Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let's hope that the title of this topic thread at least gets people to read this topic, one can only hope. There's something I want to ask our 981 owners out there that has cropped up several times over the last week in one form or another that it seemed prudent for me to ask and try to uncover if I'm simply witnessing an anomaly or if something else is going on here. Recently some examples of a lack of information on the 981 have surfaced, to name a few there was an incident this past week when I told a member to look up how to take off the carpet and top engine cover on a 981 in our Articles section because I "thought" someone had documented that last year. Turns out they didn't, or if they did, I couldn't find it (should be in the Articles section and it isn't). My apologies to that member, I simply thought they hadn't looked. I'm puzzled as how something so basic as getting to the top of your engine hasn't been documented. How are people installing plenums etc? Ok, follow this up with a sale on Bilstein suspension parts for the 981 (keep in mind they make the factory PASM system). A member is questioning the effectiveness of installing that suspension because evidently no other member has either installed it, or if they have, they haven't documented it. Again, there is a full article on the same suspension for the 987, just like there is engine cover removal information for the 987, but somehow the 981 information is lacking.

I almost feel like I have to go out and buy a 981 and start tearing it apart and documenting things because others aren't doing so, but I'm puzzled as to WHY others aren't doing so. In the "old" 987 days our articles section had only a plain text editor and I had to teach people how to create articles and they still slogged their way through the process, now we have a WYSIWYG editor with photo insertion capabilities and there is a certainly a lack of 981 based articles as compared to how many 987 articles there were after the 987 had been out for 18 months. Now sure, some things are probably almost identical between the 987 and 981, like oil changes, but some things are completely different, like air filter changes!

So when I got asked tonight by another 987 owner who was contemplating buying a 981 why there was such a lack of 981 information (as compared to 987) I really didn't have an answer. I told him that I needed to sit down and write a post and create a topic and ask everyone in the hope of getting some feedback to offer some guidance on the subject. I have some thoughts on why there may be this difference, but I don't want to influence the answers of our members so I will hold mine until after this discussion had gotten under way for a few days.

I DO want to be clear that if you are a 981 owner and you see an article in our Articles section that was done for a 987 that it is perfectly fine to create the same/similar article as it applies to the 981. Oil changes, filter changes, bumper removal, side vent removal, seat removal, suspension changes, brake upgrades, etc. etc. are all welcome. It's winter time, most people aren't out driving so maybe now is a good time to tinker with your 981, take photos and write up an article. Please remember the purpose of this website is to help our fellow members, and one way to do that is to document things you do to your car and share them among other members who may want to do the same thing or something similar.

Thanks in advance for your replies, and no I don't really think there is something wrong with all of you 981 owners, I'm just trying to get my head around why things are different...
Maybe it is the lack of speed yellow... :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
+1. How has nobody installed the TPC Stage 1 or Stage 4 suspension, but we have 100 topics on the x73 suspension which is basically a lowering spring? Nobody has really done a BBK either, other than installing the 991S brakes which I'm not convinced is a great idea. The GT4 won't be a lift off of the 991S brakes.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Don't know about Speed Yellow. Racing Yellow is a 981 Colour though.:hilarious:

Lime Gold has 2 981 articles documented.:)

:naughty:

·
Registered
208 Posts
In my opinion The 981 is simply too nice out of the box and many owners will prefer to enjoy their vehicle the way it came from the factory.

I purchased my 981 to be used 80% for DE's 20% street. I performed basic mods for lap time improvement - brakes, suspension, exhaust, wheels and tires. Along with a few aesthetic mods such as clear side markers, wheel spacers, grill covers, hood, mirror and gas tank cover wrap.

Seats, harnesses, (looking at the new FVD bar) going in this winter along with air filters and sport headers. Holding off on plenum until there is a tune.

Up to this time, all work as been performed DIY.

Point is, the 981 is simply too nice to completely turn into a track box and lose the street-ability. At lease during the first few years of ownership that is. In hindsight, I should have listened to my son and purchased a used race car or purchased a used 987 and built one ourselves.

The lack of info on things like "how to remove engine cover" is frustrating. I even purchased the shop manual and parts guide. The documentation is terrible. No index, nearly impossible to find what you are looking for. However, a lot of the work I performed was made easier from tips found on this site.

Since track season is over, I have her back in street mode and really looking forward to taking wifely out to a few holiday social events. The car is always a hit and the valets are happy to let me self park and leave the car out front.

I'll try to document and post my next DIY project for all to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I spend the majority of my time on Planet 9. But, I am also a member of CaymanRegister and there are some articles there including the 981 engine cover removal. I find that I sometimes think we have the articles here because I have read it over there. That may also be the case for some others. Perhaps folks who have posted articles in other sites, not just CaymanRegister, might consider posting to Planet 9 (as long as it does violate any agreements.............).

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
... Please remember the purpose of this website is to help our fellow members, and one way to do that is to document things you do to your car and share them among other members who may want to do the same thing or something similar.... I'm just trying to get my head around why things are different...
Totally agree. Here is an example http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-service-tech/103034-981-over-rev-reports.html

The FAQ or articles section needs to be built. 987 owners have no incentive to find out this information but 981 owners might want to find out.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
but I'm puzzled as to WHY others aren't doing so.
Uh, because it's twelve weeks old?:taunt:

Please re-post the topic in 24 months, by then I'll have taken a wrench to it.:cheers:

Reactions: Laaaaaaaaapis981

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I think many of us, myself included, simply have no desire to really get into these cars and start taking them apart. In my own case, I have no urge to modify anything and am happy with the car as it is. It was ordered the way I wanted it, and my enjoyment comes from driving it.

Aside from routine maintenance, I would bet that the vast majority of 981 owners go no further than detailing the car.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spend the majority of my time on Planet 9. But, I am also a member of CaymanRegister and there are some articles there including the 981 engine cover removal. I find that I sometimes think we have the articles here because I have read it over there. That may also be the case for some others. Perhaps folks who have posted articles in other sites, not just CaymanRegister, might consider posting to Planet 9 (as long as it does violate any agreements.............).
Authors are allowed to post their articles wherever they see fit, so if someone has posted an article to another site they should consider posting it here as well to continue to build our library of articles. Someone other than the author cannot repost it elsewhere without the author's approval. So if you are the author of an article that is posted elsewhere why not share it here as well?

I think the problem that comes into play is that other sites that require you to pay for them like the cayman register site don't want to see their authors post elsewhere or then why would people pay for the information on their site. Our philosophy is different, we believe information should be shared freely for the benefit of all, no membership is required to view our articles.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think many of us, myself included, simply have no desire to really get into these cars and start taking them apart. In my own case, I have no urge to modify anything and am happy with the car as it is. It was ordered the way I wanted it, and my enjoyment comes from driving it.

Aside from routine maintenance, I would bet that the vast majority of 981 owners go no further than detailing the car.
StanNH,
Understood and I'm not advocating that everyone start swapping out suspensions, etc. but you mention routine maintenance and there is still a lack of information for simple maintenance items for the 981, hence wondering why.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
My view has been that the things I have done to my 981 BS thus far have been pretty mundane - installing the front grilles from Zunsport, putting mats in - and aren't really "article" worthy. I am getting ready to install an FVD exhaust system in a week or so and I guess I could do some photos and write that up - although I am far from the first to install an aftermarket exhaust system on a 981 as BJR posted an article on Fabspeed Sports Headers and Cats with PSE installation back in 2013.

I guess what I am saying is that what I am doing to my 981 someone else has already done and I don't consider my work deserving of an "article". In the future I will take a quick check of the articles section and see if what I am planning on doing has been documented -- and if not I will make every effort to put something together.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
i have a few articles in my blog.. and i have posted here...

here is a link to our articles..shock install on 981, big brakes replacement, how to install spacers, how to remove front headlights , how to oil change and few more

http://blog.schnellautosports.com

including how to install a 981 aftermarket shocks..

Kman is right. we should make more of it..

lemon

·
Registered
747 Posts
My opinion and it's only my opinion is every time I post something technical or hands-on it gets moved to a subform. The subforms do not have as much traffic and therefore less participation. This this is one of the reasons that there's less hands-on information on this form.

For years I was tracking lotuses and lotus talk is a very good example of a hands-on form. Lots of good information easy to access.

I do like his form and I feel it's probably the most popular 981 forum. I would like to see more useful information because I the real value of a car fourm is sharing useful information. The post I started giving owners an opportunity to share issues hopefully will be of use to members. I certainly would like to see more. Carl

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I do find rennlist from does have more info.

As already mentioned, 981 is still fairly new. It's even hard to find upgrade parts much less documentation of results of other people installing them.

981 is near the top of the factory bought street sports car, so many people aren't that motived to upgrade. Youll see lots of talk about HP upgrades (IPD, exhaust, headers, programming) because this isn't the fastest car and that motivates people. Stuff like suspension seems best in class and people are less motivated to upgrade. Granted you can discover you want upgrades once you start tracking the car to the limit.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I do find rennlist from does have more info.

As already mentioned, 981 is still fairly new. It's even hard to find upgrade parts much less documentation of results of other people installing them.

981 is near the top of the factory bought street sports car, so many people aren't that motived to upgrade. Youll see lots of talk about HP upgrades (IPD, exhaust, headers, programming) because this isn't the fastest car and that motivates people. Stuff like suspension seems best in class and people are less motivated to upgrade. Granted you can discover you want upgrades once you start tracking the car to the limit.
This post closely mimics what I am thinking. Basically it's why mess with perfection? My "mods" have been the clear side markers and the Zunsport grill inserts and that's it. Nothing else on this car needs "fixing". One other thing, since we are here on this forum, I suspect that we frequent other forums, and other brands and one thing that has become VERY clear to me is the fact that manufacturers are getting very likely to void a warranty for the most minor of changes and these cars are very expensive and some of us, me included, stretched a little to get this car and don't really fit into the "Porsche financial demographic". Hence the lack of mods, besides, Porsche built a REALLY GOOD car and it needs very little for the vast majority of us.

Do we need a better FAQ or sticky area? Probably, but all the info is out there on the web sooooooooo?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also find it rather disheartening to see that vendors aren't exactly showing much enthusiasm for the 981 as they are for the 991 or even the 987. They should be showcasing their products and showing off some install guides via the forums just to give their customer base (us) confidence that we can purchase their product and install it ourselves. The mess with the IPD plenum on the modifications forum is just one example of how half-assed I'm finding the aftermarket is for the 981. Not even the Chinese carbon fiber vendors are showing anything, even though Porsche owners are huge suckers for it ;). I definitely appreciate what some of our reseller vendors like Schnell have been posting in regards to modification/maintenance guides but I really would like to see more from the manufacturers themselves. Coming from the Bimmerpost, the aftermarket folks would constantly post stuff on things on the pipeline and pre-releases etc. Granted the population there is probably 10x larger, it still helps create a sale. Don't get me started on some of the aftermarket wheel vendors, I swear some of them don't even know what offsets work on the 981 or not.

As for general maintenance stuff, the car is still too new and if you look at what's required to maintain within the first 1-3 years, it's just oil changes, filter changes, and maybe brake fluid flushes, all of which many folks probably would prefer to do at the dealer simply to keep records and warranty preservation. For many here I imagine this is their first Porsche so they're probably even less inclined to tinker around such an expensive vehicle that has gradually increased in entry price since the introduction of the 987. With the higher entry price the demographics probably has changed in regards to who's buying a 981 compared to those that bought a 987. I eagerly await for a fully fleshed out article on our spark plug change and accessory drive belt change which should come at the 4-5 year mark.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Do we need a better FAQ or sticky area? Probably, but all the info is out there on the web sooooooooo?
Well that's up to the owners. Obviously the 987 owners felt differently, but they have no horse in this race or have moved on. You all do have horse in this race.

There have been times people ask technical questions, find the answer for the 987 in the FAQ, but nothing for the 981. Why is that? The car is four year old. It's not new. It's about to be replaced!

Sure, the answers might be somewhere out on the web, but usually never in one place. So it becomes a matter of convenience. In fact, does anyone know the exact rpms limits on the 981 engines for over rev ranges? No one has spoken up yet. Or maybe no one cares because no one has a MT anymore.

If you have a horse in this race, you might want to be able to find everything in one location, a FAQ or Wiki. Or you might be doing a lot of searching, which is the default choice that exists now. In other words, do nothing, like now, and you have nothing.

Act, volunteer, and help build a better place, and the next generation of 981 owners will have a FAQ and Articles section to work on their second and third hand 981s, which exists for the 987 cars. If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for future 981 owners as Ken indicated the purpose of this website is to help our fellow members.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Ken,

You would have a better handle on this than anyone... Were there as many tech articles on the 987 when it had been out as long as the 981 is now? Was this forum up when or before the 987 came out (ie, more of a head start?).

I currently have no horse in this race (unless the PCA raffle comes through for me!), but I definitely have an interest in this forum being all things to all Cayman/Boxster owners, or as much as is practical.

John

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Good topic! I'm not buying the "it's so perfect we don't want to modify it" line--it's not true and it wasn't the case for the 987 during the first four years of its life. I'm getting my GTS this month and I plan on removing both bumpers and "doing my thing" with it asap. I've read how difficult it is to remove the engine cover (certainly 10x harder than doing so in a 987, which I've done about a zillion times.) The engine cover doesn't have to be removed to swap out the air filters on a 981, so there's a major reason why Porsche didn't make it so easy as in the earlier model. Schnell Auto has posted quite a few things about the mods they've done to the 981--most interesting and helpful also. I've found information about most things 981 throughout the internets. Maybe people aren't accumulating it on Planet 9 because it's elsewhere? Generally I like the idea of P9 having "everything 987/981" all in one place, but perhaps people are using the internet differently now than five years ago?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
To directly address the topic... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that one of my flaws may be OCD. :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts