Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
All I can assume is that these guys think the 914-6 was the first mid engined porsche. There are many 20-low 30 somethings that think the world begain when they were born. That would make the 914-6 more like a Model T for the rest of us.

According to the March 2015 issue of GT Porsche magazine, "The Cayman only offers a perfect modern sports car recipe thanks to the existence of the 914-6."

Say what?

·
Registered
425 Posts
According to the March 2015 issue of GT Porsche magazine, "The Cayman only offers a perfect modern sports car recipe thanks to the existence of the 914-6."

Say what?
I think the 550 and 904 were also mid engined Porsches. Maybe in addition to engine placement they are drawing the lineage due to the 914 being Porsche's entry level offering in the same way that the Boxster/Cayman is Porsches current entry level offering?

I've always though the 914s were cool and the 914/6 is legendary. I don't think the comparison is all that out of place, well at least as a spiritual descendent if not an actual platform descendent (which it clearly isn't).

·
Vendor
703 Posts
I think they're just paying homage to the fact that this is not the first time anyone shoved a 911 engine in a mid-engine Porsche and had everyone get all woodied up about it for years to come. We had the Jagermeister 914/6 in the shop one day and I would swear that it kept "mad-dogging" our GX car with some sort of Old Dog vs. Young Dog beef!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
"The Cayman only offers a perfect modern sports car recipe thanks to the existence of the 914-6."
Sounds good to me. :drivingskid:

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
All I can assume is that these guys think the 914-6 was the first mid engined porsche. There are many 20-low 30 somethings that think the world begain when they were born. That would make the 914-6 more like a Model T for the rest of us.
What if you say "The little bastard". Who'd get that?

No! I'm not that old... I'm just enlightened about Porsche's history. Well, the part that relates to celebrities ;)

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
When Porsche first came out with the Boxster they drew parallels to Porsche 550 Spyder. The Cayman followed the Boxster. I would say that the Cayman owes its existence to the 550 Spyder.

I am old enough to remember the "little bastard". I was 9 years old in 1955.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Maybe you can post some more of the article to give us some context. I don’t see what’s so controversial.

The sentence you posted doesn’t say that the 914-6 is the *only* reason the Cayman exists. It simply says that it was one of the necessary steps leading up to the Cayman. Who is really in a position to prove what Porsche cars would be like if they had not made the 914-6, or if they had not made any of their other cars? It is idle and useless speculation....
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would say that the Cayman owes its existence to the 550 Spyder.
As proof of concept (mid-engined), I see that; but it might be defensible to say the 914-6 was a direct ancestor of the 981 as "great all-around production sports car for about the cost of 2.71 Toyota Corollas". :2cents:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts