Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I took my CGTS out for a short drive today. Weather something different today -> sun and ~32 degrees!! :banana:

Keep in mind that I have ~200 miles on the car so I'm trying to keep under 4k rpm. :kiss: At startup, car defaults to no PSE, Sport or Sport+. You can press PSE button in this mode, if you desire. If you press Sport or Sport+ you'll automatically get PSE. However, it appears that, in these modes you can cancel the PSE by pressing the PSE button. At least that is my impression while not pushing the car too much.

If you bought a GTS, I'm pretty sure that the PSE could be deactivated by the dealer if you wished.:confused:
That is correct.

Reactions: DBJH

·
Registered
736 Posts
The GTS has other standard features that we would add as part of a BS build, so cost-wise a case can be made for getting a GTS becuase it already has options we would order anyway, plus you get the small HP bump. I know most people like PSE...I love it on my Carrera GTS, but not the latest version on 991s/981s that introduced the burble/crackling.

Dealer here doesn't have much Boxster inventory right now. I know the only 981 GTS they have is in the showroom; but I'll ping my SA to see if they have a BS on the lot with PSE.
I recently test drove a Boxster S (not GTS, sorry), equipped with PSE. Like you, I really dislike the fake pops and burbles when off the gas, it sounds too much like showing off (to the poster who suggested maybe this is the wrong car for the OP just because of his distaste for PSE... sorry, I disagree). The S with the PSE off was exactly what I wanted. Loud when you go, and a more normal noise when you left off. I can't see why the PSE in the GTS would be any different.

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
look at my video i made..
Damn! I feel even worse for you guys now. PSE is sad compared to the Borla 981 exhaust. I have so many more burbles than that.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I recently test drove a Boxster S (not GTS, sorry), equipped with PSE. Like you, I really dislike the fake pops and burbles when off the gas, it sounds too much like showing off (to the poster who suggested maybe this is the wrong car for the OP just because of his distaste for PSE... sorry, I disagree). The S with the PSE off was exactly what I wanted. Loud when you go, and a more normal noise when you left off. I can't see why the PSE in the GTS would be any different.
Haha! Don't go drive a Jaguar F-Type V8 S then. Sounds like machine gun fire when you let off the throttle at 6k rpm. Absolutely glorious. I drove around town rev'ing the F-Type from 6k to 3k then 6k to 3k on repeat so many times that the check engine light came on. Hah!

·
Registered
602 Posts
My '13 BS has PSE and without Sport or Sport+ it's louder, but doesn't crackle unless really hammering on it, then it's minor. In Sports+ it's a different story.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
My Cayman S crackles and pops a little with PSE turned off, so I have to turn it on every time I drive it to get more of those glorious sounds!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Haha! Don't go drive a Jaguar F-Type V8 S then. Sounds like machine gun fire when you let off the throttle at 6k rpm. Absolutely glorious. I drove around town rev'ing the F-Type from 6k to 3k then 6k to 3k on repeat so many times that the check engine light came on. Hah!
I was invited to a VIP launch party of the F-type up in the mountains. The local authorities were informed about the event. We drove in the twisty mountains and that crackle and pop echoed throughout the mountains. The sound was addictive. I couldn't stop rev'ing it. Fun times and the exhaust note was amazing.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So...it sounds like the popping/crackling/burbling is "minor" in a 981 S/GTS when PSE is "off." I'll get some seat time over the next while in a PSE-equipped BS to see if I could live with "minor."

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
And on my CS this audio bliss is accentuated by turning on the Sport mode. My hunch is Porsche richens the mixture and air a bit on over-run to add some fuel for extra pizazz in the Sport mode. I love it, and always turn on the Sport mode along with the PSE every time I drove it, for the most fun available.
I realize some of u folks are getting old and sedate, but I'm only 70, and I look for all the Sport action I can get!!

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Based on that video It seems that maybe the restrictive headers is what makes the pops? Schell's car has PSE and sport headers, Schell's yellow cayman has much less pops. I don't like pops.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

Reactions: gcurnew
21 - 34 of 34 Posts