Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Is my second 981CS..The first one had 4000 miles on it .The the water pump needed to be replaced at 2000 miles( not great) . This one only has 600 miles on it,so we'll see. Carl

·
Registered
358 Posts
My 2015 Cayman GTS has only 750 miles.

So far, one significant issue: a bad thermostat at 120 miles (replaced under warranty). Fortunately, it was stuck open, so no damage done.

There are some minor issues: a rattle from the passenger side visor, condensation at the edges of the tail lights (seems common), occasionally clunky manual shifter (seems common), nav map going blank (happened once - probably a software bug), paint is thinner than expected at 3.8 mil (seems common), factory sanding marks on the paint by the intakes (had this corrected at my expense), side mirrors have some cloudy haze in some areas of the reflector plastic which is evident in direct light, brakes were squeaky initially, but fine now.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
2013 981 had 26,000 miles....squeaking noise coming from the front end under certain conditions...determined to be fuel tank rubbing. No other issues.

2015 981 has about 3,000 miles....flawless.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
2013 Boxster S 11,000 Klm.

Replaced the Oil Separator. Most likely a problem with my plenum mods.
They are still trying to track down a slow A/C refrigerant leak. Been searching for about 4 months now.

Otherwise goes like clockwork.

·
Registered
253 Posts
2014 981 CS delivered June 2013 - Now at 10,500 miles - had PDK re-calibrated to correct occasional hesitation from stop (didn't really work). Hesitation now mostly gone (weird)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
13,500 miles on my 2014 981BS and no issues. I don't expect any for the first 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
300 miles. Issues:
1. condensation in tail lights. Talking to dealer about it, but I am getting the feeling that I will be told that it is 'normal'.
2. It sucks taking delivery of a convertible when it is 25 degrees outside! But hey, that's what hats are for

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Two year service history: one interior trim piece on the right side door loosened and snapped off the seat back adjustment lever. Both the lever and the trim piece have been replaced.

No mechanical or electrical issues at all.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great information,Let's keep it going! Valuable for current and new owners plus those considering a purchase. This is the value a fourm should provide . The sharing of useful information for the benefit of the members. Thanks carl

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I 'think' maybe my water pump is dying due to sounds that started at 3k miles. They come and go so not sure yet. I'll have it looked at during the next oil change or if the sound gets worse. Maybe it will go away. I noticed some weird sounds that went away and maybe normal part of break-in.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I 'think' maybe my water pump is dying due to sounds that started at 3k miles. They come and go so not sure yet. I'll have it looked at during the next oil change or if the sound gets worse. Maybe it will go away. I noticed some weird sounds that went away and maybe normal part of break-in.
I posted a video of mine and the noise it made when It was failing, maybe helpful? The symptom I had was a squealing noise at idle. It would go away with any increase in RPMs. I know there was one or two other 981 water pumps that failed relatively early. Also check the number on the old and new pump the new one has a different part number. I think it ended in 02 versus 01.What is the build date of your car? Mine was 8/13 .Carl

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have 2300mi and no real problems. With top up I get a VERY slight wind noise at back of driver's window. Also the top mechanism cover can occasionally have a rattle with the top up. This is the flap that lifts when the top goes up or down. When top is up, it rests against the inside of the top pretty snugly but occasionally will vibrate a bit.

Otherwise the car is solid and I'm happy as can be. Driving it improves my mood no matter the situation.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I posted a video of mine and the noise it made when It was failing, maybe helpful? The symptom I had was a squealing noise at idle. It would go away with any increase in RPMs. I know there was one or two other 981 water pumps that failed relatively early. Also check the number on the old and new pump the new one has a different part number. I think it ended in 02 versus 01.What is the build date of your car? Mine was 8/13 .Carl
Yea I saw the video. Mine was so much the same it was scary.

Build was 7/13. Yea think you probably nailed my waterpump coffin ><

It doesn't always make the sound though so maybe there is hope.

I know it can be fixed, but don't like getting my car taken apart. My understanding is the water pump is a huge pain to replace.

·
Registered
911 Posts
2013 Boxster - 2 years & 22,000 miles.

The only mechanical issue was an oil leak after the first oil change necessitating a replacement oil pan. Car was at the dealer's overnight while I drove a nice 2014 Cayman loaner.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I saw the video. Mine was so much the same it was scary.

Build was 7/13. Yea think you probably nailed my waterpump coffin ><

It doesn't always make the sound though so maybe there is hope.

I know it can be fixed, but don't like getting my car taken apart. My understanding is the water pump is a huge pain to replace.
Its like a 3 hour job. You really need to have it replaced because it will either start to leak or the bearing that is making noise can seize . carl

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
2014BS, 11 months, 6000 mi: seat memory failure, wiring harness replaced. Rattle when top down, fixed. Check engine light on for two days, then off, dealer blamed loose gas cap. Grin stuck on my face, won't leave.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
2013 BS .... bought used with 16k, have put another 1k on it ... haven't noticed any problems yet.....

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
2014 CS purchased in August 2013. Now 7000 miles and no problems. However, at one time I was in manual mode with the PDK while turning onto a street. My speed was about 10 or 15 mph and I believe the PDK upshifted from second gear to third by itself while in manual mode. I haven't experienced this since nor have I been able to replicate it. The car has been flawless. Love it! Jason

·
Registered
537 Posts
3400 miles. The only problem is it goes too fast and gets me into trouble.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts