Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S GT Silver over expresso
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In March, I purchased a 2014 Cayman S CPO. Marvelous car! My nicest vehicle ever. This is the first one I have owned with a High Beam Assist function which no longer works. Here is reader’s digest version of my situation.

I recently had my car serviced and High Bean Assist no longer works. The dealer is saying my car isn't configured with High Beam Assist function (VIN configuration check shows I have PDLS, not PDLS+) even though I have been using it for 8 months. My understanding is that a camera located on the back (front of the car) side of the rear view mirror is unique to the High Beam Assist function.

I need two pictures from the community to help me plead my case that my car is uniquely configured for High Beam Assist (has the camera on the back, from the front of the car, of the rear view mirror) so I can convince them to re-enable the High Beam Assist function.

Can two members each post a clear picture of the back of their mirror for a:
1. PDLS equipped 981, and
2. PDLS+ equipped 981?

Please note which configuration (PDLS or PDLS+) you have with your picture post.

If there is other information that would be helpful in convincing the dealer that my car is appropriately configured for High Beam Assist, please let me know what it is.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide! If I'm successful, I own you a beer (or wine, or cocktail - or iced tea, your preference). Lou

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
High Beam Assist (PDLS Plus) is in the owners manual.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Your car obviously didn't come from the factory with it, and that's your main problem. It's possible all PDLS cars already have the hardware for it, but you must purchase the option to be coded, like Suncoast does with 'Power Steering Plus'. Without the original (or previous) owner's input, it's hard to know what happened. But to answer your question, you should post a picture of yours from inside and outside the windshield, and any of us PDLS owners can tell you right away if ours look like that or not. There's no camera on mine, but PDLS+ could use the same sensor already visible from outside the windshield (not a camera), since there's a round sensor most likely for the rain-sensing wipers, but also a little 'flash-like' LED that could be what operates PDLS+. You need to investigate further. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
In March, I purchased a 2014 Cayman S CPO. Marvelous car! My nicest vehicle ever. This is the first one I have owned with a High Beam Assist function which no longer works. Here is reader’s digest version of my situation.

I recently had my car serviced and High Bean Assist no longer works. The dealer is saying my car isn't configured with High Beam Assist function (VIN configuration check shows I have PDLS, not PDLS+) even though I have been using it for 8 months. My understanding is that a camera located on the back (front of the car) side of the rear view mirror is unique to the High Beam Assist function.

I need two pictures from the community to help me plead my case that my car is uniquely configured for High Beam Assist (has the camera on the back, from the front of the car, of the rear view mirror) so I can convince them to re-enable the High Beam Assist function.

Can two members each post a clear picture of the back of their mirror for a:
1. PDLS equipped 981, and
2. PDLS+ equipped 981?

Please note which configuration (PDLS or PDLS+) you have with your picture post.

If there is other information that would be helpful in convincing the dealer that my car is appropriately configured for High Beam Assist, please let me know what it is.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide! If I'm successful, I own you a beer (or wine, or cocktail - or iced tea, your preference). Lou
The camera is not actually part of the rear view mirror You can see the trapezoidal port for it in first picture of my car and can see the camera peeking out in the second. 2016 981CS with PDLS+

If you win, I like scotch!

Transport Architecture Automotive exterior Material property Tints and shades

Vehicle door Sky Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks a bunch for both your responses! I’m getting my car back in the morning. Ill post a pick. But, based on on OttawaSteve’s pic, i’ve lost...

I’ll get over it.

Lou

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
My car looks just like OttawaSteve, but without the trapeziodal light sensor. So that option obviously needs separate hardware, and it's not part of the mirror; it's part of a 'console' glued to the windshield, where the mirror hangs. Plus I'm sure it must have its own control module. Not an easy thing to retrofit. Anyway, the better question is how the hell were you getting PDLS+ functionality without the feature???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife and I are asking ourselves the same question...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my car back last Fri. I had a great time at a Pacific Raceway drivers clinic on Saturday.

Thought I’d post a picture of my mirror to close this out. What I thought was the camera is a rain sensor. See picture a few posts back for the adaptive headlight camera. Thanks for all your help.

Lou

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.