Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any recent threads on locking lug bolts for the 981. Google etc didn't help much either. Anyone know of a good supplier and/or a good set to buy? Any issues? Any advice? I'm getting ready for a road trip and want to sleep better at night..

And a bonus question for extra credit...anyone know if my Spyder wheels will have different lug bolts than other 981 models or wheels? Answer this one and you get major kudos!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought them directly from Porsche. Switched wheels 2 times after that without any issue.

I think this is the part you are looking for:

Part number: 000 044 602 30
Note for Boxster, Cayman, 911 and Panamera: For vehicles without 5 mm spacers

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any recent threads on locking lug bolts for the 981. Google etc didn't help much either. Anyone know of a good supplier and/or a good set to buy? Any issues? Any advice? I'm getting ready for a road trip and want to sleep better at night..

And a bonus question for extra credit...anyone know if my Spyder wheels will have different lug bolts than other 981 models or wheels? Answer this one and you get major kudos!
The bolts should be the same, as for locking. as has been posted, there are factory and aftermarket as well. I have been debating this since I bought the last Boxster, still haven't bought them.

Although now that I have Titanium ones on the way I may just spring for a set of locking ones to go with it, the stock ones are bit cheaper and would match in colour to what you have: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/LUGSETLOCK.html

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Won't stop a determined thief, but might deter the casual crime of opportunity one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suppose, but jacking up a car, removing lug nuts and stealing large wheels doesn't strike me as being casual.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Great, now all of the shady types will know where to order them from! :hilarious:

Won't stop a determined thief, but might deter the casual crime of opportunity one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously, I wonder if I should even bother, I suppose that $90 for a set might slow them down or piss them off so they damage things, best case they move on to easier prey...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I wouldn't bother. The bad guys can buy these too.
It's my understanding that those things require an impact wrench to bite, and almost invariably cause damage, so hardly a tool for wheel theft. Typically a last-resort option if you lost the wheel-lock key, and didn't write the key # to order another. Anyway, the ultra great majority of theves will go for the easy target, meaning a wheel set with no locks, for a quick job, and unscathed wheels/tires. It's almost crazy not to put wheel locks on a car with expensive wheels and tires, but to each his own;). I bought mine (black) from Suncoast. One on each wheel is enough to deter most thieves.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
It's my understanding that those things require an impact wrench to bite, and almost invariably cause damage, so hardly a tool for wheel theft. Typically a last-resort option if you lost the wheel-lock key, and didn't write the key # to order another. Anyway, the ultra great majority of theves will go for the easy target, meaning a wheel set with no locks, for a quick job, and unscathed wheels/tires. It's almost crazy not to put wheel locks on a car with expensive wheels and tires, but to each his own;). I bought mine (black) from Suncoast. One on each wheel is enough to deter most thieves.
Your understanding is wrong. Search Youtube. I was surprised at how easy they are to get off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your understanding is wrong. Search Youtube. I was surprised at how easy they are to get off.
I removed the locking bolts from my son's Cayman (he bought the car and it had no adaptor.) We just hammered on an impact socket just a bit too small and removed the bolts with a breaker bar.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I removed the locking bolts from my son's Cayman (he bought the car and it had no adaptor.) We just hammered on an impact socket just a bit too small and removed the bolts with a breaker bar.
Just for the reference of others, Porsche dealers have a master set which identifies the specific lock adapter, which can then be purchased. Oddly, the new adapter comes with 1 bolt as well.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the comments. Yeah, the best you can hope to do is keep honest guys honest. It just for this car or this forum, but it's usually a 50/50 opinion to buy or not bother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.