Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered std. suspension on my CS as I want this as a daily driver with hopefully no worries over speed bumps and steep driveways but still to have some level of comfort and sporty handling...

I know X73 Sports suspension will give the car a much improved stance and handling but I think it's too low and would compromise what I want from the car... I don't tend to track my car mainly due to extortionate Insurance premiums for track day Insurance in UK.

Who's got stock suspension and how are you finding it day to day... Happy or do you have regrets not paying for the optional PASM or X73?

I did have a short test drive in both std and PASM car and was happy with the std. suspension but my test drive was some months back and my memory is starting to get fuzzy!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've been on standard susp. for about 6 months. So far reasonably happy.
I honestly think it could be a bit firmer, but is is certainly comfortable.

My buddy's got PASM (same year). It works great on perfectly manicured back roads, tightening the suspension just where you want it. On the other hand, it's a disaster on the highway - it felt so weird I had to turn it off. It's also not great on "real world" rutted or broken back roads either, as it fights to try to correct for stuff that you're probably going to avoid.

I am sure PASM is great in Germany.......

Overall, if price were no object, I'd get it, because it's one more thing to fiddle with and turn on and off (which I view as part of the fun), but for the price and the chance of finding perfect roads here in the Northeast, I'm glad I passed. Given the number of road humps and other garbage on our thoroughfares I'm not sure I would sacrifice 20mm of ground clearance for X73, I barely make it into my parking lot at work as it is. So, while wishing the standard was a bit stiffer, I'm reasonably happy.

PSE on the other hand, brings joy on a daily basis :)

Reactions: Dan and swessels

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I've been on standard susp. for about 6 months. So far reasonably happy.
I honestly think it could be a bit firmer, but is is certainly comfortable.

My buddy's got PASM (same year). It works great on perfectly manicured back roads, tightening the suspension just where you want it. On the other hand, it's a disaster on the highway - it felt so weird I had to turn it off.
Huh? You can't turn PASM "off". It is always on, either in Normal or Sport mode. Are you suggesting that you did not like sport mode when highway driving?

This is my second Cayman with PASM and think the system works perfectly fine for spirited driving on public roads. I've not tracked the car so have no comment in that regard.

Reactions: Dino944

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got the std suspension with 19" wheels and think it's about perfect for street driving. Handles excellent and has astonishing compliance over the rubble they call roads here in Pennsylvania. Of course, the stiff chassis also plays a role. Are you going 19 or 20" wheels? If I had gone with 20's I probably would have upgraded to PASM. After living with this suspension for 8K miles I'm guessing PASM would not have been necessary with the 20's. I think you'll be happy with the std setup, especially as a DD!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the std suspension with 19" wheels and think it's about perfect for street driving. Handles excellent and has astonishing compliance over the rubble they call roads here in Pennsylvania. Of course, the stiff chassis also plays a role. Are you going 19 or 20" wheels? If I had gone with 20's I probably would have upgraded to PASM. After living with this suspension for 8K miles I'm guessing PASM would not have been necessary with the 20's. I think you'll be happy with the std setup, especially as a DD!
Sorry should have mentioned, I'm staying with 19's

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the standard suspension and 19" wheels and my Boxster is a daily driver. I have ~12000 miles since last February and I have no regrets about skipping the PASM option.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Std and 18s. Great on the highway and the twisty bits, perfect for a DD. Bit soft for track, but useable.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
20 inch wheels and standard suspension. No regrets. Initially I thought the suspension was rather firm, but it got a bit smoother after break in to where its completely tolerable even on the roughest roads. No body roll pushing the car to the limits... The backend starts coming out before body roll becomes a concern. Some body roll is a good thing as it makes the car more fun on the streets.

if I was going to track, maybe the sport suspension would be nice. In that case I'd want a bigger engine too.

IMO smoother suspension is a pro of his car...lower center of gravity and balance allows less body roll with a softer suspension. Getting something stiffer seems pointless as I have zero problems with body roll and the standard is already firm enough.

i do notice that the larger wheels with higher tire pressure make a big difference in handling.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the std suspension and 19s on my 15cs DD and think the setup is just about perfect. I don't track my car. I drove all the different combinations of tires and suspensions and this was my favorite for the driving I do. There are no ground clearance problems and I think the car looks great with the 19s.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I too have std suspension on my '15 CS w/ 19" wheels and use it as a DD. Prior to order, I tested the PASM and std suspension back to back. I didn't find too much of a difference between the two probably due to the limited time behind the wheel. Both felt compliant over imperfections of the road and handled great. Obviously, it was a huge improvement over my Audi with coilover suspension, in every way. I grew tired of the low clearance of my Audi; constantly on the lookout for steep entrance ramps into parking lots, speed bumps, etc. Even my own driveway I would need to take at a shallow angle in order to avoid scraping. It became a major pain in the arse. In regards to clearance, I doubt the 10mm difference between the PASM and std suspension would make a huge difference for most. So, for me, it came down to value.

I have no regrets not selecting PASM. I love the ride! But, I'm sure I'd say the same if I had gone the PASM route, as most have stated here. Whichever way you dial-up your 981, you're going to love it. If you look at my signature, my CS is almost bone stock and I have no regrets at all. Did I mention, I love my CS!

Reactions: oksailor

·
Registered
911 Posts
Std and 18s. Great on the highway and the twisty bits, perfect for a DD. Bit soft for track, but useable.
Same here. After 22,000 miles, I do not regret this set up as it is perfect for the long distance touring and mountain roads for which I bought the Boxster. And my OEM Goodyears actually have about 5k miles left on the rears and at least 10~15k on the fronts.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Based on my own experience with the 986, and reading various suspensions threads here, I think that any suspension from Porsche is going to be pretty darn good. Yes one can tune among the three options, but as long as you stay stock you're not going to go too far astray.

Reactions: TimD

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all... I'm staying stock :)

Been told my car arrives in 3 weeks so I guess probably locked down now so I'm happy with my original decision after all your comments!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Don't think you will be disappointed with the ride. I have the stock suspension with 19" wheels and have had the car for almost a year with no problems in the handling department.

·
Registered
368 Posts
No problem here, 18" wheels, good ground clearance (Utah!), plenty suspension travel. Except smooth race track fully satisfied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a base Cayman with the stock suspension and 18" wheels. On city streets, backroads, and trips to the mountains, the suspension is perfect and the ride height is appreciated. What astonished me, though, was how good this setup works on the track. After a series of quite highly modified 911 track cars, I was expecting my 981 to be too soft, but I loved it! A buddy wagered that the base suspension on a new Cayman would be better than any of the tricked out suspensions on my old Porsches, and I think he was right! Sure, an upgraded suspension on the Cayman would be even better on the track, but at this point I'm having so much fun that I don't care, and I love the sublime steetability of the base suspension. Couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Std with 20s and no problems or regrets. In fact I'm delighted I didn't spend money on PASM as the std handles everything thrown at it with ease. I doubt it would even make much difference on the track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts