Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am considering a few options for my exhaust, looking for something around $2k. I have seen many videos on youtube of the borla, fabspeed supercup, AWE, PSE... But I haven't seen someone install just aftermarket headers and keeping the rest of the exhaust stock. I am curious if there is someone who have done that, if it would be a good idea power-wise especially, and how would it sound compared to a catback and stock headers...

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I have the FVD Brombacher Sport headers with my stock PSE. The sound is marvelous - slightly deeper and louder than the PSE, either on or off. These headers have larger diameter tubing, so I image the increased airflow has something to do with it. I added a Cobb AccessPort and am currently running the Stage 2 OTS map. There is a noticeable increase in HP and torque. Adding headers with a high flow cat to the stock exhaust is the perfect combo IMO.

Reactions: Black Bart

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey guys,

I am considering a few options for my exhaust, looking for something around $2k. I have seen many videos on youtube of the borla, fabspeed supercup, AWE, PSE... But I haven't seen someone install just aftermarket headers and keeping the rest of the exhaust stock. I am curious if there is someone who have done that, if it would be a good idea power-wise especially, and how would it sound compared to a catback and stock headers...
I have exactly that configuration. Fabspeed sport Headers, with OEM catback. Sounds fantastic when you step on it, but with no drone. It's also civilized when just cruising around town.

Reactions: Cayman Ed

·
Registered
710 Posts
Put your money in the headers and software to get more power. ALL of the aftermarket cat back exhausts have some form of drone, add little power on their own, and may be too loud if you are not careful. The header alone opens up the much beloved OEM Porsche flat six sound of your motor and adds more of a good thing in the mid to upper range of the engine. If you feel the need to add a cat back exhaust after the header, then do that second. You may even be able to get one second hand for much less if you are patient and check the forums.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have race headers and plan to go back to stock catback to meet track sound limits. I'll post up a video when I get to doing that. No sure how soon you're looking to pull the trigger on the mod, but it appears that based on others' feedback, you will like that combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have exactly that configuration. Fabspeed sport Headers, with OEM catback. Sounds fantastic when you step on it, but with no drone. It's also civilized when just cruising around town.
Keep in mind, if you go with race headers (no-cats), some people have reported that the smell of the exhaust comes into the car with the top down.
This is the main reason I went with sport headers with cats.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have cargraphics headers and stock exhaust and love it (my car is also an S, in racing yellow with black wheels).

The sound is slightly more aggressive, but does not sound like a Ferrari. My car is noticeable enough simply because of the color that I didn't need a really loud exhaust but I wanted a bit more aggressive and present sound -- and that's what I got. My plan was, if the headers didn't increase the sound enough for me, to get a Carnewal modified exhaust from Cantrell Motorsports but that turned out to be unnecessary.

The reason I went this route is because headers actually have a performance advantage -- much more than a modified exhaust. And, yes, I could feel the increased torque. Single best modification I did. The tune I got was not as significant in terms of power (and of course had no change in sound).

I highly recommend it!

Reactions: Cayman Ed
720 Posts
The 981 with factory PSE and some combination of a Sport Cat Header or a Catless header will sound VERY good. Power wise, the headers offer much more than a replacement catback would. Soul Performance Products has a solution for you that will meet your budget and provide you with a great sound, warranty and performance.

I've sent you a PM!

·
Registered
84 Posts
agree with all positive comments regarding headers. I installed Fabspeed Sport headers on my 16' CGTS. The added sound alone is worth the $$ plus very noticeable low end torque gains from @ 3-5K rpm. For anyone considering performance mods headers should be #1 on ur list and really a no-brainer. Added low end torque +HP, sound enhancement especially with PSE is not to be missed (a friend told me it sounds like a Cup car from behind!), and 6 lb. weight reduction with Fabspeed. It's all good!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a base 981 Cayman and I am considering getting headers. Is the power difference significant? Will aftermarket headers void the warranty?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a base 981 Cayman and I am considering getting headers. Is the power difference significant? Will aftermarket headers void the warranty?
I've been to my dealer several times and they have no problems with the headers. As long as you have a good relationship with your Service Adviser, I'd say its not a problem.
Regarding Power; I added my headers after already having a tune, but I can tell you that I would never go back to stock. The car just pulls harder.
I went with the Fabspeed headers with 200 Cell cats and the install went great; but there are several manufacturers that produce good quality stuff.

:cheers:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Barcuri:
Thanks for your post. I have visited the Fabspeed website and their products look good............Something for me to think about.

Reactions: barcuri

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have race headers and plan to go back to stock catback to meet track sound limits. I'll post up a video when I get to doing that. No sure how soon you're looking to pull the trigger on the mod, but it appears that based on others' feedback, you will like that combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you sure the stock exhaust will get you back into compliance? I've seen several videos where race headers and stock exhaust are still hitting 110db from 50 ft back. You might have to get down-turned tips to redirect the sound.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does anybody have catless headers with non-PSE cayman PDK? Does it drone and any sound improvement?
I have catless headers with an aftermarket PSE-like exhaust. The headers are not the creator of drone, rather, it is the exhaust system. Catless headers will increase the sound volume overall though. So if you have a little bit of drone today when driving up a hill, it will be slightly louder with the catless headers.... but the good sounds will be louder too!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just curious how you pass state inspection without cats?

I have catless headers with an aftermarket PSE-like exhaust. The headers are not the creator of drone, rather, it is the exhaust system. Catless headers will increase the sound volume overall though. So if you have a little bit of drone today when driving up a hill, it will be slightly louder with the catless headers.... but the good sounds will be louder too!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just curious how you pass state inspection without cats?
So, I haven't crossed that bridge yet. I got the headers shortly after I got inspection. Theoretically, in the county, I live, there is no way I can legally pass inspection.

·
Registered
204 Posts
How much of a pain will it be for you to swap the stop headers back for the purpose of inspection?
That would be so much of a pain that I bother with swapping. I'm actually getting different headers on Monday.. so as of right now it's become a moot point for me, personally.

I'm going to be careful not to break any forum rules, but I can assure you that if you that there are other cars in my area with race headers that have valid emissions stickers. I'll let you read between the lines. *In Forrest Gump voice* "That's all I have to say about that"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.