Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the PCar world and still learning all I can about my 2013 BB. I have basic skills that limit me pretty much to oil, brakes, and transmission fluid changes. I changed the oil and filter a couple weeks ago thanks to the valuable resources found on Planet-9.

While under the car, I could see the drain and fill plugs for the transmission were easily accessible. I have searched for a DIY, but haven't been able to find one. I understand that I'm not at the "recommended" interval yet for a change as my BB is only 7 years old and has 41k miles. Call it piece of mind, but I'd like to change it out.

Is anyone aware of a DIY? If not, can anyone recommend a specific fluid brand / type?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Go here for a download of the workshop manual.

Page 6031.

Dead simple. Drain and fill

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic...thank you!

Any "safe" alternatives to the HDP 500 Porsche transmission oil? Or is it best to stick with OEM fluid?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Personally I would put any 75W-90 fully synthetic hypoid GL5 gear oil. It's hard to get an exact spec on the hdp500, but it would be utterly bizarre in my view if it took anything else.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did a 986, as stated it was straightforward. The only thing I recall is needing a special socket I didn't have, I think it was a triple square if memory serves correctly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
At track events I am in the habit of chatting about various issues with professional techs who service race cars. I asked this question recently and was told, " For manuals, we ONLY use Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 gear oil."

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Sounds like a glowing endorsement but it occurs to me that the usage of a race car is far different than a daily driver. You might be thinking that it doesn't get any more demanding than racing. Probably true, but they also probably change all fluids much more frequently than the normal Porsche service intervals. Just thinking out-loud.:)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sounds like a glowing endorsement but it occurs to me that the usage of a race car is far different than a daily driver. You might be thinking that it doesn't get any more demanding than racing. Probably true, but they also probably change all fluids much more frequently than the normal Porsche service intervals. Just thinking out-loud.:)
Excellent thought. Same applies to brake fluid; don't use the high temp race stuff for normal road application. It absorbs water too easily.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My question to them was about frequency of diff/ trans change for a dual purpose car, and what to use.

They were very clear about the latter. The former was more nuanced. I thought the question here was "what to use," but if it is "how frequently to change a street-only car," correct, that wasn't discussed.

60 k miles makes sense to me for a street-only car.

I see no reason why Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil would not also be an excellent choice for a less-demanding street-only use, unless you want to save every last penny. For something that happens maybe once or twice in the life of a road car, that makes no sense; not, of course, that you said it did.

FYI I bought my 14 BS with around 20k miles and started DE events around 27k. It now has 32k. I did my first trans/ diff change around 32k and had the fluid analyzed. There is no reason to think that it had been changed before. It was fine.

But I am using the car harder now.

The Porsche track tech felt that once/ season was probably good for my use. They did it more frequently.

I have a long roadracing history in many dedicated race cars. These had a range of gear boxes, from stock VW to stock BMW to Hewland race dog box (no synchros) to Ford Racing dog box (no synchros).

SOP by fellow-racers at that level of the amateur but very intense game and as strongly echoed by my former race mechanic who now works on my Porsche was, " No less!"

That's what we will do: once/ season.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would put ONLY Porsche approved DCT fluid. That tranny is magic and I suspect the fluid is too. I've seen $40-50 per quart online.
Sorry about that, missed it in the title.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The question is what type of fluid to use. It sounds like the Mobil 1 may be a safe bet.

This may be a dumb question, but remember this is my first P car. Is there any type of friction modifier needed? On my e90 M3, I had to add a friction modifier to the diff fluid when I changed it due to grinding that would occur during low speed turns. With the Boxster, I'm guessing the trans / diff are all the same fluid? So, not sure if anything is needed in addition to the gear oil.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The question is what type of fluid to use. It sounds like the Mobil 1 may be a safe bet.

This may be a dumb question, but remember this is my first P car. Is there any type of friction modifier needed? On my e90 M3, I had to add a friction modifier to the diff fluid when I changed it due to grinding that would occur during low speed turns. With the Boxster, I'm guessing the trans / diff are all the same fluid? So, not sure if anything is needed in addition to the gear oil.
Good question, actually. No friction modifier!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would put ONLY Porsche approved DCT fluid. That tranny is magic and I suspect the fluid is too. I've seen $40-50 per quart online.
Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic gear only is only for MT Porsches. Do not use in PDK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts