Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FEInfo - To date I have but not found within any P-9 forums, the details related to the ITEMS covered under the various stages of a 981-based Porsche Maintenance Schedule (as driven by Miles or Time since delivery).

So driven by the recent thread by Brian2781 related to service performed on his recent CPO purchase http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-service-tech/104179-should-dealer-have-performed-major-service-before-cpo-sale.html, I was motivated to compile some available information (my car booklet and some on-line sources) regarding 981 Maintenance Schedule and the ITEMS involved within each Maintenance Period.

BTW in April 2013 at LG's delivery the Service Department had the following Central PA 2013 $ prices for the service as below: A was $225 + tax; B was $465 + tax: C was $1,100 + tax.

As disclaimed below, whether what is compiled is truly reflective of the current 2015 Dealer Tech by the book TO DO list, well I guess someone needs to get a Service Department print out for the latest info. Maybe someone has access to same. Some of the simple inspection items may also be as part of any annual (BASIC) visit as part of any Dealer gratis multi-point program.

In the meantime, for what it is worth I offer the following. Anyone with comments and particularly corrections/updates to the information below, PLEASE post to make this a most useful tread.

I hope all herein might find this effort a useful reference. I typically c/p such types of info to MSWord and save in an appropriate LG folder.

:cheers:

PS - Apologize for using all the periods between columns, etc. but such seems the only way I know to (space) keep such columns aligned properly.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Probable Current PORSCHE 981 Maintenance Schedule

A--BASIC = 10, 30, 50K miles, etc or 1, 3, 5 yrs, etc
B--MINOR (intermediate) = 20, 60, 100K miles, etc or 2, 6, 10 yrs, etc
C--MAJOR = 40, 80, 120K miles, etc or 4, 8, 12 yrs, etc
D--SPECIAL 1 = 60, 100, 140K miles, etc or 6, 10, 14 yrs, etc
E--SPECIAL 2 = 120K miles or 12 yrs

----------------------------------------Maintenance Description----------------------------------------------------
A---B---C---D---E---#---(Items in RED involve PARTS at time of Porsche scheduled service)

X....X....X.................1---Diagnostic system - Read out fault memory
......X....X.................2---Underside of vehicle and engine compartment - Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and chafing of lines and hoses
......X....X.................3---Underbody covers - Visual inspection for completeness, fastening and signs of damage
......X....X.................4---Coolant hoses - Check condition
......X....X.................5---Radiators and air intakes - Visual inspection for exterior soiling and blockage
......X....X.................6---Coolant - Check level and antifreeze
X....X....X.................7---Engine - Change engine oil and oil filter
............X.................8---Engine - Replace intake filters
............X.................9---Engine - Replace spark plugs
..................X.........10---Engine - Inspect (replace?) drive belt
......X....X...............11---Particle filter - Replace cabin filter
......X....X...............12---Particle filter - Replace cabin pre-filter
......X....X...............13---Fuel system - Visual inspection for damage, correct routing and firm seating of the line connections
......X....X...............14---Parking brake - Check free play of the parking brake lever
......X....X...............15---Brake system - Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for signs of wear
......X....X...............16---Brake hoses and lines - Visual inspection for leaks, damage, correct routing and corrosion
......X....X...............17---Brakes - Replace brake fluid
......X....X...............18---Clutch as applicable - Check limit position of pedal
.......................X....19---Transmission - Change manual transmission oil or PDK transmission oil and PDK clutch oil
............X...............20---Steering gear - Visual inspection of the bellows for signs of damage
............X...............21---Tie rod ends - Check play and dust bellows
............X...............22---Axle joints - Check play with visual inspection of the dust bellows for signs of damage
............X...............23---Axle Joints - Check tightness of screw connections on the suspension adjustment system at the front and rear
......X....X...............24---Drive shafts - Visual inspection of the boots for leaks and signs of damage
............X...............25---Exhaust system - Visual inspection for leaks and signs of damage and check mounts
......X....X...............26---Tires - Check condition and tire pressure
......X....X...............27---Door locks, lid locks, safety hook and internal trunk release mechanism (trunk entrapment) of the front lid - Check to ensure that ....................................................they are adjusted correctly and function properly
......X....X...............28---Seat belts - Check function and condition
......X....X...............29---Vehicle lighting system - Check function
......X....X...............30---Headlights - Check adjustment
......X....X...............31---Horn - Check function
......X....X...............32---Windshield wiper/washer system, headlight washer - Check fluid level and nozzle adjustments, make sure to check the antifreeze ...................................................during the winter months; check wiper blades
......X....X...............33---Electrical devices as well as indicator and warning lights - Check function
......X....X...............34---Misc Systems - Check function of remote controls, front seats, foot brake and parking brake (also operating travel), engine, ...................................................clutch, steering, transmission, Park Assist, automatic speed control, PSM switch, PASM switch, heater, air- conditioning ...................................................system and all instruments
............X...............35---Replace Tire Sealant

************************************************************************************************************
Citation: 2013 Boxster S Maintenance Booklet; Maintenance Booklet pdf at Maintenance Intervals - Porsche Service - Service & Accessories - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG ; plus other Porsche-related online maintenance information

Disclaimer: Lime-Gold makes no assertion that this SUMMARY is totally complete/accurate or perhaps totally still currently applicable

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
This needs a sticky. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Thanks for listing these items. I have searched the list but I can't find the replacement of the spark plugs. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Thanks for listing these items. I have searched the list but I can't find the replacement of the spark plugs. Am I missing something?
Spark Plug replacement comes under the Major Service ("C") - every 4 years or 40,000 miles.

LG, thanks for the list, although the dealer service prices seem a bit low. I just had a "B" service done for about $700 (another dealer quoted a bit over $1,000), and the price in my area for an "A" service is about $375.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gregbj8,
Great get and :thanks: for reading all the details.
SPlugs got lost in the merging of various items from various sources. Part of MAJOR Maintenance shown now as #9 within the list re-number now. Can not get far without the plugs can we.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spark Plug replacement comes under the Major Service ("C") - every 4 years or 40,000 miles.

LG, thanks for the list, although the dealer service prices seem a bit low. I just had a "B" service done for about $700 (another dealer quoted a bit over $1,000), and the price in my area for an "A" service is about $375.
Roger all Tom K,

List has been updated as noted above. CPa is some what cheaper:banana:than other surrounding areas and States.

At the time I was getting those 4/2013 costs, the Dealer openly advised that I would find major differences in service costs (prices mostly higher) in other surrounding areas. He said Porsche then at least allowed Dealers to set LABOR costs based on their geographical location and norms. Back then he was charging $80/hr and my Inde (10 miles from me) was charging $60/hr.

Last I checked with my Dealer for "A" service it was $260 as of 10/2014 or up $35 in 18 mos.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Are these driven more by miles or months? I ask because I am just about at the two year point but only have 6000 miles on the car. The only thing I think really needs to be done is the brake fluid change.

Any thoughts?

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
Are these driven more by miles or months? I ask because I am just about at the two year point but only have 6000 miles on the car. The only thing I think really needs to be done is the brake fluid change.

Any thoughts?
Normally it is whatever comes first. And 2 years with only 6000 miles?! Wow...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Wow. Good thing I do my own maintenance...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm old school, but I think even the new recommendations say the oil should be changed annually regardless of miles. I just ordered a new GTS and I plan to do all, or nearly all, my own maintenance, just as I've done on my present CS for the past 6 years. I will be changing the oil/filter at 7500 miles unless I don't manage to put that many on the car in a year, in which case it will get the annual change. Coolant and transaxle fluid every two years, brake fluid every year, and air and cabin filters probably annually. I figure that these "excessive" maintenance intervals will still cost me less than paying a dealer to do it on Porsche's timetable. I already have the lift and tools so it will just be the cost of the parts/fluids, and I enjoy doing the work and figure its cheaper than paying a shrink for therapy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My 2014 Cayman is about to hit the 20k/2yr intermediate service time. My mileage is a little over 18k and I figure it will take about 2 to 3 more months before it hits 20k. If I pass the 2yr point and wait for 20k instead, will I void the warranty does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My 2014 Cayman is about to hit the 20k/2yr intermediate service time. My mileage is a little over 18k and I figure it will take about 2 to 3 more months before it hits 20k. If I pass the 2yr point and wait for 20k instead, will I void the warranty does anyone know?
How to interpret PCNA's Service of 20K miles or 2 Yrs age (this case or others) is ambiguous. LG always defaults to SAID service driven by AGE/TIME even though for a low mileage queen that can get you into serious $$$.

Ditto to Mitch above - Oil change once a year regardless of miles (LG's before she sleeps come Nov)

Call some DEALERs and get their call on issue (YRMV - :hilarious:) of a close Service AGE and MILEAGE issue. POST back if you get some valuable input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My CS has 16,000 miles at two years. I just dropped my car at the dealer and they wanted $1950 for the intermediate service with an additional $295 for brake fluid change. I have had Porsche, Audi and BMW and Mercedes for 40 years and have never heard of such a ripoff. I went for an oil change only at $400. I called a local indy shop and was quoted $395 for the oil and brake fluid. I'll never visit the dealer again unless it is a warranty issue.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have never heard of such a ripoff. I went for an oil change only at $400. I called a local indy shop and was quoted $395 for the oil and brake fluid. I'll never visit the dealer again unless it is a warranty issue.
Better not let X73 hear you talking like that :naughty:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, the local dealer let the head mechanic go as he was making too much. He was 2007 final round winner of Porsche Technician Challenge in Daytona Florida. He is now at the indy shop I am using. :burnout:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
My CS has 16,000 miles at two years. I just dropped my car at the dealer and they wanted $1950 for the intermediate service with an additional $295 for brake fluid change. I have had Porsche, Audi and BMW and Mercedes for 40 years and have never heard of such a ripoff. I went for an oil change only at $400. I called a local indy shop and was quoted $395 for the oil and brake fluid. I'll never visit the dealer again unless it is a warranty issue.
So did you tell your Porsche salesman that the amount of money they wanted for the CS was a total ripoff, because you could buy SIX base-model Ford Mustangs (each with as much horsepower as the CS) for the price that you chose to pay for the ONE CS that you bought from them, and you'd STILL have enough cash left over to buy a Mazda Miata for when you wanted to put the top down?

Yeah, I thought not...

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Actually, the local dealer let the head mechanic go as he was making too much.
Lol. Dealerships do NOT fire technicians for making too much money.

The more money the technician makes, the more money he's making for the dealership. Typically the technician makes about 30% and the dealership makes about 70%.

Dealerships fire technicians for things like stealing, lying, and substance abuse issues. Things that could damage the dealership's reputation or incur civil liability of Biblical proportions.

And those issues generally prevent them from getting another dealership job, which leaves only the independents as potential employers, especially since most independents don't do drug testing.

I wish you the very best in your gamble, but that's not one I'd be willing to risk my Porsche to.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Yep. After all there are only recovering alcoholics, drug addicts, and ex cons working at indys. :)
You'd probably be surprised at the percentage of independent repair shop technicians I stop, who have suspended or revoked driver's licenses.

And just because a guy can show you a driver's license in his wallet, does not mean that it's not suspended or revoked. It just means that he didn't surrender it when legally ordered to.

This is noteworthy, because of programs like "zebra" programs, where traffic stops of vehicles operated by unlicensed drivers, result in the vehicle being towed and the vehicle's registration being cancelled- EVEN IF THE VEHICLE DOES NOT BELONG TO THE DRIVER. And the "zebra" cannot be lifted, until the final disposition of the defendant's case, which could take YEARS. So you can pay for the tow bill and impound fees to get your car out of the tow company's storage lot, but you still won't be able to cross the sidewalk onto the public road- you'd have to pay AGAIN, to have your vehicle towed to your residence. Or you can just leave your car in the tow company's storage lot, accruing daily storage charges, until they are able to apply for a lien against your vehicle, and sell it at auction.

In the mean time, your car payments are still due on the car that you can't legally operate on public roads, even if it already got sold at auction.

Good luck with that. I've seen it happen.

Google " Vehicle and License Plate Sanctions - NHTSA ".

1 - 20 of 95 Posts