Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this car 4 months, then a couple of weeks ago I noticed this while washing it , but its getting worst, drivers side (picture) is the worst the other light is not as bad. They look like tiny cracks, is this a common problem, Car was always garaged by previous owner I don’t keep it garaged but is always covered. Solutions, suggestions?

BTW I just left a PPF dealer thinking it was the PPF since car has the whole front clip done but they tell me it doesn’t have PPF on the lights.

Helmet Automotive design Hood Automotive lighting Peripheral

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Google "Porsche headlight crazing" and you will find complaints over multiple years and models with this known issue. Its the UV protective coating that has deteriorated and crinkling up. Some have progressively sanded the lenses down to a final polish with good results, but its labor intensive and you will need to have some other protection put back on when done.

Its also possible to buy replacement lenses copies from China, but again very labor intensive to remove the originals which are glued on with RTV adhesive, and some dont have the stomach to start Dremeling on the lights.

The final option is to replace at the tune of $1,800 per light and possibly have the same thing happen again in a few years as they still have the issue today even on the newer 718 models. You will learn a lot reading the threads that come up in the Google search

Keep an eye on your door panel tops, as that is another source of bad Porsche adhesive and the top portion can separate from the substrate underneath and bow up. Many that have the light issues also suffer from this eventually as well as the glue holding the headliner fabric up coming undone. One theory is that hot climates cause this issue to occur, however there are those that have also had the same issues when this isnt the case. It sucks because these are things that no one has to worry about on practically any other car no matter how cheap

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Not Happy to read that ICNU, especially since my Ford lights are 100 % clear at 10.5 years but it's always garaged too.
Yeah, all of these expensive issues are not acceptable for a car in this price range, however almost all of the issues seem to revolve around adhesives breaking down of some sort, and the theory is its the "environmental friendly" glues that Germany now uses on their cars which is crap

There is even an issue with the glue that holds the glass in turning into a liquid goo and running all over the place. I have the issue on the front glass of my 14MY, and it spreads all over the paint like tar if not careful when washing. There were images from one user on Rennlist with a relatively new GT3 model, and his had run down the base of the glass under the plastic frunk cover, and his rear glass seal was also melting. Really not cool after dropping more than $150K for a car!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google "Porsche headlight crazing" and you will find complaints over multiple years and models with this known issue. Its the UV protective coating that has deteriorated and crinkling up. Some have progressively sanded the lenses down to a final polish with good results, but its labor intensive and you will need to have some other protection put back on when done.

Its also possible to buy replacement lenses copies from China, but again very labor intensive to remove the originals which are glued on with RTV adhesive, and some dont have the stomach to start Dremeling on the lights.

The final option is to replace at the tune of $1,800 per light and possibly have the same thing happen again in a few years as they still have the issue today even on the newer 718 models. You will learn a lot reading the threads that come up in the Google search

Keep an eye on your door panel tops, as that is another source of bad Porsche adhesive and the top portion can separate from the substrate underneath and bow up. Many that have the light issues also suffer from this eventually as well as the glue holding the headliner fabric up coming undone. One theory is that hot climates cause this issue to occur, however there are those that have also had the same issues when this isnt the case. It sucks because these are things that no one has to worry about on practically any other car no matter how cheap
Thanks for you reply, I had heard of light issues with Porsches but I thought it was resolved. Years back I had a shop and the guy at the body shop next door would sand them down smooth and clear coated them with paint, with great results, don’t know if in this case that could be done.
I just contacted a really good detailer recommended by a friend and he is going to have a look. My biggest surprise is how is went from perfect to what you see in less than a month.
Im aware of other issues like the headliner, that one doesn’t concern me much as one of my best friend has an auto upholstery shop and he will take care of it for me, and for the door panels this car has the full leather package and was told by the dealer those don’t have the door panel issue. Im waiting to finish some juggling around so I can keep this car in the garage, but that going to take another month or so. My plan is to keep this car for a long time so I might have to bite the bullet at some point and get lights since the car is otherwise nearly perfect with only 25k.
Ill post back what the detailer tells me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Great that you have access to some helpful resources. The "leather doesnt warp" is a myth. I'm personally aware of three leather cars that have already had the issue. Its the glue that lets loose under the foam material, and also the plastic substrate material that its all glued to breaks in the corners further allowing everything to warp upward

This has no bearing on the material that happens to be on top of the foam. The corners of the substrate are already purposefully made weak to break away for the curtain air bag that is under the panel to deploy up along the glass, so there is more than one failure mode going on with the panel issue

I think its just that there are far more standard interior cars our there, so the illusion is that it doesnt happen on leather because there are just fewer cars optioned that way, plus the number of folks that we see complaining on a forum about it is just a tiny fraction of Porsche owners to begin with. It's a correlation = causation fallacy

Good news is there is a well known guy with a shop that specializes in repairing that issue and comes with a warranty for the work all at a small cost vs the 3-4K that Porsche will quote to replace them. Just ship him the panels and get them back better than new. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great that you have access to some helpful resources. The "leather doesnt warp" is a myth. I'm personally aware of three leather cars that have already had the issue. Its the glue that lets loose under the foam material, and also the plastic substrate material that its all glued to breaks in the corners further allowing everything to warp upward

This has no bearing on the material that happens to be on top of the foam. The corners of the substrate are already purposefully made weak to break away for the curtain air bag that is under the panel to deploy up along the glass, so there is more than one failure mode going on with the panel issue

I think its just that there are far more standard interior cars our there, so the illusion is that it doesnt happen on leather because there are just fewer cars optioned that way, plus the number of folks that we see complaining on a forum about it is just a tiny fraction of Porsche owners to begin with. It's a correlation = causation fallacy

Good news is there is a well known guy with a shop that specializes in repairing that issue and comes with a warranty for the work all at a small cost vs the 3-4K that Porsche will quote to replace them. Just ship him the panels and get them back better than new. Good luck!
Hopefully the issue with the panel doesn’t happen but if it does the same guy that fixes the headliner will take care of it for me, if youre in the South Fl area this guy is probably the best in Miami, he does Porsche interior restorations that looks better than factory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That car is so beautiful! What did the detailer do to restore the lights?
The paint was in really good shape but he corrected the normal oxidation cause by time, corrected the PPF on the front clip and generally did a detail job. The lights he sanded and buffed to shine, they are not 100% I would say 80% but a huge improvement and I can live with that for now, they looks great, in some angles in some light you see a little bit degradation but you have to look for it. Eventually I know Ill have to replace them but not for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts