Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's true. The car will yell at you and never stop if you put it into neutral with the engine off. :hilarious:

My 981 is currently hibernating in my garage, all clean, waiting for some warmer weather. I have it in neutral so I can roll it half a wheel rotation every week or so to discourage flat spotting on the tires.

But when you have it in neutral with the engine off, the interior gong keeps going off and there's the prompt telling you to move the shifter back to Park.

Anyone else experience this? As I figured, the battery eventually ran out of juice as I went to start it after it was in neutral for about 10 days and the TFT display lit up about 100 warnings with every fail message there could possibly be. I knew it was just low on battery so I plugged in a battery tender and started it the next day with no problems or error messages.

Right now I've got it in neutral (and popped the key out by pushing the little button next to it) and it's locked, with a wheel chok under the passenger side rear wheel and hooked up to a battery tender. Guessing the battery tender will compensate for the gong going off so the battery never drains.

But I just thought it was interesting that you can't have this car in neutral when the engine is off without also having it on a battery tender.

·
Registered
507 Posts
A lot of cars do things like this now-a-days. My audi A4 screams at me if i have the headlights on auto mode and have the door open. It screams and says "Lights on and Door open". welll....yeah, I'm driving and I opened my door (to get to an ATM or something), no need to yell at me.

They should just let us put our cars how we like, we know what we're doing (most of the time)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Little button? I never noticed one.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Waste of time and effort!
Last winter I let my 981 sit for two then three months without touching it in Park, locked, no battery tender.
Started fine and when it finally left the garage after sitting from the end of October to the end of April, in one spot, no problems with flat spotting or anything else.-Richard

Reactions: Arch and Rickyb

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Waste of time and effort!
Last winter I let my 981 sit for two then three months without touching it in Park, locked, no battery tender.
Started fine and when it finally left the garage after sitting from the end of October to the end of April, in one spot, no problems with flat spotting or anything else.-Richard
Yours is PTS, maybe that's the reason ;)

PS Love your car's color.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Score one more for team 6MT! I leave my car in neutral all the time, as long as I'm not parked on an incline.
QFT! It's simply an audio reminder that you got the wrong transmission......

Reactions: Kaxon

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
As budrichard says above, flat spots on newer radials are no longer an issue. Should they develop (and I've yet to see it with 9-month stretches without movement), they are pretty widely reported to disappear after driving a few miles. Put the car in Park and there's no need to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
When I test drove BMWs, almost all of them had 'flat spots' from sitting on 100+ degree concrete parking lot for weeks without being driven, so I know the problem. The cars would vibrate weird, but that would go away after driving a bit. They had run flat tires so maybe that had something to do with it...not sure.

·
Registered
851 Posts
That is one thing I don't like about the PDK, it doesn't like you being in neutral. It makes it awkward to roll it around the garage, like on and off scales.

You don't have to leave it in neutral, I worked out how to do this with the aid of a broomstick.
1. Roll down driver's window
2. Turn key to on.
3. Poke broomstick to press brake pedal.
4. Move shifter to neutral.
5. Continue to poke brake pedal and turn off parking brake.

You can now roll the car around, and reverse the operations to turn the car off. Though it makes me nervous that its not very easy to reach in and grab the parking brake so the car might roll away if I'm not careful. These days I've takes to enlisting an assistant (i.e. long suffering wife) to aid me if I want to roll the car.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Does anybody have a source they can site for no issues with flat spots on today's radials?
Nope. My mechanic said not to worry. I trusted him and left a car for 9-month spans four times. I was told I'd feel a flat spot but it would be quite brief and would be gone in well under 100 miles. Truth is I never could even feel the flat spot. I suggest calling your tire dealer or, if you get 'em from Tire Rack, ask them. If you're wondering where the "flat spot" story got started, as I understand it, tires did used to develop semi-permanent flat spots in the old days, but I don't know if "old days" means pre-radials or not.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very interesting! So Michelin Pilot Super Sports won't flat spot no matter how long they are left? Does it help that the garage is cold (stays 50-60F)? And they won't flat spot even if you don't overinflate them? Or do you still have to air up to 40PSI to prevent flat spotting?

I thought by airing up to 40PSI and rolling every couple of weeks, that's what I needed to do. But do I need to do neither of those things?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts