Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yep. The rendering you did below is close to what I would be looking for...I like the anodized part clear anodized (showing the raw color of the aluminium which would be close to the color of the trim where the oil filler and coolant filler caps are located). I like the carbon trim painted red like the intake covers. I would leave the emblem base painted black (like the rendering below) just like the screws.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll stick to clear anodizing for now. Let me know if you'd like me to send any template files in case you want to try sketching your own design for the carbon trim. I'll see if it's possible to have one-off carbon frames made.

There is no chance that this can fit a 2008 Cayman S?
My design should fit 987.2 and 981 engines. Do you know if your 2008 is a 987.1 or 987.2?

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMHO I think that it looks better without the crest. We all know it's a Porsche, and there are plenty of crests etc elsewhere. The metal piece looks more functional and elegant without it.

Reactions: PG-IN

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
IMHO I think that it looks better without the crest. We all know it's a Porsche, and there are plenty of crests etc elsewhere. The metal piece looks more functional and elegant without it.
Here's how it would look without the crest:

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Font

Product Rectangle Font Material property Magenta

Fortunately, the crest is planned to be an optional item.

I made a new mockup with the pitch angle fixed, and it now looks like it's sitting on the engine correctly. The next step is to wait for the Porsche emblem to arrive in the mail so I can design a mount for it.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Trunk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I'll stick to clear anodizing for now. Let me know if you'd like me to send any template files in case you want to try sketching your own design for the carbon trim. I'll see if it's possible to have one-off carbon frames made.

My design should fit 987.2 and 981 engines. Do you know if your 2008 is a 987.1 or 987.2?
I believe that it is a 987.1 3.4

·
Registered
17 Posts

View attachment 276453

View attachment 276454

Fortunately, the crest is planned to be an optional item.

I made a new mockup with the pitch angle fixed, and it now looks like it's sitting on the engine correctly. The next step is to wait for the Porsche emblem to arrive in the mail so I can design a mount for it.

View attachment 276455

View attachment 276456
I like it fine without the crest but think it being an option is a good idea. How do I get one of your clear covers and what does the clear cover cost?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

View attachment 276453

View attachment 276454
Ok, THIS (without the crest) looks much better in my opinion. I didn’t realize it till mentioned but the crest was my hang up. Plain with the amazing detail of the clear cover is very very nice. And not sure I said it before but the clear cover is nicer iterations than any I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can appreciate your point. But from my perspective, I like the crest as I believe it gives a nod to the original Porsche mid-engine 550 Spyder that had a crest on the front and rear bonnet. Our modern mid-engine Porsches have the front crest...this gives us an opportunity to have a rear crest. Fortunately, OneTimeCS will make it optional so everyone has a chance to display it or not according to your own taste!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have a 987.1c base. I have a clear cover and am interested. Your modling skill is impressive
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I'll have to check, but the 987.1 Base might have a different intake plenum than the S model. If so, it's unlikely that I'll design anything for the Base. I have a 987.1 S, which makes it easier for me to go through the design process. (I also have a 981 S.) Without a car or 3D scan of a car, I'm flying blind. In any case, it'll be a long time before I think of designing anything for the 987.1.

Subscribed. Are you planning to offer this as a kit? Where did you source the see-thru engine cover?
At minimum I want to make one for myself, but it certainly helps bring costs down if I have multiple instances made. So I'll make a few more for owners of my clear engine cover kit who are interested. Whether I'll make them available in the long term remains to be seen.

If you're interested in the clear engine cover kit that I make, there's a thread about it here:

I like it fine without the crest but think it being an option is a good idea. How do I get one of your clear covers and what does the clear cover cost?
If you would like info regarding pricing and availability, please email me at "hchea AT kungstorget DOT nu" (replace the AT and DOT with the proper characters). Or, you can PM me your email address and I'll get back to you.

Ok, THIS (without the crest) looks much better in my opinion. I didn’t realize it till mentioned but the crest was my hang up. Plain with the amazing detail of the clear cover is very very nice. And not sure I said it before but the clear cover is nicer iterations than any I’ve ever seen.
Very interesting, I hadn't expected this response to a crestless design. It seems like the current official Porsche design rules call for the crest to be used on the front hood, wheel caps, steering wheel, and embossed on the armrest and headrests. I don't see any modern instances where it's used on the engine. That initially made me hesitate because I didn't want a big faux pas, for example putting crests on the front fenders like a wannabe Ferrari. However, I have to admit that I like seeing that crest even if it's not traditional to have it on the engine. The rear of the car is the only angle where you can't see a crest otherwise.

The crest will be attached using two nuts, so it's an easy piece to add or remove.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Does this arrangement allow more engine sounds into the cockpit? How much?
The "centerpiece" that this thread is about does not affect sound. If you're referring to the clear engine cover, yes it does affect the sound. The following post on Planet-9 shows the loudness testing I performed on my engine cover with my 981 S:

981 Clear Engine Cover

This post shows a more in-depth description of the sound signature, including MP3 audio clips:

981 Clear Engine Cover

Member CLB63 made an excellent video capturing the differences in sound. You'll want to use good headphones or speakers at moderately high volume:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I received a Porsche crest from Suncoast today:

Guitar accessory Badge Emblem Symbol Font

It's like a really nice piece of jewelry. Unlike the crest on the front hood, this one does not have a clear epoxy layer on top. Hopefully it won't cause any issues.

The underside has a couple 3 mm unthreaded bosses angled about 10 degrees inward:

Gadget Circle Audio equipment Font Metal

Since there are no threads, special push-nuts need to be used. Fortunately Suncoast included the special nuts as well as the rubber gasket that goes under the crest.

Automotive tire Circle Household hardware Auto part Button

I made a CAD model of the crest, and of course the unthreaded bosses did not line up with any of the holes in the anodized sheet metal base. I had to resize the mesh holes in order to make the crest fit. Here is the model as it stands now:

Sleeve Automotive lighting Rectangle Font Jewellery

The crest mounts on a pair of mesh holes and is secured with the special nuts. This means that placement of the crest is very flexible, in case the user wants the crest placed elsewhere on the mesh. I designed a small base that pilots onto a couple of the mesh holes, forcing the crest to be mounted straight (not crooked). The picture below shows the underside of the assembly, with the base in black:

White Light Black Fixture Architecture

The next step is getting a quote on production and calculating the overall cost.

For those who are considering getting a centerpiece from the first production batch, I'm going to offer the ability to customize the carbon fiber frame. I might offer customized carbon fiber frames in later batches as well, but it's not guaranteed. If anyone is interested, please let me know ASAP so that I don't start production before you're ready. The minimal frame looks like this:

Automotive lighting Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Auto part

Customization involves adding whatever design is desired within the frame. I have a template file that can be used to make the customized design. There will of course be an additional cost, which I expect to be around $40-50.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I received a Porsche crest from Suncoast today:

View attachment 276469

It's like a really nice piece of jewelry. Unlike the crest on the front hood, this one does not have a clear epoxy layer on top. Hopefully it won't cause any issues.

The underside has a couple 3 mm unthreaded bosses angled about 10 degrees inward:

View attachment 276470

Since there are no threads, special push-nuts need to be used. Fortunately Suncoast included the special nuts as well as the rubber gasket that goes under the crest.

View attachment 276471

I made a CAD model of the crest, and of course the unthreaded bosses did not line up with any of the holes in the anodized sheet metal base. I had to resize the mesh holes in order to make the crest fit. Here is the model as it stands now:

View attachment 276472

The crest mounts on a pair of mesh holes and is secured with the special nuts. This means that placement of the crest is very flexible, in case the user wants the crest placed elsewhere on the mesh. I designed a small base that pilots onto a couple of the mesh holes, forcing the crest to be mounted straight (not crooked). The picture below shows the underside of the assembly, with the base in black:

View attachment 276473

The next step is getting a quote on production and calculating the overall cost.

For those who are considering getting a centerpiece from the first production batch, I'm going to offer the ability to customize the carbon fiber frame. I might offer customized carbon fiber frames in later batches as well, but it's not guaranteed. If anyone is interested, please let me know ASAP so that I don't start production before you're ready. The minimal frame looks like this:

View attachment 276474

Customization involves adding whatever design is desired within the frame. I have a template file that can be used to make the customized design. There will of course be an additional cost, which I expect to be around $40-50.
I wonder if the mesh was shaped as a porsche crest would add anything to the look.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I wonder if the mesh was shaped as a porsche crest would add anything to the look.
I had considered all sorts of shapes for the mesh holes, including crests and diamonds and slits. In the end, I think the simplest shape (circles) stands the best chance of ageing well. There are also manufacturing and structural considerations, since the sharp corners of crest-shaped holes or diamonds can be problematic to cut and create high-stress points where the aluminium can fatigue and crack.

Before I forget to mention it, a forum member helped me figure out that my centerpiece design will not work with the 987.2 platform. The HIP Design clear engine cover sits too low by about an inch, so the centerpiece will not fit. Hence, the centerpiece will only work for the 981 platform.

I'm about a week away from receiving the first batch of parts. While waiting, I decided to try to remove the staggered intake cap setup. Here is how the staggered red intake caps look:

Blue Hood Rectangle Font Motor vehicle

They're staggered by about 20mm from each other. By designing new caps that are 20mm longer, the stagger can be hidden:

Green Blue Rectangle Textile Font

Product Motor vehicle Green Automotive exterior Font

In reality, the improvement is small since the stagger isn't hugely noticeable. Plus, the stagger is a uniquely Porsche characteristic. But for those seeking symmetry, these longer intake caps might be the solution.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I don't have a chance to go into details right now, but I wanted to share a few photos of the first article. So far everything fits well, but I'll need to tilt my red intake caps (not shown below) so that they align better with the centerpiece.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive design

Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Light

Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

21 - 40 of 57 Posts