Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I test drove the Cayman GTS last week and was absolutely blown away by it, couldn't wipe the grin off my face. After reading watching a few reviews that mentioned the GTS was too firm, I decided to also test the base Cayman....well that myth was busted in about 10 mins of driving the base. The GTS' regular suspension is perfect and I love how the GTS has power that is immediately accessible.

Please let me know what you think of my config, any recommendations are more than welcome (this will be my first Porsche). I'd like to keep the options to a minimum if possible, but if anything is highly recommended I would love to know.

Confirmed:
Carrara White Metallic
20-inch Carrera S (silver)Caps
ParkAssist rear
Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
2-zone automatic air conditioning
Seat heating
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Smoking package

Guys, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mixer9

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good choice.

Make sure you get to see a Metallic White next to a normal White, I ended up changing to the normal White, but only when I saw real examples.

The steering is perfectly usable at parking speeds without Power Plus, it makes senses on a Cayenne/Panamera. Personal preference really and depends whether it's just you using the car.

I have 2-zone and have never used it side-to-side... However, there is something annoying about having 'blank' buttons in the dash area...

Seat heating, can't comment as I have the buckets, but every time I've used heated seats in a car when its really cold they've been lovely.

Telephone module - the normal Bluetooth phone connectivity works really well, I think the Telephone module is just another hassle when you consider that you'll still wish to be using other features on your own phone in the car anyway (when it is safe to do so, of course).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not sure what is standard equipment in Japan, but if its the same as in the U.S., I'd strongly suggest the GTS interior package. It lifts the interior to a level that befits a car of this price range and excellence. Also, in the U.S. we have a choice of infotainment packages. Not saying that the Burmester isn't great (I had it in my 991 Turbo S), but the mechanical and exhaust sounds of the GTS are so intoxicating, I would just go for the Bose. More fun to listen to the sounds this car makes, imo.

I agree about ditching the power steering plus, again, had it in the turbo, but that car weighs almost 600 lbs more than the GTS.

If you want to be amazed (and a bit poorer), there is the ceramic brakes. No brake dust, but in an emergency stop, watch out for that guy behind you who doesn't have them. :eek:!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Skip the power steering. You really don't need it.

I'd get the heated seats in Tokyo. They are nice.

Everything else looks great.

Reactions: sdj

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some thoughts in bold below.
ii. Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor - I had dimming mirrors in my Lexus RX about 10 years back and they were nice but I'm on the fence with this option. Personally speaking, the benefit of this option is the rain sensor more than the dimming mirrors. I love being able to concentrate on the drive without having to fiddle with wiper speeds, especially when the rain can't make its mind up.

iv. 2-zone automatic air conditioning - do you really need 2 zone in such a small cabin space? IIRC the issue is more that, without the 2 zone, there's no climate control. Which would be unbelievably cheap in a car of this price.

vi. Telephone module - would this be a recommended feature or would the noise of the cabin make this difficult to use? In the UK, it's illegal to use a telephone handset while driving. So you at least need Preparation for Mobile Phone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good choice.

Make sure you get to see a Metallic White next to a normal White, I ended up changing to the normal White, but only when I saw real examples.

The steering is perfectly usable at parking speeds without Power Plus, it makes senses on a Cayenne/Panamera. Personal preference really and depends whether it's just you using the car.

I have 2-zone and have never used it side-to-side... However, there is something annoying about having 'blank' buttons in the dash area...

Seat heating, can't comment as I have the buckets, but every time I've used heated seats in a car when its really cold they've been lovely.

Telephone module - the normal Bluetooth phone connectivity works really well, I think the Telephone module is just another hassle when you consider that you'll still wish to be using other features on your own phone in the car anyway (when it is safe to do so, of course).
Bausee, I saw the metallic white on a 911 at the showroom and matched the normal white panel against it. Surprisingly the metallic white was brighter, however this was under lights. Will go back during the day and test again. I agree the heated seats would be a nice touch and very cosy.

Not sure what is standard equipment in Japan, but if its the same as in the U.S., I'd strongly suggest the GTS interior package. It lifts the interior to a level that befits a car of this price range and excellence. Also, in the U.S. we have a choice of infotainment packages. Not saying that the Burmester isn't great (I had it in my 991 Turbo S), but the mechanical and exhaust sounds of the GTS are so intoxicating, I would just go for the Bose. More fun to listen to the sounds this car makes, imo.

I agree about ditching the power steering plus, again, had it in the turbo, but that car weighs almost 600 lbs more than the GTS.

If you want to be amazed (and a bit poorer), there is the ceramic brakes. No brake dust, but in an emergency stop, watch out for that guy behind you who doesn't have them. :eek:!
Photonscience, could you comment more on the difference between the standard and GTS interior? The stitching doesn't make any difference to me, however I have to admit the carbon was very nice. Is the passenger's dash covered in leather with the GTS package?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Most of the option choices are really up to you. I love heated seats, but I can't know whether you'll find value in them or not.

The one thing I wanted to clarify is the point that PerrinAybara made above about the climate control. Don't be misled by the whole "2-zone" thing. You're right in that having 2 zones is rather pointless in a car of this size... but that's the only way to get the automatic climate control and that's a feature you'll want. The difference is that without it you need to manually set your fan speed and which vents are active and turn it up and down yourself to get the result you want. With the automatic climate control you can just tell it the temperature you want and it will handle the details by itself.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The one thing I wanted to clarify is the point that PerrinAybara made above about the climate control. Don't be misled by the whole "2-zone" thing. You're right in that having 2 zones is rather pointless in a car of this size... but that's the only way to get the automatic climate control and that's a feature you'll want. .
What? You mean Porsche will bundle options together so you have to buy more than you want to get the features you want? Outrageous!:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the option choices are really up to you. I love heated seats, but I can't know whether you'll find value in them or not.

The one thing I wanted to clarify is the point that PerrinAybara made above about the climate control. Don't be misled by the whole "2-zone" thing. You're right in that having 2 zones is rather pointless in a car of this size... but that's the only way to get the automatic climate control and that's a feature you'll want. The difference is that without it you need to manually set your fan speed and which vents are active and turn it up and down yourself to get the result you want. With the automatic climate control you can just tell it the temperature you want and it will handle the details by itself.
Thanks Wild Weasel and PerrinAybara, will get the auto climate control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Burmester is nice, and is difficult to tell people whether or not to get it.

The easiest way I can explain it is that IF you are an audiophile (i.e. you've put aftermarket audio into your previous cars and you're really into the subject), then you will likely be disappointed by the Burmester - aftermarket is still better for the money you save.

If you're NOT an audiophile, and you're happy to spend the money, you'll find the Burmester incredible and noticeably better than the Bose.

On balance, I wish I had not got the Burmester and put money towards the Ceramics.

It is a 'shame' to not get the GTS interior, it really is a standpoint and exclusive option on the GTS.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Burmester is nice, and is difficult to tell people whether or not to get it.

The easiest way I can explain it is that IF you are an audiophile (i.e. you've put aftermarket audio into your previous cars and you're really into the subject), then you will likely be disappointed by the Burmester - aftermarket is still better for the money you save.

If you're NOT an audiophile, and you're happy to spend the money, you'll find the Burmester incredible and noticeably better than the Bose.

On balance, I wish I had not got the Burmester and put money towards the Ceramics.

It is a 'shame' to not get the GTS interior, it really is a standpoint and exclusive option on the GTS.

Well if you call being an audiophile having Marigo Audio speaker and power cables, then I just may be :)

I'd love to know the difference between the standard interior and the GTS interior, what makes it so special? I love the carbon fibre, however the stitching and red dial are not so important. Is there extended leather or something that makes it so unique. Please note this car will be a daily driver, along with a Lexus RX which has creature comforts.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
What? You mean Porsche will bundle options together so you have to buy more than you want to get the features you want? Outrageous!:)
LOL. This is the only reason I don't have the light design package. :D

This one's really a matter of opinion. I love my interior. I think it's the highlight of my build. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd love to know the difference between the standard interior and the GTS interior, what makes it so special? I love the carbon fibre, however the stitching and red dial are not so important. Is there extended leather or something that makes it so unique. Please note this car will be a daily driver, along with a Lexus RX which has creature comforts.
Copied from US configurator:

Includes:
  • Finished in Deviated Color
    - Interior and seat stitching
    - Seat belt edging
    - "GTS" logo on headrests
    - "PORSCHE" logo and stitching in floor mats
  • Finished in Carbon Fiber
    - Dashboard decorative trim incl. cup holder trim
    - Decorative door trim
    - Center console trim
NOTE:
Only in combination with Leather Interior in Black with Alcantara®.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Purchased my 2015 GTS Cayman in august 2014.............white in color..........manual box.........no pcm..........no fancy seats..........no electrics package..........optional sport techno wheels.........sport suspension...........optional torque vectoring...........
Have had some amateur track experience in the past,gotta say this car hasn't let me down yet...........It's like driving a razor blade!!!!!!!!!!!

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Hi,

I test drove the Cayman GTS last week and was absolutely blown away by it, couldn't wipe the grin off my face. After reading watching a few reviews that mentioned the GTS was too firm, I decided to also test the base Cayman....well that myth was busted in about 10 mins of driving the base. The GTS' regular suspension is perfect and I love how the GTS has power that is immediately accessible.

Please let me know what you think of my config, any recommendations are more than welcome (this will be my first Porsche). I'd like to keep the options to a minimum if possible, but if anything is highly recommended I would love to know.

Confirmed:
Carrara White Metallic
Wheel Caps
Reversing camera incl. ParkAssist front and rear
Electric folding outside mirrors
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Smoking package

Revised:
2-zone automatic air conditioning
Seat heating - could be nice however I've never used these before. The weather in Tokyo is probably similar to NYC.

TBD:
i. 20-inch Carrera S (silver) or 20-inch Carrera Classic wheel? - I was recommended the Carrera S wheels by the dealer, as they can be repaired early with Aluminium paste. Even though I like the Classics, I tend to scrap my wheels.

ii. Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor - I had dimming mirrors in my Lexus RX about 10 years back and they were nice but I'm on the fence with this option.

iii. Power steering Plus - this kicks in below 31mph and as this will be a daily driver where I'm going to be in traffic, I don't want numb steering. Could see how this would be useful at 10mph.

iv. Telephone module - would this be a recommended feature or would the noise of the cabin make this difficult to use?

Guys, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Mixer9
The Carrera S wheels are the lightest so that is another plus.

As others, powersteering plus is not really needed. And unless you want (and your phone can) use the car's antenna, I would skip the telephone module.

·
Registered
142 Posts
1- Get normal white and dont pay the extra. I couldn't tell the difference in real world.
2- Heated seats are awesome when cold although I don't have because of my bucket seats.
3- No point in having dual zone cimate control in a small space. dont pay the extra.
4- Skip the power steering. it is already very comfortable in low speeds.
5- Carrera S wheels are my favorite and the lightest.
6- If you are not an audiophile , the base audio is good enough. who needs music any way with that flat six behind your back?

==> This will make the best value for your money. (and least depretiation)

Good luck :)

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Why did nobody told him to ditch power steering???

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

When you wrote, "The GTS' regular suspension is perfect...", what were you referring to? In the USA, the "standard" GTS suspension is PASM, with the option of X73, sport suspension. If the car you test drove had PASM and you had it in the non-sport mode, I would not be at all surprised if you found it to be "not too firm", since that is how it is designed. If the GTS you test drove and what you want is the X73, be sure that your option list includes that substitution.

Of course, if the Japanese configurator has totally different options or defaults, please ignore this comment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1- Get normal white and dont pay the extra. I couldn't tell the difference in real world.
2- Heated seats are awesome when cold although I don't have because of my bucket seats.
3- No point in having dual zone cimate control in a small space. dont pay the extra.
4- Skip the power steering. it is already very comfortable in low speeds.
5- Carrera S wheels are my favorite and the lightest.
6- If you are not an audiophile , the base audio is good enough. who needs music any way with that flat six behind your back?

==> This will make the best value for your money. (and least depretiation)

Good luck :)

Agreed with all the points above, though this car without climate control would be strange. Will check other cars out at the dealer to see how this is handled in dash.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts