Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically stock 2014 CS with PASM, -1.6 front camber, -1.7 rear camber.

I acquired a second set of wheels for HPDE use
8x19 and 9.5x19, with track worn RE71 rubber 235/40r19 and 265/40r19. But tire choices in those sizes are limited. Would have preferred 8.5 fronts and 10 rears but the price was right.

Considering
A. 235/35r19 and 265/35r19
B. 245/35r19 and 275/35r19

Not sure i have enough suspension clearance for option B

I have basically 1 day of HPDE under my belt.

Looking at Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (these are not available in the 40 aspect ratio tires) rubber to start before i spend more money on RE71.

Thoughts?

· Premium Member
650 Posts
I Like the Hankook Ventus R-S4, not as much grip as the R 71 but last much longer, I would rater give up a second and do more track days, I flip these on the rim after about 3 open track days, I also swap right to left and run backwards as long as it is not raining to maximize wear on the R71 and the R-S4, I run a 18 on a Cayman 987.2, not sure the best size for you.

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
958 Posts
I run the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 as daily driver tires in 245/275-35R19 on my 981 BS using OEM Porsche 19" rims. Their durability as daily driver tires is hard to beat, and I think they would last a long time on the track as well.

I normally run Nitto NT01's on 18" rims on the track, but I have run the Indy 500's on the track a few times. They would be fine for a beginner, and are comparable to the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's that were on my car when it was new. However, they can't compare to something with real grip like Nitto NT01 or Bridgestone RE71R. They place you really notice the lack of grip are the braking zones. Hard to keep the car out of ABS.

I'm giving the Ventus RS4's a try this weekend in place of my normal NT01's. Tire Rack had a great deal that was hard to pass up, and I was looking for something with a bit more longevity.

If you a newbie, running stock brake pads, and want to save a ton of cash, you would probably be fine with the Indy 500's. Once you get the itch for track brake pads, then you will want something with more grip to go with them.

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 as daily driver tires in 245/275-35R19 on my 981 BS using OEM Porsche 19" rims. Their durability as daily driver tires is hard to beat, and I think they would last a long time on the track as well.

I normally run Nitto NT01's on 18" rims on the track, but I have run the Indy 500's on the track a few times. They would be fine for a beginner, and are comparable to the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's that were on my car when it was new. However, they can't compare to something with real grip like Nitto NT01 or Bridgestone RE71R. They place you really notice the lack of grip are the braking zones. Hard to keep the car out of ABS.

I'm giving the Ventus RS4's a try this weekend in place of my normal NT01's. Tire Rack had a great deal that was hard to pass up, and I was looking for something with a bit more longevity.

If you a newbie, running stock brake pads, and want to save a ton of cash, you would probably be fine with the Indy 500's. Once you get the itch for track brake pads, then you will want something with more grip to go with them.
How is the clearance to the suspension with the 245/275 setup on the stock 19" rims? Do you use spacers?

How much clearance should I have? The 245/275 will reduce the clearance by 5mm to the front and 6mm to the rear (the track rims have 1mm different offset than my stock rims).

My current tires are Pilot Sport 4S, I will continue to use those as the daily driver tires.

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
958 Posts
How is the clearance to the suspension with the 245/275 setup on the stock 19" rims? Do you use spacers?
I do not use spacers. There is a enough space that clearance hasn't really been much of a consideration. I haven't measured it exactly, but I would guess 15mm or so at the closet point at the front shock tower. There is tons of room at the rear.

How much clearance should I have? The 245/275 will reduce the clearance by 5mm to the front and 6mm to the rear (the track rims have 1mm different offset than my stock rims).
I'm no expert in that area, but I've heard a number around 7mm should be sufficient.

Reactions: bigmoguls

· Registered
2 Posts
My tire guy put a setup together for me and I’m currently running 255/3519 on the front and 285/35 19 on the rear. 2014 base cayman. I was a bit skeptical at first but I’m running factory 19s and no spacers completely stock suspension the combo works very well. I’m running Bridgestone Potenza RE71 R. The grip is amazing I’ve had a great time running Summit point and just came back from two days at Watkins Glen. Best tire pressure is a square set up of 36 pounds all around hot.

· Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I've stated in other threads, I mounted the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, 245/35r19, 275/35r19 on 987 19" wheels. Did 3 sessions at GrandSport speedway this past Sunday. I'm am probably 7/10s capable at this time and Grandsport is a short track. The tires held up fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.