Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the 981 normally come with 1 or 2 key fobs? I got mine used and it only had 1 key fob. I'm starting to have some occasional issues with the key fob, so would like to get a second one for backup.

Does anyone know of a place you can get a 981 key fob programmed aside from the dealer. I know they have to pair the key with the ECU, so is PIWIS the only thing that will do it, or is there anything aftermarket that will pair keys to the ECU?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Yes, new cars no matter the brand always come with at least two sets of keys and always have, at least for the 37 years that I have been driving and buying them.
It’s no different than buying a house. There is always more than one set of keys because it’s assumed that more than one person may need access to it

It sounds like the previous owner either lost or kept one of the fobs when you bought it. luckily I’ve never had to replace any of my P car keys or fobs, but I hear they are very expensive if you do, as in around $400-500

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Any good locksmith can supply and program a key for you; price varies on whether want OEM or aftermarket. Way cheaper, dealer ripoff.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any good locksmith can supply and program a key for you; price varies on whether want OEM or aftermarket. Way cheaper, dealer ripoff.
I thought for the 981, you have to pair the key with the ECU and that can only be done with PIWIS?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought for the 981, you have to pair the key with the ECU and that can only be done with PIWIS?
FWIW, I have a 981 CGTS. Bought it CPO from porsche dealer 2k miles away but only came w one key. The dealer shipped me a key and i took it to local dealer to program and it cost $75 which selling dealer reimbursed me for (CPO Checklist requires 2 keys be provided). The key is definitely a Porsche part and I dont see how a local locksmith can obtain cheaper and then program. As sidenote, my son purchased a 2013 Audi Q5 last year and the broker convinced us a locksmith could provide and program a second key for “about a $100..they do it all the time”. Not the case for that car, he called multiple locksmiths in Atlanta and they said it could not be done. Our volvo fobs also had to be obtained from the dealer. I think you will just have to bite the bullet and get from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Keeping in mind also, the "key" for the 981 isnt really a key at all and is proprietary to Porsche. Very different than previous model years which had actual keyblades, albeit still with a chip in the base that needed to be programmed, but I cant see the fobs the current cars use being an off the shelf item at a locksmith

There are also several stories on the net of people trying cheaper alternatives and programming for the older 987 models, and the programming failed in many cases. It seems they use a Chinese PIWIS like tool to program that doesnt always work

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Apparently newer VW products as stated are not keys but mini computers . My point of reference and statement was based on actual keys used to start cars.
You learn something all the time

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a key from a recycler who flashed it to wipe out the program and took it to the dealer and they said they can only program a key once. My bullshit meter pegged. But what can I do, the only source was the dealer and I paid 275 for the key and 75 to program it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I understand, the key isn't programmed to talk to the ECU. The ECU is programmed to accept the key. I'm not sure how the process is performed exactly, i.e. do they press buttons on the key to pair with the ECU, or do they need a code that is provided with the new key that they scan or type into PIWIS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts