell in the photos, but the centerpiece is pitched incorrectly such that the rear end sits higher than the front end. I'm fixing the pitch, then will make another mockup.

Regarding the emblem, my trademark lawyer friend advised that I should not include one in the kit, but can include an installation base for it as well as directions on where to buy one separately. This means that any inclusion of an emblem, or what kind, will be completely up to the end user. The kid in me wants to install an Autobots emblem. :D
Big kudos on how far you are with it! I admire your eye for design and 3D modeling. Not to mention it is very hard to take a new design and create something on a 3D printer to this level. My applause sir! And I like how you have studied Porsche designs and tried to make it like something they might do.

Again, I admire your work. Having been in the mechanical design industry for 25+ years, and owned a 3D for 5-6 years now, I know how much time it takes to get something to this point at this finish level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is no chance that this can fit a 2008 Cayman S?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts