Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've finally landed a beautiful 981 GTS 6-speed that I'll be picking up in a few days. Incredibly excited and will certainly get some photos here once she's home.

During the purchase process, I breifly contemplated a 718 for the added creature comforts - backup cam, updated sound system, CayPlay functionality, etc. - however I just don't think these options are more important than that fabulous flat six (not to mention the 981 is seemingly becoming a very valuable and sought-after car).

In attempts to make it a bit more modern, I'm wondering what successes you've had with adding such options? This is a PCM 3.1 I'm told. I'd rather not go crazy trying to wire in all of these crazy aftermarket things so that I can easily restore to complete stock if needed in the future. Also not too interested in this Joye wireless kit that I see from time to time - these cheap China parts don't do well IMO and wireless anything typically means severe audio degradation.

• Is it possible to swap out the factory headunit for a Kenwood with those features? Can't seem to find info on wiring harnesses and such.
  • Backup camera options possible? I understand a full fledged system would be extremely complicated and costly. Again, hoping to not do something extravagant so that I can restore the car to factory in the future for value-sake.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hi all! I've finally landed a beautiful 981 GTS 6-speed that I'll be picking up in a few days. Incredibly excited and will certainly get some photos here once she's home.

During the purchase process, I breifly contemplated a 718 for the added creature comforts - backup cam, updated sound system, CayPlay functionality, etc. - however I just don't think these options are more important than that fabulous flat six (not to mention the 981 is seemingly becoming a very valuable and sought-after car).

In attempts to make it a bit more modern, I'm wondering what successes you've had with adding such options? This is a PCM 3.1 I'm told. I'd rather not go crazy trying to wire in all of these crazy aftermarket things so that I can easily restore to complete stock if needed in the future. Also not too interested in this Joye wireless kit that I see from time to time - these cheap China parts don't do well IMO and wireless anything typically means severe audio degradation.

• Is it possible to swap out the factory headunit for a Kenwood with those features? Can't seem to find info on wiring harnesses and such.
  • Backup camera options possible? I understand a full fledged system would be extremely complicated and costly. Again, hoping to not do something extravagant so that I can restore the car to factory in the future for value-sake.

Thanks all!
I have a 2013 Boxster S and while I don't have any answers for you, I'm replying to subscribe to your thread. Will be interesting to see if anything viable comes up for discussion. And I was like you, I briefly considered a 718 but didn't care for the harshness of the engines and I too love that fabulous flat 6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 981 base I added a JVC head unit with back up cam $1250.00 My 981 S I did a clip on/over mirror wireless system $50.00 + 150.00 for install . $200.00 all in & worked fine . That said water got into lens and took a while to dry out ..( a week ) my fault washing car. Purchased on ebay . nWas going to add pic but taking too long to upload.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 981 base I added a JVC head unit with back up cam $1250.00 My 981 S I did a clip on/over mirror wireless system $50.00 + 150.00 for install . $200.00 all in & worked fine . That said water got into lens and took a while to dry out ..( a week ) my fault washing car. Purchased on ebay . nWas going to add pic but taking too long to upload.
Product Font Motor vehicle Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed the Isudar kit which means you still need to open the PCM, but there is no longer a second box you need to add. I had to uninstall the NAV TV reverse camera kit I added back when I got the car, and the back up camera now operates via the Car Play Board. Also, I turned off the wireless CarPlay and just used the wired. Seems like a very good solution for about $300...

Sean

·
Registered
137 Posts
FYI - I did the Joyeauto upgrade on my 981 and love it. Many people have done that with great results. Reverse camera was a GreenYi with dynamic reverse lines, because I've got a 6MT and I wanted the back up lines to curve when turning (they won't curve with most units if you have a 6MT). Worked well enough that I'm installing another one on my 987 this summer, plus an inexpensive Sony head unit.

·
Registered
619 Posts
FYI - I did the Joyeauto upgrade on my 981 and love it. Many people have done that with great results. Reverse camera was a GreenYi with dynamic reverse lines, because I've got a 6MT and I wanted the back up lines to curve when turning (they won't curve with most units if you have a 6MT). Worked well enough that I'm installing another one on my 987 this summer, plus an inexpensive Sony head unit.
Good to hear. I just installed my JoyeAuto unit but still need to run the Camera. Been putting it off so to all the trim removal needed…

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you want to go completely nuts, a full conversion to the more recent PCM system may be possible, though not cheap.

I'm aware of someone in my area that had his 997.2 Turbo converted to the PCM that was sold in the 991. Brutally expensive, and required a fair bit of additional work and components (such as sensors) to get everything perfect, but he did it.

My memory however might not be correct. Let me see if I can find a way to run into him again (I know what car meet he'd go to) and I can report back at some point, likely in a few months.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I just installed the Isudar kit which means you still need to open the PCM, but there is no longer a second box you need to add. I had to uninstall the NAV TV reverse camera kit I added back when I got the car, and the back up camera now operates via the Car Play Board. Also, I turned off the wireless CarPlay and just used the wired. Seems like a very good solution for about $300...

Sean
thats awesome...Is this the new kit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
go to Crutchfield.com and you'll see the possibilities with a new head unit in the $400 - $1,000 range before installation. I had a pioneer installed in my 987 with wireless Android Auto/Car Play so the car hooks up to my phone upon start-up.

·
Registered
2007 Base Boxster, 2013 Base Cayenne
21 Posts
When I bought my 987.1 Boxster the first thing I added was a new head unit. I got an Alpine which worked and sounded great. But that was before CarPlay/Auto. So this year I swapped out the Alpine for a Pioneer. I really like it, it sounds great and has SiriusXM besides. Both the Apple and the Android connect wirelessly and a nice Porsche logo shows up when it starts. My 2013 Cayenne had most of what I needed when I got it except CarPlay/Auto. After lots of looking and reading I purchased the Joyeauto kit for my version of PCM and with great trepidation, installed it. It works GREAT! I did not lose any of the functionality of my PCM but added everything I was missing. I bought it thinking that I could always remove it to bring the car back to stock but after using it for 2 years I would never do that. It is so much better than the stock PCM! My only annoyance is that AutoPlay is not wireless. I have to plug my Android phone in to get the maps and stuff on the PCM screen. My wife's Apple does connect wirelessly and also works great. You may not like Asian devices but much of what you already own that is electronic is Asian. I love my Joyeauto add-in and have not had any issues with it in the 2 years I've been using it. The key feature for me was not losing any of my PCM's functionality. I do 7 hour drives between home and summer cottage multiple times each summer (need the Cayenne to tow the boat) and I don't know how I would do it without the Joyeauto.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Sean
I also have NAV TV for my front and rear camera, although just the standard OEM crappy audio head. I would like to upgrade to a Bluetooth android auto unit, but not if I have to uninstall my Nav TV. I paid $1600 including install for that

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Interesting read, this thread. I still have a feel, every time I enter my Cayman, that it is completely up-to-date car and nothing inside it (or outside it) is anachronistic. It was very interesting to read how a different use can make the car perception from awesomely new down to near worthless. I really don't think someone that goes through trouble and expense to 991 their 997 in components and software - I do not think they see their car (997) as perfect and completely up-to-date.

No disrespect to anybody, it is just interesting to notice Frank Lloyd Wright - house syndrome here as well. If you've never been, go to see one of those, well worth it. Your mind will locate that house into '70s or '80s regardless of what the guide is saying. Then the sledgehammer meets your face when you see the first piece of "tech" - which, in case of Dana house in Springfield, IL, was actual stove the service was using for cooking. Or clock-and-radio in the master bedroom built into the bed in Boswell house in Cincinnati. Or kitchen elements and appliances in Fallingwater house in PA. Nothing will make your possession obsolete as much as tech. Owners of original 911s and Rolexes from the same era know that very well :)

Peace out.

EDIT: I also have, in the basement, Technics SL-1200 turntable. Looks completely, totally up-to-date and new. Just like 1989 Singer 911 :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The wireless CarPlay uses both BT and WiFi. It uses Bluetooth to establish an initial connection. Once connected it uses WiFi for all the data. If WiFi is good enough to stream 4K content, I think you’ll be fine with steaming audio. The only delay I’ve seen with wireless CarPlay versus wired is the skip forward and reverse 15 seconds on podcasts and such takes a noticeable split second longer over wireless. But wins in my opinion due ton not having to physically connect every time I get in and out of the car. I like to choose when my phone charges.

·
Registered
2013 Boxster S
20 Posts
I just saw this CarPlay option and it looks like it is new within the last month. May be a great option, especially considering it has camera support and MOST digital sound:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have installed Isudar into my C981S and it is just perfect for me. It has all I need including video mirroring :) after firmware update it has no more issues with sound. Installation took around two hours - never done it before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts