Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wonder if BGTS owners with PSE can tell me whether the exhaust crackles and burbles at all with PSE off? Exploring potentially replacing the 987.2 with 981 BS or BGTS, but neither my wife nor I like the crackling/burbling of PSE. If the crackling isn't entirely eliminated when PSE is off, it takes the GTS off the table.

Reactions: Alpha.GT4

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
FWIW, my CS with PSE still makes some of those noises on over-run with PSE turned off. But it is too little, so I have to turn it on every time I fire it up.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
FWIW, my CS with PSE still makes some of those noises on over-run with PSE turned off. But it is too little, so I have to turn it on every time I fire it up.
What he said. Except replace the "C" with the "B".

Reactions: rjpeaks

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer. No BGTS for us.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Instead of listening to us, I recommend that you find a PSE equipped car locally. I know there are some others in Alberta (and I know it is a big province ;) ). I for myself on my BS do not find the exhaust overly crackling and popping unless I am in Sport and S+ mode.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Yeah... I don't have much experience... but I definitely recall hitting the PSE button expressly for the extra noises when shifting. While there may be some when it's "off", I wouldn't let that stop you from getting it. If it's there, then it's pretty minimal. Maybe contact your local PCA region to see if someone has one and will take you out for a ride?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all due respect, if you don't like the glorious sounds that PSE makes, perhaps you're looking at the wrong make and model for you.
The GTS has other standard features that we would add as part of a BS build, so cost-wise a case can be made for getting a GTS becuase it already has options we would order anyway, plus you get the small HP bump. I know most people like PSE...I love it on my Carrera GTS, but not the latest version on 991s/981s that introduced the burble/crackling.

Dealer here doesn't have much Boxster inventory right now. I know the only 981 GTS they have is in the showroom; but I'll ping my SA to see if they have a BS on the lot with PSE.

·
Registered
166 Posts
With my PSE off, minor burbling, but no crackling or popping. That really shouldn't stop you from a GTS....to many other pluses.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Wonder if BGTS owners with PSE can tell me whether the exhaust crackles and burbles at all with PSE off? Exploring potentially replacing the 987.2 with 981 BS or BGTS, but neither my wife nor I like the crackling/burbling of PSE. If the crackling isn't entirely eliminated when PSE is off, it takes the GTS off the table.
You don't want one w/o PSE, it's really quiet, it's a sports car, it should sound like one. I'm picking up an AWE exhaust for a bit more sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I notice no crackling etc when in normal mode - just smooth, seamless, gear changes. However, if you totally cane it ,the software takes over and gives you the torque kick at the red line and racing downshifts if you apply the anchors hard. So it can be quiet - but can also give you GTS mode if your right foot asks for it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. Audi, BMW, and MB also make fine cars, and almost all of them are quiet.
Not looking for quiet...just not the burbling/crackling exhaust noises that current PSE makes. Last gen PSE rocked.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I notice no crackling etc when in normal mode - just smooth, seamless, gear changes. However, if you totally cane it ,the software takes over and gives you the torque kick at the red line and racing downshifts if you apply the anchors hard. So it can be quiet - but can also give you GTS mode if your right foot asks for it.

Hope this helps.
Yep...that's helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Not looking for quiet...just not the burbling/crackling exhaust noises that current PSE makes. Last gen PSE rocked.
You can actually control the crackling and burbling in normal mode. It depends on how you drive, how aggressive you are with the throttle on and off etc and what rpm you are letting off the gas. I would go out and drive one and experiment.

For me, I prefer to put it in sport + mode, PSE on with a hot exhaust pipe and then ring it out in first gear to 3500 rpm and let off the gas. It sounds like a warzone behind me......but hey, that is just me. To each his own. lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
I took my CGTS out for a short drive today. Weather something different today -> sun and ~32 degrees!! :banana:

Keep in mind that I have ~200 miles on the car so I'm trying to keep under 4k rpm. :kiss: At startup, car defaults to no PSE, Sport or Sport+. You can press PSE button in this mode, if you desire. If you press Sport or Sport+ you'll automatically get PSE. However, it appears that, in these modes you can cancel the PSE by pressing the PSE button. At least that is my impression while not pushing the car too much.

If you bought a GTS, I'm pretty sure that the PSE could be deactivated by the dealer if you wished.:confused:

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I had a 2014 with PSE..when off there was minimal noise..I have to admit that I do find PSE a little over the top,but it is nice..I just got a 991S and the engine/exhaust is really good without PSE..I would consider an aftermarket option at some point but would pass on PSE..I also feel that the 981 needs something because its just too quiet without anything..there is really no engine noise..I do think the GTS sounds good with PSE,mainly because the 981 needs something!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not owner, but have driven it on track many times. Yes it does...a little. Its more of a blurb than a crackle. It seems that the volume when PSE is on doesn't increase much, but the crackles do.

So with PSE off, it does crackburble, its not a CRACK, its in between a crack and a burble. Its not annoying (And I am not a fan of crackles)

I would say that if thats the only thing holding you back with the GTS, then get it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts