Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. Thought I would create a thread on how to change your oil since there isn't a detailed one on the 981 sub forums. Please keep the thread on topic.

What you'll need

- Porsche Oil Filter Kit 9A110722400 (Includes oil filter element, filter cover O-ring, and crush washer for drain plug. I purchased mine at Suncoast. It happens to be the same kit as the 987.2.

- Mobil 1 0-40 oil. i purchased mine at Walmart in 2 5 quart jugs. Seems to be the best price at the moment.

- 8mm Allen wrench (torque specs- 37 ft-lbs drain plug, 19 ft-lbs oil filter cover...thanks RSchwerer)

- Oil filter wrench. I used the universal one from Sears with a 12" extension

- Everything else such as ramps/stands drain pan shop towels and a ziplock bag to wrap around the filter cover so oil doesn't spill everywhere when you remove the cover

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So Here is a general idea of where the drain plug and the oil filter cover are located. This picture was taken from the rear of the vehicle facing forward.

The second picture shows the location of the drain plug with allen wrench attached.

The third picture is the location of the oil filter cover.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is the drain plug. Note the blue dot. It was pointing straight back to the exhaust before I loosened it. See picture above. I was not able to get it to tighten to the same position when I replaced it. It felt really tight at a 10 O'clock position if you reference the initial postition to 12 O'clock. Hope that makes sense.

Note the crush washer is stuck to the drain plug bolt. It popped of with very little effort.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Picture 1-I used a craftsman adjustable oil filter remover with a 12" wobble extension and it worked really well.

Once I got the oil filter cover loose, I was able to place the ziplock bag (I used the ziplock bag that the new filter O-ring came in...fit perfectly) over the oil filter cover and remove the oil filter cover by hand with minimal mess.

Picture 2&3-I was able to slide my arm through the cutout on the left. I have skinny arms so YMMV. Don't get your arm stuck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pic 1-After I got the filter out. Cleaned up a couple of tiny drips. Ready to install the new filter

Pic 2- Oil filter cover in ziplock bag used from the filter kit O-ring. It caught most of the oil drips.

Pic3- Note the notch in the filter cover. I was able to grab the O-ring with a pair of needle nose pliers without causing any damage to the threading. I'm not sure if that's what it was made for but it made it easy to remove the O-ring.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Great write up. Does anyone have an actual torque spec for the drain plug?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Great write up. Does anyone have an actual torque spec for the drain plug?
I looked in the 987 forum and couldn't find one. That doesn't mean that one doesn't exist. The dot on the actual drain plug might be a good reference to what position to tighten it back to but i couldn't get the bolt to get that tight again. I got close to its original position.
Here:
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-service-tech/65374-oil-change-after-break.html

Says "19 ft. lbs. on filter housing and 37 on plug ". Likely the same for 981 since the engine is the same. However it's not a critical thing. I never have used a torq wrench for filter or plug. Just use care and common sense. Also never had one leak. But if it did, I'd just give it another 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's nice to know this thread exists! This may sound dumb, but how high, and how did you get your car up in the air? Just enough to crawl under? Thanks for the nice thread with pics. Jon

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's nice to know this thread exists! This may sound dumb, but how high, and how did you get your car up in the air? Just enough to crawl under? Thanks for the nice thread with pics. Jon
I used rhino ramps and backed the rear tires up on them. They're about 9" tall but then you add the tire and you end up with a descent amount of space. I was able to use a crawler for the whole project I believe. Hope it helps. The height at the rear bumper was around 2 feet? Should of taken pictures of the car on the ramps.:(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey BlackBehr,

Nice bit of information.

Without going to my local Porsche Dealer/Parts Center do you happen to know if the new 2014 Cayman (3.4l) using the same oil filter. I searched the web and there is little if any maintenance parts listed (as yet) for the 2014 Cayman.

Thanks . . . .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey BlackBehr,

Nice bit of information.

Without going to my local Porsche Dealer/Parts Center do you happen to know if the new 2014 Cayman (3.4l) using the same oil filter. I searched the web and there is little if any maintenance parts listed (as yet) for the 2014 Cayman.

Thanks . . . .
I'm glad it came in handy. I'm 99% sure that's its the same engine with only a magical 10hp increase :( I'm sure you can your local service department or if you order it from suncoast they'll be able to answer the question for you. Really great customer service.

·
Registered
362 Posts
after changing the oil, is can u manually rest the service interval for it?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Thanks! How much was the kit total?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem. The oil filter kit was $23.78+shipping from Suncoast. I ordered my clear markers at the same time to offset some of the shipping cost.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
No problem. The oil filter kit was $23.78+shipping from Suncoast. I ordered my clear markers at the same time to offset some of the shipping cost.
So with shipping it would be around $40 I guess. Just trying to figure out financial advantages of changing oil yourself. Still not clear considering you need $300 tool.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok. I gotcha. It would be 36 shipped where I live. Each jug of oil cost me 22.98 at my local Walmart+ tax. So approx 50 for oil (you end up with extra...can be used if you need to add oil later) and 36 for filter kit + an hour of your time. Half that time spent letting oil drain out. So less than 100 is way better than 300 no? If you have to buy ramps and a drain pan and filter a wrench it'll still be less than 200 and those items are one time costs. Hope that helps.

·
Administrator
34,460 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't notice this thread sooner, can you please copy/paste the text and images into the Articles section and create an actual article there please? I can feature it in the next newsletter!

Thanks!

(PS there is a How To Tutorial on creating articles in the Articles section)

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Ok. I gotcha. It would be 36 shipped where I live. Each jug of oil cost me 22.98 at my local Walmart+ tax. So approx 50 for oil (you end up with extra...can be used if you need to add oil later) and 36 for filter kit + an hour of your time. Half that time spent letting oil drain out. So less than 100 is way better than 300 no? If you have to buy ramps and a drain pan and filter a wrench it'll still be less than 200 and those items are one time costs. Hope that helps.
So it's 86 + 300 for the durametrix tool. So about $150 if spread the tool cost over 5 years, right?

1 - 20 of 414 Posts